me explaining flashlights to my dad

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol didnt go well he just dont get it, i told him about some lights.and well my dad always ask how much they are.i said some are over 100 dollors he told me he cant bleive id spend 100 on a light! i say lots a people do. .then he said if we ask 1000 people 999 will not buy a 100 dollor flashlight .im going to viset dad and step mom in a few weeks i plan to show him the light and im sure he will understand. my question is to you alll do you think realy only 1 outa 1000 people will buy a 100 light.also what the most expensive light you have bought?

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
If you ask 1000 people on CPF- YES! But if you ask the people walking around K-Mart-probably not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

FNG

Enlightened
Arc LSH-P - $130 (sold it)
TigerLight FBOP - $120 (just got it 10 minutes ago)

He's probably right though. How many other people outside of this site will spend even $50 on a light? People come to find us (the site), not the other way around.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still think if ya ask 1000 john q public at least 150 will say yes..but i may be wrong.. he has a good place to play with lights in his subdivion so it should be fun lol

JOshooter

Enlightened
Just look at the Surfire torches. They are expensive, but they sure deliver! Theres just over 6000 people on this board, not sure of the exact number, but I know that at least 6 people have purchased a torch over $100.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad would say I was nuts, and I would never would be able to convince him. No matter how many SF's I showed him. Well at least I am in good company.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be very surprised if more than 1 in 1000 people would consider spending more than $100 on a flashlight. Even if you look at a lot of the lights that are used by many LEO's and security personnel who use lights as a part of their jobs, Mag-chargers, Streamlight Stingers, SL Scorpions, Tigerlights, etc, most are around $100 or less. There are even fewer people who would spend $200 or more on a flashlight like a lot of us have.

When I show my lights to friends and they are amazed, they usually ask "how much did that cost"? I invariably reply, "don't ask". Most people just don't understand.

-Keith

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah i guessim comeing from being adicted to lights they fasinate me. i guess we all have things we spend a lot on some are cloths lol my whole wardrobe is like a 15 dollor invesmnt lol.but when it comes to lights. its my hobby..i cant imagine some one not seeing a bright light and not be excited about it ..well anyways when he asked about how someone could spend so much on a light i asked how he could spend almost 10 times that on a grill lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifbut he loves to cook out doors..

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brite one said:
Just look at the Surfire torches. They are expensive, but they sure deliver! Theres just over 6000 people on this board, not sure of the exact number, but I know that at least 6 people have purchased a torch over $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that would be today.....

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring up the Hummel figurines or golf clubs or fishing tackle to the respective parties and what we spend on lights isnt out of line with those hobbies well maybe 275 for one LED light is a bit over the top but one bottle of mouton rothchild 1953 is waaay more than that and one "use" and its done for. The light can be reused at least once unless the HA finish has a terminal flaw and it corrodes into the sunset.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i went thru a similar situation with my Uncle.

it was very easy to get thru to him.. he lives deeper in the woods than i do and seriously appreciated the heads up on a light like the Blaster 3 where he could get 24 hours of bright light,
and then even more diminishing light,
on one set of batteries..

or the FT3C.. that'll give him 12 hours of bright light,
then more diminishing light,
on one set of batteries..

he wasn't very interested in 2X123 lights like the PM6 or the Scorpion due to the hour-long runtimes.. he really dug the long-running LED/luxeon lights.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least one person on CPF would not spend $100 on a flashlight- Me.

Compared to many hobbies, flashlights are inexpensive. I do not blame anyone for buying the flashlights discussed here, and when one collects something, he normally takes pleasure in looking at, holding, and using the items. I know that feeling of enjoying nice guns, fishing tackle, and a few other things.

But when individuals are not flashaholics, and a flashlight is just something to keep them from falling at night, or finding something in the dark, he does not need even a $50 flashlight.

Of course anyone who has a profession which requires a flashlight such as Surefire or Tigerlight will pay whatever is necessary, but only a small percentage of the population fits in that category.

I know individuals who have guns costing several thousand dollars, but who think it is almost silly to pay $100 for a flashlight.

