My First Tana module

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
3amps on max. Never tried a frosted optic over a mule but certainly enjoying this one! Whats the difference in appearance between this sort of mule and one with a frosted optics?

Couple of pictures, cos I love it so much!

Croquette

Enlightened
It's completely subjective. Both suits me but I have a small preference for the frosted optic.

It will be a little complicated to explain it in english as it isn't my main language but with the frosted optic, the center of the beam is still lightly more intense that the spill, so for short distance lightning, you have a more even light. At 10 meters, you have the same intensity than 1 meter. With the mule, you d'ont have that.

At very short distance (less than 2 meters), it not visible, but at short distance (8-12 meters) I find the frosted optic more even than the mule.

Hope it's understandable.

You have a great light. A fivemega surefire and a Tana drop-in is a amazing combo.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe what Croquette is saying is he prefers a light with a traditional reflector with a frosted lens on it vs. a mule that has no reflector. The difference is how he explained it.

To to get an idea of what a frosted lens does to a reflector, you can use frosted scotch tape or DC-fix that's offered on this forum.

Croquette

Enlightened
After reading back myself, it isn't explained like I wanted.

If you place your light at point A, with a mule and point it at an objet placed at 10 meters, you will have a greater cd at 1 meter than at 10.

With a frosted optic or medium frosted optic (like the carclo), you still have a beam and with your light at point A and pointing it at an objet placed 10 meters away, you will have approximately the same cd at 1 meter and at 10 meter.

Hope it's a little more clear. (not frosted)

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
For my camping uses, I've paired this with my Malkoff MD2 with a M361N-LMH module, I think that should cover most of my short distance requirements :)

I never appreciated how good a mule is until I got this one, truly loving it!!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
They are just so useful Dr, even up to moderate distances with enough power. Colour temp is key, after all close up stuff needs to look good!
My work mule gets plenty of uses

Got to love mules

Last edited:

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Ven, my good man, I have you to thank (or curse you for advising me about things on which will empty my wallet) for getting me into mules. But I must thank you more than curse you!

I do think it's my favourite light out of my small collection. I see now why you love them so much :twothumbs

Just trying to find a C2 host now, want another Mule... :whistle:

Agreed about colour temp. I now am firm that 4000k is my favourite temp.

ven

Flashaholic
:)Welcome, when ever you want to spend money let me know, will always help you spend it:whistle: . The 4000k xpl HI is a nice CT, worth a look along with other nichia flavours ,219b 4000k to name one.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
After reading back myself, it isn't explained like I wanted.

If you place your light at point A, with a mule and point it at an objet placed at 10 meters, you will have a greater cd at 1 meter than at 10.

With a frosted optic or medium frosted optic (like the carclo), you still have a beam and with your light at point A and pointing it at an objet placed 10 meters away, you will have approximately the same cd at 1 meter and at 10 meter.

Hope it's a little more clear. (not frosted)

I think I understand what you mean :)

tech25: You know you want one ;)

ven: Yeh mule is a triple Nichia 219B, can't complain really, 92+ CRI :D :D

Last edited:

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
jon: Thank you. I am currently using a temporary crappy mobile phone for the timebeing (my one is messed up). As soon as I get a decent camera or a phone with a decent camera, I will be sure to take some shots :)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my camping uses, I've paired this with my Malkoff MD2 with a M361N-LMH module, I think that should cover most of my short distance requirements :)

I never appreciated how good a mule is until I got this one, truly loving it!!

A mule is good until it becomes an ***.