Any legal experts on here? Please help

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Ive done a quick youtube video on removing a stiff Nitecore bezel. It involved using pliers which scratched my bezel. Ive said in the video and in the description it's a risk to your light. Is this enough to pass liability to anyone who decides to Copy me if they end up damaging their light or themselves
I don't want to get sued
Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Ainsley

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Keep it together bro. Don't get nervous.

Perhaps it is too late to place a scroll across the screen at the start indicating something about "do this at your own risk" or something. If not do that.

It's a darn shame ya have to enough think like that. But in the days of Pepsi bottles having warnings about opening away from your face or shampoo stating not for human consumption it's reality man.

And for fyi I use neoprene rubber between the vice grips and bezel for max grip without any scratching or gouging.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Thanks mr fixer. Ill try and put a disclaimer over the video. I wanted to share the information to try and help others, but it can end up biting you in the bum
Your method makes sense. I guess it depends on what tools you have at your disposal.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If people couldn't sue the guy that made a prank "add a headphone jack to your iPhone 7 by drilling into it" video, they can't sue you for them scratching their lights. It's not like you scratched their lights ;)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
There is a crazy 'spoof' video on how to reload a .38Spl cartridge using an inappropriate powder and a hammer. I have modeled that 'load' with sophisticated thermodynamic software and it produces ~8x the SAAMI spec for the .38Spl. The video is a bit tongue-in-cheek, as you'd expect.

The above sounds off-topic I know, but my feeling is that since that video is still up, I don't think you have much to worry about. :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the misinformation that is out on the webz, I honestly don't know why you would be concerned. But, kudos for being a stand up guy. I would carry on and enjoy yourself.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did a how to remove a fender thread at another forum to help folks know the order to remove screws, replace them later and to note that as per usual with the particular automaker, just when you think you are done there is that usual hidden one like so many other places on that model of car.
Sounds plenty harmless, right?

Well a nice young lady crashed her car and decided to remove the fender. She went looking for a how to.
The one she used was done long before I did mine. It did not take into account certain dynamics can occur if things are not done in the proper sequence. Nor did it mention how to relieve those tensions or protect yourself if/when the worst happens.
A portion of her fender was under a big load of tension due to the dent. And when she haphazardly started removing screws the tension suddenly relieved itself to her thigh. Unfortunately she ended up having her leg amputated as a result.

My how to began with an advisory to let people know that under certain conditions this procedure may maim or kill. I used the same how to to remove my dented fender but understood before getting started this thing may suddenly uncoil and took precautions.
At the end of my how to I included a link to the story of the young lady.
It's just good manners to alert viewers that they may need to give some thought to how they proceed. And if you end up in court for some crazy reason a jury will be pleased that at least you tried to do your due diligence.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I greatly appreciate all the advice. Ive stuck a brief disclaimer at the beginning of the video. First video ive attempted to edit. I want to make a good go of this you tubing thing. Ill post a link once uploaded if anyones interested.
Thanks again

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Very good.

Yes using the method does have the potential for a heckuva jab to your webbing between fingers (Ouch!) and folks with greasy, sticky, nasty, rusty tools could end up with a need for a tetinus shot, stitches or an infection.
Good addition at the outset.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Other than an adjustable spanner wrench for bicycles it seems like the most practical tool one could use mr torches... and how many folks even know what an adjustable spammer wrench for bicycles is, much less owns one.

It's a very handy tool for removing crank shafts on single speed bikes like little kids bikes or those $39 beach cruisers at WalMart, but long ago were one of the most used tools for spring maintenance of crank bearings etc.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Ahhh you're taking me back to my youth here. I used to do trials riding and was always on my bike. If I wasnt riding it i was fixing it, or upgrading it. Good times

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ahhh you're taking me back to my youth here. I used to do trials riding and was always on my bike. If I wasnt riding it i was fixing it, or upgrading it. Good times

Trials riding is an art form.
I had a neighbor whose dads did trials on a motorcycle in the 70's and 80's.
To see him from a dead stand still bunny hop a 125cc motorcycle 2' off the ground, with a seemless sideways table top motion to make the back wheel bounce off a tree at a near flat angle, goose the throttle and 180 off the tree... all in about what seemed like 3/4 of a second...the guy was amazing.
As time progressed he became a bull dozer operator who drank way too much beer. He ended up destroying one of his legs in a crash where in a drunken bet decided to jump his motorcycle over his bulldozer while it was still on the trailer that hauled it around, using the ramps on the trailer you use to drive the bulldozer off of said trailer.
He actually cleared the bulldozer but his leg apparently broke when he landed.
It was folk lore in my town for years....

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Motor bike trials is cool....i don't know why but i didnt imagine it was around in the 70's?!
Shame it seems it's hard on the ole body though same as mountain bike trials. My knees are shot since i damaged my cartlidge at 16. That put an end to my riding.