FENIX E35UE

colight

Enlightened
I may be interested in acquiring one of these, but before I do, I would like to get people's ideas about it. It has been in the market for a significant time now, and people's opinions differed in the past, but I would still like to get some recent opinions.

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened
I like the output from this light but the user interface is not my personal preference. You have to depress the button to turn it on/off which to me seems non-intuitive. I'd rather have a simple button click.

colight

Enlightened
Only one reply up to now, albeit not totally negative, so maybe this is not such a good buy.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
It's not one of the most popular lights but Fenix is generally a reliable brand. I would recommend the PD32 2016 as I feel that it's their best 1x18650 light now with the ability to tail stand and for general EDC use.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
colight,

Do you mean the former EU35UE? If so I have it and can say that it's a good light with well chosen brightness spacing. Good runtimes with measured 3 hours at the 360lm level. I use it tailstandable at lower level but it's great for allround use with the huge hotspot. Because of the 900lm mode is a burst mode and anyway only available with fresh battery I don't consider it as a 900lm light but instead a 360lm light.
If you want a tailstandable light with huge hotspot and good performance you may like it. The only negative with my sample is that the tint is a bit too cool for my taste.

Dig

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an E35UE for $50 two years ago, the original model. A couple months ago the button became stuck and wouldn't turn on. I contacted them and they sent me a new head, no questions asked (superb customer service I should add). As it turns out it was also the newer model head with two buttons. I can say with confidence that it is a solid light, and, the strobe/ sos button aside, is much improved upon, as the brightness levels are nicely and more spread out and turbo mode is now as it should be (not having to hold it down). It's compact and bright with a nice flood. Like another person had mentioned, holding the button down for 0.5 secs isn't a problem for me. Without a tail switch the cost of it accidentally being turned on in a pack is greater than the mere half-second it takes to turn it on. If you can get it for like $30 or $40 it's a good buy.

Dig

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix E35UE

I purchased a Fenix E35UEa couple years ago. Then a couple months ago the switch became stuck and the light wouldn't turn on. I called Fenix and they just sent me a new head that turned out to be the newer model. They didn't ask questions or ask for the broken head. So, I decided I had nothing to lose and proceeded to tear the rubber cover off the old head to see if I could fix it. As it turns out the plastic piece that goes into the switch was just stuck, and it works just fine now.

Anyway, to my point. Fenix "upgraded" the light to include a designated SOS/ strobe switch and gave it 5 brightness levels, including a 1000 lm turbo mode that stays on instead of having to hold it down. The new brightness settings were a very welcome upgrade. I won't discuss the SOS/ strobe. So anyway, I noticed last night that the new head's reflector is more shallow than the original, and decided to test them to see if that translated into a floodier beam.

I found that the older head has a much smoother spill and a more defined hotspot. The hotspot is also larger and more even. The new head has a much more rough, uneven spill and the hotspot is smaller and seemingly not as bright. The new head, however, has a considerably wider, floodier beam.

So to conclude, I felt it was worth noting these facts as Fenix had supposedly "upgraded" the E35. They definitely did improve upon the brightness settings on the new model, however, it suffers when it comes to the quality of the beam, not hugely but noticeably.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Hello @Dig and welcome to CPF ....

Please don't double-post the same (or essentially the same) content in two different places, however, and (especially) please do not open a fresh thread to do so.
Your recent thread has been merged into this thread here.

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened

Guys, I want to thank you all for your answers and recommendations, and Swedpat, I only saw your post yesterday, so I have to say sorry for that. Anyway, after much deliberation I've decided not to buy this light. I'll rather concentrate on something a little more recent, even though there are still some wonderful older lights available.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

the older E35UE is one to avoid. If it is a light of the E35UE's size you are after there are plenty of options. What would help us give you good advice is what kind of beam profile are you after and what kind of power output? I will say if its the huge hot spot short range profile you are after for a reasonable price the original PD35 can still be had if you look around. Lets see here the new Fenix LD11 is awesome and cheap and slimmer and shorter than the E35UE but maxes out at 340 lumens. The Olight S Mini with its TIR optic is all hot spot 500+ lumens. All depends on how much you want to spend. On the expensive end the Zebralight SC600 MkIII HI is in my and most forum members opinion one of the best lights currently made. Nitecore MH20 series are all great lights. The above mentioned 2016 PD32 is stellar. Could go on and on. I am sure more will chime in...

colight

Enlightened

Celtic, thank you for your advice and recommendation. I had a good look at that ZL you mentioned, and even though I have been a loyal fan of Fenix lights up to now, I am seriously tempted by this ZL, as everything I read points to that as being a fantastic light! I know I should open my horizon, but as mentioned before, I can still resist the temptation of this becoming a real addiction! As long as I stick with Fenix, I trust I can avoid that. :whistle:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP sounds like youre already down with the addiction! Granted the SC600 MkIII HI is an expensive light. It also only takes unprotected flat top 18650's. No need to worry about that though as all the necessary protections are already built into the light. The Zebralights max output is above 1100 lumens. I would have to double check the manual but I believe there a total of 17 output modes in total to customize and choose from. The tint out of this light is a glorious near gold/halogen color. The hot spot is huge and so is the spill which is pretty surprising considering the small size of the reflector. Many have hailed this light as the "best EDC in the world". ZL sells the unprotected flat top cell that is best for this light on their site. That cell is the NCR18650GA 10amp 3500mah Sanyo cell. I barely use the max output setting as it is just that darn bright.

Should you order both the light and the cell off the ZL site your SC600 MkIII HI will show up with the cell already inside the light. Also includes titanium pocket clip. It also comes with a small metal ring on the end to attach a lanyard to if you wish. This metal ring is also removable if you just dont like it being there.

The ZL on the highest two settings gets hot relatively quickly but the light is also thermally regulated. Once it hits a certain temp it throttles back the output until the light cools down enough then the output will rise back up until it regulates again. It is a surprisingly small light especially for being jam packed with custom level electronics and features. I believe ZL possibly has the best electrical design team in the industry there is SO much packed into this little light. It is also potted which is a HUGE plus.

On another SC600 MkIII HI thread awhile ago the issue of where are the parts made came up. I actually emailed ZL about this and to my surprise got a response in 2 days. Most of the parts are American made! They listed part origin piece by piece I was extremely impressed with their response. I tried going further and asked if they could provide a schematic for the light to which the answer was a pretty stern NO lol.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
when you pull a similar light out of your backpack(Nitecore MH10) and find a dead battery because its too easy to accidentally turn it on, then you get the "aha" moment and see why Fenix went with this UI. So these single button/side switch only lights do have this fatal flaw if they don't have an accompanying lockout mode