Revised Luxeon datasheets

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed on the Lumileds website that a number of the datasheets have been revised this month. Revised include DS30, 34, 35, 40, 45, and 46. I haven't had time to download them all and compare against the last rev for significant differences. If anyone notices any substantive changes, please post.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon III emitter - Some formatting changes, a blank page, and the spectral distribution for white no longer has the spike in the red area.

L5 portable - formatting changes; messed up fonts in the PDF; now indicates max color temp of 10,000 K; spectrum now missing the red spike; different current derating curves;

Reading the L5 portable datasheet now, I just noticed the lumen maintenance characteristics section, where it shows the effect of dimming over time based on HS temperature.

For a HS temp of 35C, I wonder what 90% at 500 hours translates to for the traditional life to 70% initial brightness.

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
I hoped they changed that toner killer sidebar colors, but it remained. Perhaps they have shares in printer businnes.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other changes noted. For DS46 [LuxIII Star] they screwed up the dimemsions [overall height wrong]. Same changes as noted by Darin for the LuxIII emitter.
Of the changes noted by Darin, the spectrum change is most interesting. It suggests a reformulation of the phosphor(s). It is more than just the red spike missing. The relative heights of the peaks and valley have changed.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are now revised 1W emitter and Star datasheets posted [DS23 and DS25]. Several significant changes noted. Star config thermal resistance is now 20 C/W. Formerly was 17 C/W. For the white batwings there is a *very* significant change. The white batwing emitters now come in two flavors. The LXHL-BW01 is the old version and the LXHL-BW02 is the new version. Both are offered. The BW02 uses a new phosphor application process for improved color uniformity. The angular intensity distribution of the BW02 is different from the BW01. Separate graphs are provided. Apparently the difference greatly affects the performance when used with an optic. Even though both emitters list a typical flux of 25 lm, when used with optic the BW02 yields 500 candela vs only 250 candela for the older BW01. Those would abandoned the batwing in favor of the HD for use with optic may want to revist use of the batwing in its BW02 form. Apparently the BW02 type has been around since July 2003. Does anyone have comparitive performance to report on the two types?
One other change noted, minimum flux value for the BW02 is 18.1 lm vs 13.9 lm for the BW01.
The red and amber batwings are now also offered in two forms with somewhat different angular intensity distributions. These two forms also differ in their thermal resistance and typical flux. Both thermal resistance and flux are higher for the newer versions. The red-orange is now available in batwing which was not formerly the case.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the luminous flux, Vf, and thermal resistance of the new '03 models of red/r-o/amber, I've concluded that they've started to stick the dice from the high-dome variants of these luxeons into a low-dome case. The low-dome variants of these luxeons used a traditional cubic shaped die, rather than the TIP-variant in the high domes.

I'm going to guess (wild-*** guess here), that Lumileds may also be eliminating the cupped slug that the low domes used to live in, in leu of standardizing on a single slug design. This will let them have a single manufacturing line that can feed all 3 emission patterns for a single color.

I wonder how long it will be before the warm whites get moved to the new phosphor coating, and how long it will be before the old slurry phosphor coating is no longer used, and the cupped heatsink slugs are no longer manufacturered.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
Based on the luminous flux, Vf, and thermal resistance of the new '03 models of red/r-o/amber, I've concluded that they've started to stick the dice from the high-dome variants of these luxeons into a low-dome case. The low-dome variants of these luxeons used a traditional cubic shaped die, rather than the TIP-variant in the high domes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that you are very likely right.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
They've also bumped the maximum junction temperature for InGaN-based devices to 135C.