X-1 resistor...is it needed?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I just received my Inova X-1 from County Comm along with my Ultra-G.Love them both but the Inova is a little hard to get used to with that perfect circle and no sidespill.
I quickly took it apart and shortened it keeping the stock bezel and used a different reflector.It is now pretty good and almost equal to my ultra G with a smaller corona.
My question is on the resistor.I used the stock LED and board but was noticing some of the parts on it.
It has what looks like 2 resistors similiar to the small ones used on the Dorcy AAA board.
One is very small and the other one is even smaller.
I know one of these is a resistor but am not sure about both.Is it common to use 2 resistors in this type of light?
Also if I remove the resistor would it effect anything?
The LED is pretty decent now with a small bit of blue in the center and a little bit of brown in the corona.
I just could not figure out why Inova would use a circuit to step up voltage only to resistor it back down...kind of defeats the purpose to me.
I wish I could post a pic but can not.Any special numbers or markings I should look for to determine if both of these little parts are resistors?

TheFire

Enlightened
Inova has a circuit to step up the voltage. The resistor is an integral part of that circuit. If you remove it, your light WILL NOT WORK. That resistor tells the light how much current to put into the LED. The other things you're seeing are probably capacitors (and possibly a coil). A picture would help with identity.

Robocop

Thanks for the help with this.I forgot to mention that I would be shorting the resistor by removal and replacing with a thin line of solder to complete the connection.
I did this on one of my Dorcy boards and got a little more brightness and more efficient circuit.This looks like a very different circuit but I suppose the concept is the same.

TheFire

Enlightened
mmm... it's your light, but I would worry about frying the IC by doing that. Do you know what value the resistor is? If it's a sense resistor (<1ohm) then you might try that (if you didn't mind too much if the board died...)

Keep us updated on how it works out...

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious...
Is there really some special lens in the X1 or is the flat lens simply concealing an ordinary ball lens?

Robocop

It was a flat lens or actuall a little oval in shape with some form of magnification.It was placed about 3/4 of an ince away from the LED.There was a lot of wasted space in this light and when I took it apart I was able to shorten it a good bit.I retained the original bezel and used a refelctor from another small host light.There was also a hollow brass type spacer inside that fit around the LED that the bezel was screwed into.The spacer contacted a pad at the bottom of the LED and completed the circuit with the bezel touching the body.I simply smoothed out the inside a little and cut two small slits lenghtwise down the bezel.Now I cut the factory spacer very short almost like a washer type fit.Wrapped a small wire around it and threaded it around the underside of the bezel.Fit it all together with the bezel first then the reflector resting on the spacer fitting over the LED.The pressed in bezel forces the reflector down on the spacer contacting the circular pad at the base of the LED. with the reflector sanded down to rest inside the lip of the bezel.The small slits allowed the bezel to flex a little and I pressed it all together.It slid right into place and looks almost like it was made this way.It is almost as functional as my Ultra -G with a little smaller corona.I had to use a pipe cutter to take away a small section just under the factory bezel and then used vice grips to remove it.It was a tight fit and did scar the bezel a little but I sanded these marks out and the end result is pretty attractive.
I think I will leave well enough alone and not mess with the resistor as I would have to tear it apart again to do so.