Questions from a new Arc4+ owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nick123

Hello all. I am new around here, and just got a Arc4+ second, and am blown away by this little light. Not being a "flashlight guy" before this purchase, and never really having anything better than a couple mag lights, I have not compared this light to any other high-quality LED lights. My questions are 1) this light is really bright (to me), but it was sold as a "second". It has no cosmetic issues, so I have to believe that it is a power/brightness problem. Has anyone else purchased a Arc4+ second that can make a comparison in performance to a regular production model? 2) What is the difference between the Arc4+, Arc4+ Premium, and Arc4x, and how much brighter might any of these be than my Arc4+ second? Anyway, thanks in advance.

paulr

Flashaholic
The very rare 4x is known to be around 40% brighter than the 4+, which would correspond to one brightness level in the brightness menu.

With the 4" (the double quote means 'second', like 3'51.1"), nothing is guaranteed, but chances are the brightness levels are the same as the 4+ except the battery current will be a bit higher with the 4", so you'll get less runtime per battery. At least that's how it's supposed to be with the regular 4: it's just as bright as the 4+, but slightly less battery efficient.

The 4" may also have more noticable color cast to the beam, especially at the lower brightness levels.

fuelblender

Enlightened
Hello Nick,

Welcome aboard. I have a 4+ as well as a second like you.
Without the use of any measuring devices, I can't tell the difference at all between the two as far as performance issues. Cosmetically, there is a color mismatch on the second. You made a wise purchase, indeed.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
My experience and my experience only. I have two Arc4+ firsts and just got an Arc4+ second two days ago. The second is noticeably dimmer than either of the firsts. In all other ways it functions perfectly. It achieves all 16 levels in the brightness menu, but each level s dimmer than the corresponding level in the firsts. This is really noticeable at the dimmest level. On the second it is pretty useless, whereas on the firsts it is quite useful.
The second is pretty green in tint, but so is one of the firsts.

However, the second is still an excellent light. At level one it is about as bright as my LSH-P's (the firsts are as bright as my LSH-p's at level 3). So for $99 I got a light with all the features and advantages of an Arc4 that is as bright as an LSH-P. Not a bad deal, I'm very happy.

One more note. Just for fun I figured if my second is dimmer maybe it will last longer at level one. I ran it for 45 minutes at level one and it never stepped down. I shut it off and it is still able to get all 16 levels in the brightness menu. Fair trade for me - a little less brightness for a little longer run time. I really think the seconds are a very good deal everything considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.