Klarus        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1xAAA with Dim Low Mode?

Default 1xAAA with Dim Low Mode?

Sorry for yet another single AAA thread, but I'm specifically looking for a list of 1xAAA lights that have a really dim/low mode. Thanks in advance.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

You might want to define what you mean by "really dim" using a lumen value as a threshold. Some folks think 3 lumens is really dim. I think one of the lowest firefly modes on a triple-A light is 0.09 lumens from the L3 Illumination L08. Olight i3s has an advertised Moonlight mode of .5 lumens, but Selfbuilt tested it as being lower than that in 2014. Thrunite is known for its low-low modes.
    Last edited by ronniepudding; 03-19-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Default Re: 1xAAA with Dim Low Mode?

ThruNite Ti can also be bought cheaper in aluminum in various colours.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti-...eychain-light/

"Firefly: 0.5 Lm(115h)"

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    ThruNite Ti can also be bought cheaper in aluminum in various colours.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti-...eychain-light/

"Firefly: 0.5 Lm(115h)"

John.
    Yeah, bbbut why limit OP's options with the link to just the gritty actioned titanium? Great material for a larger light; kind of an affectation in AAA with little material benefit, which as far as I can tell, is that the Ti heats up faster, useful in northern latitudes I suppose.

http://www.thrunite.com/aaa-flashlight/

All these have pretty much the same firefly mode. And the best part? Some are not titanium! Even the Ti3 in Al also has much smoother thread action and far better heat properties than Ti.
    My favorite is TiS in stainless, smooth action, and won't float away when the wind blows. Though gone from Thunite's site, both TiS tint versions are still available at illumn.com

Good point. I'm defining low as a couple lumens or lower. That ThruNite looks interesting. Anyone know if it's fully regulated in all modes?
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Good point. I'm defining low as a couple lumens or lower. That ThruNite looks interesting. Anyone know if it's fully regulated in all modes?
    I'm not sure Thrunite's lower modes are regulated or not, but the high modes are definitely not regulated.

If you can find one, the Reylight Copper Tool has about a 0.7 to 1lm low, very useful. I believe the Reylight Ti Tool is still available at Banggood with the same mode sequence with the electronic switch. Unless you're looking for firefly mode, a 1lm low is very nice, a moonlight mode more or less.

Please say they do not use PWM to achieve such major reduction... even if it aint true. lol.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    I'm not sure Thrunite's lower modes are regulated or not, but the high modes are definitely not regulated.

If you can find one, the Reylight Copper Tool has about a 0.7 to 1lm low, very useful. I believe the Reylight Ti Tool is still available at Banggood with the same mode sequence with the electronic switch. Unless you're looking for firefly mode, a 1lm low is very nice, a moonlight mode more or less.
    Might fine English words being specked.

"Considering The Following Case In Your New Tool Ti As Normal Which It Has Low Battery In Electronic Tail Switch. Please Put a new AAA Battery In Tool Ti for 20 minutes Under Close-Down Condition To Solve Them. You Canít Turn It On ,You Canít Switch The Modes ,Same Brightness In Mid-High Mode"

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

My Ti Tool has a lower low than the Copper version.

The original Astrolux A01 has a great moonlight, the current models are bad. The Copper or Old Lumens models on Banggood are probably good. FourSevens A0 Titanium has a great low mode. I'm assuming the Peaks with QTC are probably able to get very low. DQG Tiny AAA Ti has a nice low too.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

Flashaholic*

The foursevens preon p0, i think it's called atom A0 now. 0,25 lumen. It has no reflector, so no bright hotspot. Just a broad even beam from side to side. Runs forever. No pwm. Smallest aaa there is (i think).

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Please say they do not use PWM to achieve such major reduction... even if it aint true. lol.
    Thrunite drivers are constant current.

The Thrunite has a much lower low than any of the Lumintop lights.

Olight i3s has regulated modes, and I really like the 0.5 lumen low (does not come with Nichia), and it has really nice smooth threads and NoPWM. see runtime and regulation charts here

Thrunite Titanium AAA, 0.04 low, NoPWM. I have the Titanium version w 162 lumen XPL, threads are super gritty, not recommended. It is NOT regulated (there is no way a 162 lumen level can be regulated on an AAA, it is direct drive and drops like a lead balloon). Not sure about the other models, but imo the 0.04 low is practically useless, I prefer the Olight low.

