Alternative to head torch needed

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I am looking for a led light, around 100 - 150 lumens bright, electronically driven to keep the same light level with quite wide beam (not a spot light) for a close distance inspection.
This would be for inspecting produce in the racking. Distance from inspected produce - around 30 - 50 cm.
The reason for not going for the head torch is that we are not allowed to mount anything on our bump caps and having the bump cap is mandatory for inspecting in the racking.
So I am looking for anything that could be the alternative for a head torch. Both hands should be free and preferably this light should be some kind of body light mounted on a chest level.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

LarcKen

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I am looking for a led light, around 100 - 150 lumens bright, electronically driven to keep the same light level with quite wide beam (not a spot light) for a close distance inspection.
This would be for inspecting produce in the racking. Distance from inspected produce - around 30 - 50 cm.
The reason for not going for the head torch is that we are not allowed to mount anything on our bump caps and having the bump cap is mandatory for inspecting in the racking.
So I am looking for anything that could be the alternative for a head torch. Both hands should be free and preferably this light should be some kind of body light mounted on a chest level.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Just bought one of these https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/headlamps/armytek-tiara-a1-v2-xp-l-silver.html

It comes with pocket clip for you to mount it on your chest. It got a wide beam.
Not quite 100 lumens, but 65 lumens for 30cm is likely more than enough. You could bump it up to 190 lumens anyways.
And the battery is really great! 65 lumens for 11 hours and 190 lumens for 4 hours.
Another amazing thing about this light is that you get almost equal max brightness of 450 lumens using either AA or 14500 li-ion batteries.
Jaw dropped literally. Again, 400+ lumens with 1,5 volts? never thought it's possible before i have this light. Really amazing.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Nebo Lil' Larry Light COB penlight; 3xAAA, fully regulated 250 lumens (and ~50% low mode,) aluminum body with many colors to choose from, $20.

mJpqpF7.jpg

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about mounting, but how about a Zebralight floody?

For inspecting produce, I think a high CRI beam is worthwhile so that colors look more natural. The SC5Fc is a 4000K (neutral) and the SC5Fdis a 5000K (daylight) AA flashlight. They're rated at 3.5 hours for 81 lumens and 1.8 hours for 140 lumens.

If you need to use it continuously through your shift instead of a few minutes here and there, the SC600Fd is an 18650 powered model rated at 12.5 hours at 100 lumens.

Most of the other high CRI lights I know of have more typical spill+spot beams that might not be as appropriate for up close use, but you could put DCFix on the lens of a model like the Eagletac D25LC2 Nichia to get a floody beam like the Zebralights.

Armytech used to have some high CRI models available in right angle lights, but with their latest round, they don't seem to disclose CRI.

Swede74

Enlightened
If these brightness levels and runtimes are adequate, maybe a Fenix MC11 would do the job?

High: 105 lumens, (2 hr 15 mins),
Mid: 50 lumens, (6 hrs),
Low: 3 lumens, (90 hrs),
Burst: 155 lumens

Edit: It does have a reflector and according to Fenix max beam distance is 75 m, so perhaps too much of a spot light to suit your needs.

mc11_4.jpg

mc11_2014.jpg

Last edited: