Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite/most beloved 1xAA lights?

Flashaholic

Default Favourite/most beloved 1xAA lights?

Hi all, just wondering what some of your favourite 1xAA lights are?

Default Re: Favourite/most beloved 1xAA lights?

Got to be the Mini Mag,the one that got me here!

SC52 since the day they were released.

Yep SC52w is by far the best and most cost effective. Can use AA @ 280 lumens max or drop in a 14500 and get 500 lumens max. The UI is the best in the market IMO. Can access any mode without guess or running through linear modes. The low and moon light levels are phenomenal running a max duration of 3 months. The switch is really nice with an overall high quality light. You won't find anything like it at this price level.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraman502 View Post
    Yep SC52w is by far the best and most cost effective. Can use AA @ 280 lumens max or drop in a 14500 and get 500 lumens max.
    OK, but 14500 is not an AA cell, and I personally don't understand the widely popular affection for an irrelevant and discontinued Zebralight model... because the SC5 is brighter on AA than the SC52 on 14500. And let's be honest, you WILL own an SC5 Mk II when it becomes available and your backorder is finally fulfilled.

I chose the SC52 because it was smaller and has an option for 2 different cell types. Yes the SC5 is brighter but is also larger which I didn't want. I have the SC600w MK III HI which is only 4.6mm larger in the head and about 15 mm longer and much brighter. I could have purchased the SC63 but I wanted an AA. I just found the size and brightness of the SC52w to be exactly what I wanted for EDC.
    Last edited by Cobraman502; 03-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Another vote for the SC52w. I tried the SC5w OP but that slight increase in weight and size was just too much for what could have been a simple AA. The L10 twisty is a good example of how small you can get; that's my runner up.
    GOOD TINT!

The only light I wouldn't want to live without is my h502.

I have found the SC52w fits perfect in the watch pocket (right side little pocket) of my jeans.

Pelican 2350 here. Gen 2 version. Definitely my favorite 1aa.

That and my 1953 HIPCO jewel thief number.

Edit: Gotta add the Icon Rogue 1 that triples as a potato peeler or nun-chuc... or a nun-chuc with potato peelings all over it.
    I also like the built in traffic wand feature of the Icon Modus 1. And last but certainly not least, the Coast HP1
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-20-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    John 3:16

My zebralight h52w is in my pocket everyday, and if I'm working the headband strap is either in my bag, jacket, or the back pocket of my jeans. I've worked in too many dimly lit environments over the years to go anywhere without it. I hardly ever change the batteries in it, and it's never gotten dim. I even had a battery explode in there during an emergency, and totally forgot about it (sacrilege, I know, but in a real emergency you don't stop to clean out your flashlight, you're just thankful that it's still working). I used it for about a month after that with the burst cell in there, and it was nice and bright the whole time. Nothing about the performance made me think anything was wrong. And thats not because I neglected the light, I was using it for sometimes hours at a time, nearly everyday. When I finally went to swap the leaking cell out the acid had dried, and the light was still doing fine on medium. It cleaned up fine, and it's still working like new. With a light this efficient I don't understand why anyone would strap a 18650 to their forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by EseriesModder View Post
    With a light this efficient I don't understand why anyone would strap a 18650 to their forehead.
    Runtime and output. I love my H52w as well, but you can't have both. With the H600w you can have both for just a little extra size and weight. That's important to me when backpacking and I need a fairly high output AND runtime. No swapping batteries either which is great.
    GOOD TINT!

I know, I know, but to be honest its still pretty bright on high, and I have other flashlights if I want super bright. This one runs on a AA! There are two of those in every remote control in every house, ever. That's sort of what this thread is about, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by EseriesModder View Post
    I know, I know, but to be honest its still pretty bright on high, and I have other flashlights if I want super bright. This one runs on a AA! There are two of those in every remote control in every house, ever. That's sort of what this thread is about, isn't it?
    Yes, they're great lights. But if you ask "why", you'll get a response, eventually
    GOOD TINT!

Haha, well, it's a good response. I could see it having a legitimate edge for backpacking and hiking long trails at night. I'm more of the caving and climbing sort, so I'd rather carry more weight in my pack and less on my face, but I can see where the added run time would be a bonus there, too, for multi-pitch climbs.

I usually find myself double clicking to go straight to medium, though. Either because I'm around people, and it's more civil, or because there's a wall or workbench three feet away from me, and blindingly bright won't be helpful. That probably explains my crazy runtimes.
    Last edited by EseriesModder; 03-20-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Flashaholic*

The only AA light I have is a Lumintop Mini Prince.

I chose the SC52 because it was smaller...

(Image stolen from Vinh!)

And it still is! Difficult to make out in the photo, but if you look above where the SC5 is, middle left, and squint, you can just barely make out the SC52 at top left. The behemoth SC5 weighs 18g heavier than the nearly microscopic SC52. Coincidentally, 18g is how much one mole of water weighs, which takes up a volume of 18mL, and is also about the weight of the aluminum pet tag that might be on the collar of a cat. Though that is all true, I'm just messing with you... 18g is considerable, actually... 18g of 24K gold today costs $713.96, and if you were shorted 18g of medical cannabis, you would be tremendously bummed.

... and has an option for 2 different cell types.
    Fair point, the SC5 only accepts an AA.