CuWorm w Nichia, 3 lumen low (5 lumen low on the cool white), regulated, NoPWM.. I dont consider this a dim low mode, I would call it a bright low mode.

the L08 4 mode w Nichia is a very nice light imo, it has a 0.09 low, (equally useless as the Thrunite low imo), followed by a 3 lumen mode, the high mode is NOT regulated, has NoPWM.

The ReyLight TiTool has a 1 lumen low, NoPWM, but is Not regulated on high.

Prometheus Beta Copper w Nichia has a 1 lumen low, YesPWM, dont know if its regulated

afaict, there are very few lights with regulated modes on all levels.. maybe someone has a list of them?
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-19-2017 at 12:49 PM.

There is also the Thrunite T5Ti which has gritty threads too but also a nice forward clicky standard and a decent clip!

The 4/7 Atom aaa is great and a mule so the low is pretty useful even though lower than some others but it can be had with Nichia if you want and the ET D25aaa is an amazing little light with a nice brighter Low Mode and Nichia option as well.

As far as what is useful in a low,low level light I find that for the middle of the night bathroom run use even these crazy lows are more light than I need with dark adjusted eyes.

We each like what we like though so it is a good thing that they offer so many options too!
    Last edited by AVService; 03-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Jon. A "useless" low mode to you is moonlight heaven to others (like me). Just state the mode without bias. Remember that the OP is asking for a dim low mode.

Probably can't find one that goes lower than a Peak Eiger QTC. They even have one with XPG3 now. http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Eiger.html

No worries. I understand that everything is subjective. I did order a couple ThruNite Ti3's as I liked what I read/watched about them.

I should have them tomorrow. I'll probably try the Olight next.

Flashaholic*

​Both the SF Titan & Titan Plus have a low of 15 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Jon. A "useless" low mode to you is moonlight heaven to others (like me). Just state the mode without bias. Remember that the OP is asking for a dim low mode.
    :-)
    gunga, I clearly stated "imo" and "practically useless for me", those are MY opinions for how I use my lights
    for my needs the Thrunite is not practical, I dislike that it starts on the "useless" low first, and much prefer the Olight lumen level, AND mode sequence, for MY needs..

I realize for how you use your lights, a "useless" low first is heavenly :-)

I also agree that the 0.04 thrunite low works as a nightlight, and for very close up use in full darkness, and also for a bathroom run when waking in the middle of the night

the OP defined dim as less than a couple of lumens, I did not think he would be happy with the low on a Thrunite, Manker/Astrolux, or L08, but yes, I did specify the lumen levels, so he could make an educated choice

I did order a couple ThruNite Ti3'sÖ I'll probably try the Olight next.
    I look forward to your impressions.. congrats on your new toys :-)

+1 for Thrunite Ti3.
    It's cheap enough that if the first mode is too low, you've got a spare light.
    Honestly, I use the med mode most often, but turning it on with a double twist to get to med is second nature now, and I wouldn't want to lose the firefly default just to access medium a tiny bit faster.
    Last edited by eh4; 03-19-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    if the first mode is too low, you've got a spare light.
    I agree,
    it also makes a great spare battery carrier :-)
    (though the OP does not burn through batteries like some of us)

and the Ti3 Medium mode is almost as low as an E01 or an ARC, lights the OP appreciates iirc
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-19-2017 at 03:20 PM.

An AAA is more of an emergency light, So making the battery last the longest might be important, that why i prefer low, medium, high as an virtually dead battery will run for a few more hours on low, but starting with high might waste a lot of low battery life before you mange to get to lowest setting.

John.

An AAA is more of an emergency light
    For you maybe, but the 1xAAA format is my primary and only EDC light. For many many years, carrying only a Fenix E01 and E05, 99% of my lighting needs were met.

I never found a need to land an airplane or spot a squirrel in a tree at 500-yards, etc.