Jerry

DanM

Newly Enlightened
Just show them how much the PK1 sold for (twice)
and a 100.00 flashlight seems cheap.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
At least one person on CPF would not spend $100 on a flashlight- Me.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm with you.
i wont spend $100 on a light.
the most i paid was $60 for a light. the Blaster 3, FT3C and Arc LSL all went for about that price.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o there are lights out there that id pay way more for .but have to wait to i get a beter job.but i love the ones i have now. had a lot of help with a couple of them..only thing i spend money on is lights.i dont realy like to go out to eat or anything. aint into jewlerly or anything my things i love is computers and flashlights,.always loved lights.when the summer comes around im going to ask my dad to look for lights at garage sales he loves going to them.he and my grandmother go to like 10 a weekend when its warm.its smazeing what they find

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I might like to spend over $100, but I'm afraid I never would. I'm just too cheap by nature. On the other hand, I have spent more on many lesser lights combined. The most for one was the $60 for my LSL-ST. Now I could probably talk myself into an Arc 4 for $99, but I think I'll wait for it to mature a bit.

I think at least 10 men out of 1000 would spend $100, but definitely not my father.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Different people different priorities.

In anything I buy, I research it, and find the best (for my requirements). It does not matter on the item. In glasses, I have Oakleys, and am looking at Wiley X's. In knives I use leatherman, spyderco and CRKT (although my eyes are now widening to those such as strider). Watches, I use Luminox and Rip Curl have impressed me over the Seiko's etc (and are less than half the price). In shoes, I use New Balances, Blundstone, and Colorados. In terms of flashlights, I believe that Surefire performs significantly better than any other light I have seen on the market. Inova's fit into a category very close to surefire. And the Arc's - i'm looking into them.

I have been in numerous situations where people who cannot justify paying high prices for good equipment want to 'borrow' things even though they are 'ridiculously expensive.' I am just lucky that at this time I can afford to put cost second priority to my requirements. BTW beware for these people are equipment bashers! Anyone that does not appreciate the quality will bash it and abuse it! My old 3d maglite went from unblemished to scratched/bulb broken in a day with a mate from the navy grrrrr...

At the end of the day they are all tools, however mine are far less prone to failure than others, perform better and generally give me more peace of mind (not to mention satisfaction), which allows me to better get on with the job at hand. Yes, the general population may not pay more than $50 or $100 for a good flashlight, because the cost- benefit calculation is different for everyone. However I have seen too many times people going out ill equipped (both in equipment and mindset) and then rely on others who are better prepared to look after them (an easy example of this for me is on every social hike when people run out of water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif! ).

It doesn't bother me when people find out how expensive things are. After they get over the price, most people do succomb to the wow factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and get the 'quality over quantity' bug.

I must say though that CPF is going to lead me to the 'dark' side (or is that the light side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) with me making up uses to justify my growing flashlight 'collection' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least I know that i'm in good company /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cam

Harrkev

Enlightened
Explain it this way....

Some people pay hundreds or thousands for a STAMP! And many of them cannot even be used to mail a letter in this country!

Or how about paying $50,000 for a car that may get 1,000 miles on it per year! And the car is not even new. If a new chevy is around $20,000, then a 57 chevy should only go for around $1000, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How many people would pay $10 for a cigar that you smoke once!

And why pay $20 for a fine meal when $6.00 at Denny's will get you just as much viatamins and nutrition?

And why buy season tickets if you can watch the game on TV for free?

One more thing to mention: I carry a flashlight every day. I paid almost $30 for my Arc-AAA. A few months ago the power went out at my job. I was in a strange building for some training. Of course the building had emergency lights, but there were none in the bathroom. Because I had this $30 light on me, I was able to use the facilities. Other people without lights either had to feel their way around (not a good idea in a bathroom), or hold it for the hour that it took to get the power back again. $30 well spent. Now I carry the AAA and an ARC-LSL-S.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The people near and dear to me have never asked how much...

They want to know why SO MANY! After I sold almost 20 at the Garage sale, I still have at least 60 and maybe more.

And dammit, I ain't done buying yet!

Hang on a sec... I can't get right to the data on the Stinger HP I traded off... but the most I've paid otherwise was for a SpaceNeedleII at $80 shipped.