Yes the SC5 is brighter but is also larger which I didn't want....
    Ah, so you won't be using a 14500, then.

Well, it's a great world to be living in with so many options... I mean, that is... if Zebralight still manufactured and sold the SC52w.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 03-20-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Flashaholic*

I still like my Quark mini AA neutral.
    That and my Quark Pro AA, or Peak ElCapitan.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

M30W ( "lego" )

Spyglass (custom)

TripLED ( "lego" )

El Capitan (Ti version)
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Got to be the Mini Mag,the one that got me here!

SC52 since the day they were released.
    I have had mine for decades. I still use it to read by in bed on occasion.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    Well, it's a great world to be living in with so many options... I mean, that is... if Zebralight still manufactured and sold the SC52w.
    I believe they do. It's in stock right now and on their spreadsheet as an active item (The L2 new version). The old SC52/w has been discontinued.

I know on paper and in a photo they don't look much different, but once you start using both and rotating them, the difference is huge. I mean, once you start downsizing the 1xAA format you can only go so far. Each little step makes a big difference.

p.s. I don't think anyone mentioned the L11C? I like that one too. There has been some complaints about durability, so maybe that's why.
    Last edited by markr6; 03-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    GOOD TINT!

D10!!!!!!!!

Close second:
    H502W
    L11C 219
    Reylight Pineapple
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

And it still is! Difficult to make out in the photo, but if you look above where the SC5 is, middle left, and squint, you can just barely make out the SC52 at top left. The behemoth SC5 weighs 18g heavier than the nearly microscopic SC52. Coincidentally, 18g is how much one mole of water weighs, which takes up a volume of 18mL, and is also about the weight of the aluminum pet tag that might be on the collar of a cat. Though that is all true, I'm just messing with you... 18g is considerable, actually... 18g of 24K gold today costs $713.96, and if you were shorted 18g of medical cannabis, you would be tremendously bummed.

Running 14500 right now. Picked the light up from ZL just a few days ago. Guess is got lucky.

Are you guys talking about vinh selling them? Zebralight still makes the SC52 and SC52w L2 and the w is in stock.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Are you guys talking about vinh selling them? Zebralight still makes the SC52 and SC52w L2 and the w is in stock.
    Vinh does not make these. He just sells them stock no mods from what I have seen.

I ordered another one from ZL Today,MKay?

Good thing that your opinion of this is irrelevant to my decisions.

I also have tried carrying and using both and the SC5 is just not as handy for me.

My very Favorite 1xAA light
    is the 47's Quark QTA.

That's the Tactical interface.
    I have it set up thusly:

- Head loose is Low (not moon-mode)

- Head tight is Medium

This is my Main EDC flashlight,
    and the one I instinctively reach for !

These 2 settings handle most of my needs.

Other worthy contenders:
    (in no special order)

- 47's Qmini

- Zebralight SC5w (Love this light !)

- Zebralight H51fw and H52w headlights (so VERY nice for hands-free use)

I really enjoy my Fenix LD12 (2012 edition) that has been modified to be a Nichia flooder.... Also great for taking the dog out at night..
    Maratac AAA Rev 5, AAA Cu Rev 4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Good news about the new SC52!! My head was filled with nonsense from a recent thread complaining about it having been discontinued, not updated, and no longer available. I see the new one is already on backorder. The worst detail about Zebralight is their inventory manager, or stock clerk, or whomever is responsible for ever allowing that to happen, over and over and over.

Sorry for all the OT BS. But I really thought it was gone, was led to believe the speculation that all new ZL's would have the newer larger diameter hosts.

Archimedes, thanks for posting, and reminding me of the McGizmo AA Haiku (I see you have a Valient Concepts head there).

I have been searching for a favorite 1xAA light. The Thrunite T10 is tempting to me, and deserves an honorable mention, but I prefer lights where the heads are interally threaded and the cell tube externally threaded. Unlike with many 1xAAA lights, I was surprised to discover absolutely none I have heard of or seen thrill me; none meet all of my preferences. None, that is, except McGizmo's AA Haiku, with its constant current circuit, interface starts in low, emitter is high CRI, a beautiful design, a solid investment.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 03-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Good news about the new SC52!! My head was filled with nonsense from a recent thread complaining about it having been discontinued, not updated, and no longer available. I see the new one is already on backorder. The worst detail about Zebralight is their inventory manager, or stock clerk, or whomever is responsible for ever allowing that to happen, over and over and over.

Sorry for all the OT BS. But I really thought it was gone, was led to believe the speculation that all new ZL's would have the newer larger diameter hosts.

Archimedes, thanks for posting, and reminding me of the McGizmo AA Haiku (I see you have a Valient Concepts head there).

I have been searching for a favorite 1xAA light. The Thrunite T10 is tempting to me, and deserves an honorable mention, but I prefer lights where the heads are interally threaded and the cell tube externally threaded. Unlike with many 1xAAA lights, I was surprised to discover absolutely none I have heard of or seen thrill me; none meet all of my preferences. None, that is, except McGizmo's AA Haiku, with its constant current circuit, interface starts in low, emitter is high CRI, a beautiful design, a solid investment.

Vinh does not make these. He just sells them stock no mods from what I have seen.
    +1 Vinh says it one light he won't mod..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast