White LEDs-Chi Wing or Besthongkong?

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
Is there anybody who has experience with one or both sellers? Wich one sells the "best" white LEDs, I mean both the brightest,whitest color and most uniform beam...:)

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
I've only dealt with Chi Wing, myself. Craig has a review of the white LEDs up on the LED Museum, the 5000 mcd and the 8000 mcds. I've purchased 1,000s of parts from him and been very pleased with the response, delivery, prices and quality. Just placed another order yesterday for 1000 more, along with cr2016s and 927s. Very helpful. And like the 2016s, if you don't see it on Ebay, ask.. Even better prices as a bulk quote.. Usually takes a week or 10 days.

Very pleased with the 8000 mcd whites. Just ordered the 10000 mcd ones..

Hope this helps. I'm xistornut on Ebay as a reference.

drs the crazed.

UK Owl

Enlightened
Bought a bag of whites from chi-wing about a couple of months ago (when they only sold the 5000 mcd ones), took just over a week to come, lots of pretty HK stamps on the envelope, fairly bright LED's with a nice even beam (no blotches), but were slightly bluish when compared to nichia's (but no worse than other low cost LED's I have bought.

Main thing : Price is VERY CHEAP.

would have been a bargain at a price 50% higher !

sorry but I can not comment on the besthongkong ones as I have never tried them !

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
Here's the Ebay store. If you have special requests, you can use the 'ask vendor a question' link on any of his items. His Shipping/handling is included on most auction items worldwide. He will also quote directly. Usually ansers in 24 hours. Tell 'em DeWayne sent ya.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://stores.ebay.com/chiwingledproductshop

yours, drs the crazed.

chalo

Newly Enlightened
I've bought twice now from BestHongHong. Altogether I've gotten 100 pcs. each of 10000mcd white, 4000mcd blue, and UV, and 50 pcs. of 12000mcd green. Every LED I have powered has been bright and in every way up to my expectations.

The 10000mcd white LEDs have a bright and smallish hotspot with a distinct ring thrown much wider at about 100 to 120 degrees included angle. They are a truer white than most of the cheap white LEDs I have seen (which are mostly quite blue). The hotspot size and brightness and beam color are identical to my Infinity Ultra Government.

In the quantities I bought, with shipping included, whites were $.25 each, greens $.40, and blues and UVs were $.15 apiece.

Chalo Colina

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've ordered from Chi wing multiple times-both their white LEDs and several colors, including UV. For the price I'm very happy. The whites are bright, with an even beam, and not obnoxiously blue like some of the cheaper white LEDs. I would estimate their color temp at about 6500K-about the same as a daylight fluorescent. For many uses this is fine, although I might prefer something closer to Luxeon's 5500K for general small lighting needs.

Has anyone compared Chi Wing and Besthongkong? I've never ordered from Besthongkong. Are their white LEDs bluer or whiter than Chi Wing's?

reviewum

Enlightened
Okay Okay... I know... It's an old thread, but I have to ask!

Any updates on the comparisons between these two companies? It seems that both are now offering brighter MCD LEDs. Any comments?

Another question. Chi Wing has the 5,000 mcd (which I bought the last time) and now the 10,000 mcd LEDs. Has anyone purchased these and compared if they are much brighter, or just have a tighter viewing angle?

Thanks!

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the question.

I'm looking for 10,000+mcd white leds with little to no blue in them. Which are the better ones to buy?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think chiwing makes 15,000mcd also. I have been yanking LEDs out of cheap flashlights but the leads are cut off which makes them harder to work with. I am figuring on ordering about 100 white LEDs for around 25 cents apiece when I can afford it. I wonder how many would have to be bought in a group buy to get the price down to where it is worth it. Looks like you only save about 2 cents each by going from 100 to 1000 in quantity.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ODatsBright said:
I'm looking for 10,000+mcd white leds with little to no blue in them. Which are the better ones to buy?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't tried these yet but BestHongKong has a 14,000+ mcd pure white LED. A little pricey compared to some of the others at $34.99 per 100 but it looks like it's a purer white. Also, according to their website shipping is free.

