1xAAA with Dim Low Mode?

ronniepudding

Enlightened
You might want to define what you mean by "really dim" using a lumen value as a threshold. Some folks think 3 lumens is really dim. I think one of the lowest firefly modes on a triple-A light is 0.09 lumens from the L3 Illumination L08. Olight i3s has an advertised Moonlight mode of .5 lumens, but Selfbuilt tested it as being lower than that in 2014. Thrunite is known for its low-low modes.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
ThruNite Ti can also be bought cheaper in aluminum in various colours.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti-xp-l-v4-max-162-lumen-titanium-keychain-light/

"Firefly: 0.5 Lm(115h)"

John.

Yeah, bbbut why limit OP's options with the link to just the gritty actioned titanium? Great material for a larger light; kind of an affectation in AAA with little material benefit, which as far as I can tell, is that the Ti heats up faster, useful in northern latitudes I suppose. ;)

http://www.thrunite.com/aaa-flashlight/

All these have pretty much the same firefly mode. And the best part? Some are not titanium! Even the Ti3 in Al also has much smoother thread action and far better heat properties than Ti.
My favorite is TiS in stainless, smooth action, and won't float away when the wind blows. Though gone from Thunite's site, both TiS tint versions are still available at illumn.com

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Good point. I'm defining low as a couple lumens or lower. That ThruNite looks interesting. Anyone know if it's fully regulated in all modes?

I'm not sure Thrunite's lower modes are regulated or not, but the high modes are definitely not regulated.

If you can find one, the Reylight Copper Tool has about a 0.7 to 1lm low, very useful. I believe the Reylight Ti Tool is still available at Banggood with the same mode sequence with the electronic switch. Unless you're looking for firefly mode, a 1lm low is very nice, a moonlight mode more or less.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure Thrunite's lower modes are regulated or not, but the high modes are definitely not regulated.

If you can find one, the Reylight Copper Tool has about a 0.7 to 1lm low, very useful. I believe the Reylight Ti Tool is still available at Banggood with the same mode sequence with the electronic switch. Unless you're looking for firefly mode, a 1lm low is very nice, a moonlight mode more or less.

Might fine English words being specked.

"Considering The Following Case In Your New Tool Ti As Normal Which It Has Low Battery In Electronic Tail Switch. Please Put a new AAA Battery In Tool Ti for 20 minutes Under Close-Down Condition To Solve Them. You Can't Turn It On ,You Can't Switch The Modes ,Same Brightness In Mid-High Mode"

John.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ti Tool has a lower low than the Copper version.

The original Astrolux A01 has a great moonlight, the current models are bad. The Copper or Old Lumens models on Banggood are probably good. FourSevens A0 Titanium has a great low mode. I'm assuming the Peaks with QTC are probably able to get very low. DQG Tiny AAA Ti has a nice low too.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The foursevens preon p0, i think it's called atom A0 now. 0,25 lumen. It has no reflector, so no bright hotspot. Just a broad even beam from side to side. Runs forever. No pwm. Smallest aaa there is (i think).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight i3s has regulated modes, and I really like the 0.5 lumen low (does not come with Nichia), and it has really nice smooth threads and NoPWM. see runtime and regulation charts here

Thrunite Titanium AAA, 0.04 low, NoPWM. I have the Titanium version w 162 lumen XPL, threads are super gritty, not recommended. It is NOT regulated (there is no way a 162 lumen level can be regulated on an AAA, it is direct drive and drops like a lead balloon). Not sure about the other models, but imo the 0.04 low is practically useless, I prefer the Olight low.

CuWorm w Nichia, 3 lumen low (5 lumen low on the cool white), regulated, NoPWM.. I dont consider this a dim low mode, I would call it a bright low mode.

the L08 4 mode w Nichia is a very nice light imo, it has a 0.09 low, (equally useless as the Thrunite low imo), followed by a 3 lumen mode, the high mode is NOT regulated, has NoPWM.

The ReyLight TiTool has a 1 lumen low, NoPWM, but is Not regulated on high.

Prometheus Beta Copper w Nichia has a 1 lumen low, YesPWM, dont know if its regulated

afaict, there are very few lights with regulated modes on all levels.. maybe someone has a list of them?

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the Thrunite T5Ti which has gritty threads too but also a nice forward clicky standard and a decent clip!

The 4/7 Atom aaa is great and a mule so the low is pretty useful even though lower than some others but it can be had with Nichia if you want and the ET D25aaa is an amazing little light with a nice brighter Low Mode and Nichia option as well.

As far as what is useful in a low,low level light I find that for the middle of the night bathroom run use even these crazy lows are more light than I need with dark adjusted eyes.

We each like what we like though so it is a good thing that they offer so many options too!

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Jon. A "useless" low mode to you is moonlight heaven to others (like me). Just state the mode without bias. Remember that the OP is asking for a dim low mode.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
No worries. I understand that everything is subjective. I did order a couple ThruNite Ti3's as I liked what I read/watched about them.

I should have them tomorrow. I'll probably try the Olight next.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
​Both the SF Titan & Titan Plus have a low of 15 lumens.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon. A "useless" low mode to you is moonlight heaven to others (like me). Just state the mode without bias. Remember that the OP is asking for a dim low mode.

:)
gunga, I clearly stated "imo" and "practically useless for me", those are MY opinions for how I use my lights
for my needs the Thrunite is not practical, I dislike that it starts on the "useless" low first, and much prefer the Olight lumen level, AND mode sequence, for MY needs..

I realize for how you use your lights, a "useless" low first is heavenly :)

I also agree that the 0.04 thrunite low works as a nightlight, and for very close up use in full darkness, and also for a bathroom run when waking in the middle of the night

the OP defined dim as less than a couple of lumens, I did not think he would be happy with the low on a Thrunite, Manker/Astrolux, or L08, but yes, I did specify the lumen levels, so he could make an educated choice

I did order a couple ThruNite Ti3's… I'll probably try the Olight next.

I look forward to your impressions.. congrats on your new toys :)