What unorthodox uses do you have for your light?

benjimon

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking today that mostly our lights are used for lighting but what have you used your flashlight for that's not just allowing you to see?

I personally use mine to warm my hands sometimes.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
unorthodox: (adjective) contrary to what is usual, traditional, or accepted

And it is best that no member discuss self defense or aggressive uses, per forum guidelines.

Would it be considered unorthodox to have a flashlight as a fashion accessory?

altermann

Enlightened
Carrying heavy bags from supermarket - use my E2d defender like carrying handle for hands comfort

WJA

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I pick up agates on the beaches where we live, and use my EDC light to see the interior of the semi-transparent stones. I'll tailstand the light and place an agate on top for viewing.

We all have hobbies.....

I've considered placing a Big Larry on the inside roof of my Astro van. There's bare metal right behind the passenger section where the magnetic end easily sticks. Then using the flashing red mode to get people to move over when they're driving too slow. I haven't done it. But I have thought about it. :devil:

~ Chance

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just replaced a toilet valve in my master bathroom and I have a pan underneath the water valve, coming from the wall and the valve is 30 years old, so it drips a bit until it plugs up and stops.

I was timing the drips with a Convoy S2+ WM emitter, to get an idea on how quickly it was dripping. I can't see that well with the standard incan., so I used the light to get a good sight picture.

2 drops a minute, for now.

Chris

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Carrying heavy bags from supermarket - use my E2d defender like carrying handle for hands comfort

Perfect.

Today I used one with a magnet on it to suck a dropped hose clamp out of a cup of power steering fluid today when diagnosing and repairing an air prone steering system.

I've used the tail of a D Mag to lightly pack dirt around bushes and trees I planted before.. along with the perverbial hammer in a pinch thing.
I've used one to prop a car door open, as a wheel chock (it was laying in a control crack of a concrete driveway), as a template to draw circles, paper weight/book mark to keep my place in a repair manual on a breezy day... all kinds of stuff.

Nifty thread here. :popcorn:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...have you used your flashlight for that's not just allowing you to see?"

Turned Off, using a flashlight, yes.

Walking my friends dog, leash hand loop is too large, wants to slip past my wrist and hand.

So, I grip the P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head in my fist, leash can not slip past my hand anymore.

kssmith

Enlightened
I one time used a Surefire C3 as an adaptor for my air mattress pump. We were camping, left the adapter, and the C3's tube worked great. Fortunately since my wife was very pregnant at the time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I one time used a Surefire C3 as an adaptor for my air mattress pump. We were camping, left the adapter, and the C3's tube worked great. Fortunately since my wife was very pregnant at the time.

You took your pregnant wife camping and forgot the adapter for the air pump? :twak:

Has she let you forget that yet? :rant: lol

Great save though. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...have you used your flashlight for that's not just allowing you to see?"

Turned Off, using a flashlight, yes.

Jogging a few miles, daytime, full sunlight, flashlight in hand, power Off. Reason: To feel the energy of the flashlight. To get an energy boost from the flashlight.

Try different lights. Some give me a lot more of an energy boost than others. See what works for you.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This involves vision, but not for the purpose of illumination - working on a fence after dark, I set one of my lights on the second to last fence post so I could line up it with the shadow of the last fence post, in order to help me get my next fence post in line.

I have also on occasion used my higher power lights to "x-ray" plastic items, such as to get an idea how they're held together

bigm

Newly Enlightened
Play time with my one year old daughter. I think flashaholism may be genetic. I got a bunch of led glow sticks in various colors for her, well ok, me, but she loves them so much that they are hers now. She gets a big kick out of the cheap led projector pens, and loves to light up a dark room while she walks around with my UltraOK SK68's. She absolutely loves to walk around with my 4&6D Mags like she's large n in charge. :) We have a lot of fun doing the x-ray thing with our hands too. It's cool having someone who shares an interest in this hobby, and awesome to have such fun "passing the torch" ;) to my little girl.

SimonC

Newly Enlightened
HDS candle mode to calm down / put my 4-month-old son to sleep ...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
●Jack handle
●Hammer
●Pack dirt
●Used to twist a rope tight
●Door prop
●Paper weight
●Circle template
●Tape measure (knowing the exact size of your light is handy for rough field measurements)
●Counter weight for holding posters
●Carry handles
●I'm sure I am forgetting other uses.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually had to use a pelican light as a bathroom sink plug so i could test the drain under the vanity cabinet to find a leak on the drain. and hammers too but different light for that... sadly the necessity to do so came about.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
●Jack handle
●Hammer
●Pack dirt
●Used to twist a rope tight
●Door prop
●Paper weight
●Circle template
●Tape measure (knowing the exact size of your light is handy for rough field measurements)
●Counter weight for holding posters
●Carry handles
●I'm sure I am forgetting other uses.

Don't tell me you used your Mcgizmo or Tain...

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noticing that red led light passes through skin, and through the knuckles of my hand, and that my neutral Led lights pass red light through, I've taken to turning my Zebralight H600w on high and going over sore knuckles and elbows. It seems to help with recovery, well enough that I don't care if it's placebo or not, when they're sore I'll run the light over the trouble spots and they seem to recover faster. I had some pain that had been slowly getting a little better over weeks, ran the light till it was hot a few days in a row and then forgot to repeat, elbow quit bothering me.
YMMV.