Since this thread was started I've tried BestHongKong's 10,000 mcd whites and 12,000 mcd green. The green is the brightest and highest output (In terms of lumens) 5mm LED I've ever seen, period. The white is very similar to the Chi-Wing 8000 mcd which I have except that while Chi-Wing's have a slight bluish tint BestHongKong has a very slight purplish tint. Both look fairly white in isolation, though, and even side by side the differences are hard to tell. Output seems comparable, although the BestHongKong white has a slightly narrower beam and hence brighter hotspot. Since I now own a light meter, I plan to set myself up to do long term tests to see which holds up better in constant usage.

As for the group buys on these which Lynx_Arc suggested, I'm not sure if it's even worthwhile given that you'll only save two or three cents per LED. Even going to 100K quantities typically only drops the price by maybe eight or nine cents, and doing so means that someone here would have to lay out over $10K as well as deal with splitting the order up to the few hundred people who might want in. That's a lot to ask of someone to do in their free time.

Since I'm interested in trying the BestHongKong pure whites I mentioned earlier I might personally be game to maybe handle a group buy of 1000 or so (the price in 500s and probably for 1000 is $0.29 each, or $0.06 less than in 100s). I'll keep 100 for myself, and charge everyone else who is interested $32.22 (less if the price for 1000 is less than $0.29 each) + actual shipping per 100 pcs so that I get my 100 for free to cover my time splitting the order up (and for testing the LEDs so I don't send anyone duds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). I don't have time to deal with anything much larger than that, though, and I'm not splitting the order into anything smaller than 50 piece lots, either. If you only want 10 or so and this group buy happens then contact someone who bought into it.

reviewum

Enlightened
jtr1962 - great post. Thanks!

So, are you saying you are going to test each and every LED??? I sure hope I misread that..... what a bunch of work!

I sure would like to see someone with a meter check the 14k MCD from besthongkong and the new 15k MCD from Chi Wing and compare them to eachother and their 5k and 10k little brothers!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It actually doesn't take me that long. I just pop them in a test socket which feeds them 20 mA and if it lights up, it's good. I've tested 100 LEDs in about five or six minutes, so the whole batch of 1000 would take me maybe an hour to test, give or take. I don't bother to check voltage or brightness, although if one is obviously very dim I won't send it. So far, though, I haven't encountered any problems like that. The ChiWing and BestHongKong LEDs seem fairly uniform in brightness. Also, I have yet to find one that didn't light out of over 1000 I've purchased in various colors.

reviewum

Enlightened
jtr1962 - I'd call your first random 100 a statistical sampling and be done with it... especially if you don't / haven't found a single bad one! I doubt the others going in on a group buy would be okay with it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would like to see beam pattern and brightness comparisons. If I was going to try to do a test I would be tempted to hook up 4-5 LEDs in a line and compare them to the same amount in another line I find trying to compare 1 to 1 a bit tough due to artifacts confusing the color your eye sees, where perhaps a stripe of light would be easier to compare.

Moat

Enlightened
FWIW, I saw BestHongKong is selling the new 14000mcd whites on Ebay for $19.95, + $10 shipping/100 pcs. If anybody does the group buy, I'll purchase a handful - as it looks like they're Paypal only, which I don't do.

jtr - I agree with reviewum, I'd almost expect one or two duds per 100, and at $.35 ea., no big deal... dufus me'd be poppin' 'em left and right when I start playing around with 'em, anyways!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The ones on eBay might be their standard whites, not the pure whites. The auction has two different part numbers! Note the difference between the part numbers-the part number beginning with BUWC333 refers to their regular whites while the "pure white" number begins with BUWLC333. The remainder of the part number W20BA13 specifies the viewing angle (W20 = 20°) and the brightness rank (BA13 = 14,000 mcd minimum).

BTW, last time I checked there was only one auction for these at $19.99, and it was sold when I checked a few minutes ago (no, I didn't buy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). The rest are for $24.99 plus $10 shipped, or the same price as on their website.

Moat

Enlightened
You're right - two part numbers... and dufus me didn't see the auction ended Nov. 24th!

Oops - sorry... nevermind...

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
I did an ebay buy it now for 50 super bright 15,000mcd 5mm LED's from chi-wing. I'll post back when they arrive and I've had a chance to play with them.