ThruNite Ti3

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
A month or so ago I got a Maglight Solitaire LED and I've been pretty happy with it. I carry it in my pocket and I almost can't tell it's there. The only thing I wish it had was a lower power mode.

I had been thinking of getting a Fenix E01, but it's only low power, and the power of the Solitaire has come in handy numerous times.

I'm thinking about getting a ThruNite Ti3, but I have a question, I think I understand from the Amazon listing that it always defaults to the lowest setting, and then you switch it off and back on to cycle through the progressively higher settings. That's a feature I definitely want. I figure if I'm wanting a low power setting, then the last thing I want is for it to default to the highest setting, right?

Are there other 1-AAA lights that function similarly (lowest setting first) and are under $20?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct - what you're referring to is commonly called "memory mode" wherein the flashlight "remembers" the last selected mode and defaults to that mode.

Flashlights *without* memory mode will automatically default to the first mode in the sequence - LMH, for example, would always default to low. MHL defaults to medium.

Regarding recommendations:
Looking at the Thrunite Ti3 (http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti3-xp-g2-120-lumen-flashlight/) bounces from 12 lumens at low to 120 lumens on high. That might be a bit too bright for what you want.

The Fenix E01 is rated at 13 lumens, which is actually a lot brighter than the numbers suggest, with a regulated output for 16.5 hours. The Maglite Solitaire is listed at 37 lumens, with a fairly slow drop over time (http://www.led-resource.com/2013/07/maglite-solitaire-led-flashlight-review/).

You might consider looking at the Fenix E05 (2014 edition) - it sports three modes:
8 lumens, 15 hours
25 lumens, 4 hours 15 minutes
85 lumens, 45 minutes

A quick browse on Amazon shows it available for $20, give or take.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TiS, the stainless steel version of the Ti3 in neutral white and have been every day carrying it for well over a year and it has performed flawlessly since day one. Its firefly mode is superb, perfect for anything from camping to around house navigation where you don't want to disturb others. The other 2 modes are excellently spaced, 12L handles most tasks easily, the 120L high output still wows me as so much light from a small light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I have an E05 and it's a decent light that always starts in low. It doesn't offer quite as much output as the Thrunite, but it feels very durable.

Note that the modes are very different. The Thrunite has a sub-lumen firefly mode - a lot of people consider that uselessly dim. Others of us think it's an excellent light level when your eyes are completely adjusted to the dark. Personal preference.

Thrunite also makes the Ti5, which is functionally similar to the Ti3, but has a clicky switch instead of a twist head. I actually have one on order right now.

Olight sells the i3s, which is similar to the Fenix E05, but with a lower low.

There are others, too, but that's a good starting selection to consider.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Actually, the Ti3 does indeed have mode memory, but it is only for about 10 seconds before it forgets. I have seen reports that this interface changes significantly with a customized heatsinked copper bonded emitter, such that this 10 second memory only appears on the highest mode. I believe all Thrunite's AAA drivers are identical, but for the 162lm Ti Christmas version, which only has a higher highest mode... namely, 162lm rather than 120lm, but otherwise is identical.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Received my cool white and neutral white Ti3's last night. I love the firefly mode, but really dislike the 10-second memory mode. ThruNite should have either given the light a true memory or nothing at all.

My one light is significantly harder to twist off/on than the other. That may be a matter of needing lube. The beams, while shining on a wall, are far from being smooth. It's a usable and functional beam, but it sure ain't pretty. I'll have more time today to play with them.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the titanium version, some says the threads are gritty but it does not bother me as it`s more like smooth than crunchy peanut butter, I like that it starts in low then medium, high, I wish the mode memory was not limited to 10 minutes and was permanent until changed.

Is there a Ti3 Stainless Steel version?

John

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
My Ti3 arrived. I think it's perfect for what I want it for. I was thinking the low level might be too dim, but it's really enough to see to get around when it's dark. On high it's amazingly bright for such a small light.

Thanks everyone!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My Ti3 arrived. I think it's perfect for what I want it for. I was thinking the low level might be too dim, but it's really enough to see to get around when it's dark. On high it's amazingly bright for such a small light.

Thanks everyone!
Congratulations. Love mine too, especially the firefly mode. Did you get cool white or natural?

sbslider

Enlightened
This light is on my wish list. I have not heard anything negative about it yet, except for a bit of wobbling that is going to happen with any threaded connection as stated above. What I have had happen on one other light that is very loose, is mode skipping. I use my Manker E01 for a night light, and it can be skippy at times. I may have fixed it finally, that is why I have been holding out and not pursuing the TI3 (yet). I like the Nichia emitter of the E01, but I suspect the neutral white of the Ti3 would be fine also.

Has anyone had problems with mode skipping on the Ti3?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people report reducing wobblyness of Manker E01 with plumbers tape on the threads.

If my AAA twisties begin to skip modes, I clean off the excess lube on the threads.
All my aaa twisties have wobbly heads if I remove the Orings. How much they wobble depends on how broken in the Oring is.

Wobblyness can be seen as a feature not a bug, it can be used for momentary on, but that leaves it prone to accidental activation :)