An AAA is more of an emergency light, So making the battery last the longest might be important, that why i prefer low, medium, high as an virtually dead battery will run for a few more hours on low, but starting with high might waste a lot of low battery life before you mange to get to lowest setting.

John.
    My sentiments exactly.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Fenix E01 and E05
    The medium mode on your incoming thrunite is similar to those, and now you will also have a 0.04 firefly option. I suspect the E01 has longer battery life, due to the type of LED, not sure..

the medium on the Olight is twice as bright as what you are used to, of course this cuts runtime in half, you might have to change batteries 6 times a year instead of 3 :-), about 63 cents extra per month maybe, for Lithium primaries... I will be curious to hear how you feel about the 0.5 moonlight option, and all that "extra" brightness.. maybe you will be tempted to get into eneloops (especially if you start experimenting with high mode.. LOL)

btw, one thing I like about your threads, is you often actually buy the lights you ask about, and they arrive rather quickly, so I dont have too much delayed gratification <g>

I look forward to your impressions
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-19-2017 at 05:19 PM.

I too am looking forward to the Firefly mode. Hoping it's not too dim for my purposes.

I too am looking forward to the Firefly mode. Hoping it's not too dim for my purposes.
    It is all about dark adaptation, and a runtime that is second to none for this format (100+ hours on a fresh AAA). You're not going to be reaching for Thrunite's firefly mode at noon after walking in from outdoors and trying to see something behind the fridge... there are other modes for that. Thrunite's firefly mode is just what you need when you wake in pitch black sometime after midnight and need to move around. If you just turn on a fixed light, you are blinded and in discomfort for 5-10 minutes. But that subluminal Thrunite firefly is all the light you'll need to do whatever you need to do at those hour with those eyes.

But let's not forget Thrunite's well-conceived low mode. Remember the sequence is FF-L-H, no wishy-washy hedging with a medium mode that is too bright with pathetic runtime. The low is 12 lumens of constant current glow and it will last up to 7 hours on a fresh AAA. 12 lumens is about the limit of what dark adapted eyes can stand briefly before losing dark adaptation. So toggling between FF & L in the dark, you can achieve several nights of useful lighting tool before needing to swap the cell.

But beware of the hidden disco mode; it is not hidden enough.

firefly mode is just what you need when you wake in pitch black
    12 lumens is about the limit of what dark adapted eyes can stand briefly before losing dark adaptation

great post that gives a specific usage scenario example, I totally agree

fwiw the strobe is 7 twists deep, and can be useful to alert traffic when crossing the street, even during the day, as it strobes the High mode :-)

AAA lights also accept a red chapstick cap as a diffuser, for even better preservation of fully dark adapted vision.. so we can get back to sleep easily after a late PeeRun, without suppressing melatonin by using "cool white" lighting (w high blue spectrum).

I just received a Thrunite Ti5T this weekend - same modes as the Ti3 but with a clicky. The runtime graphs I've seen for Thrunite's multimode AAA lights are not perfectly flat on high, but close enough for my purposes.

Its firefly mode seems a bit dimmer than the equivalent on my 4-mode L3 light (I have the L11C, but I think the L08 has the same output in firefly). That's not a problem for me. I like that level when moving around indoors with dark adapted eyes.

Yes, both the threads and the rear clicky switch are a bit gritty feeling. It's also available in an aluminum version that should feel smoother. I'm more charmed by the polished appearance than I am bothered by the grittiness.

Selfbuilt tested the older version of the Ti3 with an XP-G2 emitter and found no signs of PWM:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?389766

My main complaint is a definite green tint to the hotspot. I can live with it, but it's the worst light in my collection for off-colored tint. I don't know if I lost the tint lottery, or if that's pretty typical of XP-L lights. I think some places are still selling the older XP-G2 version.

Mine might have an intermittent issue. It came on ok a couple times out of the box, then stopped for several minutes. In the middle of troubleshooting with a multimeter that was leading me to suspect the tail switch, it started working again and has not recurred so far. I will have to keep an eye on it. I know no manufacturer achieve 100% perfect products, so I'm not counting that against it yet. Hopefully Thrunite is good with warranty service if the problem comes up again.
    Last edited by iamlucky13; 03-19-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast