ArmyTek        

View Poll Results: Would you buy an AAA Malkoff light?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, regardless of options.

11 42.31%
  • Yes, with qualifiers. I'm a Flashaholic, after all...

15 57.69%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff AAA Flashlight? Now with poll.

Default Re: Malkoff AAA Flashlight?

The count is now 50!

@Lucky Duck. Already had you on the list (post #20).

I think Gene will take it as read that many of us will buy multiples. Seems easier at this point to count heads than total lights.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I would be in for 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post

I think Gene will take it as read that many of us will buy multiples. Seems easier at this point to count heads than total lights.
    Yep, it's CPF ... and two is one, here
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yep, it's CPF ... and two is one, here
    Two is one and we need a third on the shelf for the collection

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
    My AAA is always clipped in my pocket and I don't even feel it there.
    Speaking of clips, a nice reversible clip would be nice.

Just curious if we have an appointed or voulenteer member to approach Mr. Malkoff about this. And what the head count needed to do so is. Will 50 be enough?
    I have never been excited enough to get in on a list like this. But this one has me impatient already

Quote Originally Posted by Gt390 View Post
    Just curious if we have an appointed or voulenteer member to approach Mr. Malkoff about this. And what the head count needed to do so is. Will 50 be enough?
    I have never been excited enough to get in on a list like this. But this one has me impatient already
    With the egginator, the count comes to 51. I suggest that the OP reach out to Mr. Malkoff when we think the time is right. However, I think there is another question we need to answer first. What specifically are we asking Gene to build? There have been many suggestions for features and it does not seem plausible that they can all be accommodated. Some want a clicky, some ask for a twisty, most don't want PWM, etc. There was some early concern that a AAA light from Malkoff would be larger than comparable offerings from other makers.

I just think we need to be clear about what we're asking for. I imagine something characteristically simple. Single output, 60ish lumens, high CRI. I don't have much preference where the switch is concerned since I didn't imagine advancing modes. Allowing room for Mr. Malkoff's own creative input, is this more or less something we can all be on board with?

My thinking is that we’re lucky if he decides to make a AAA light so I’m good with whatever he decides to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    My thinking is that we’re lucky if he decides to make a AAA light so I’m good with whatever he decides to do.
    I think that's right answer. I do hope we're all in agreement.

I agree as well. A lot of different " I would buy it if it had...... " may cause him to feel he could never satisfy everyone. Maybe it should be understood that this is an I will buy whatever aaa light he decides to make poll.

Not wanting to get into a discussion of specifics, but price point might also understandably have a significant effect on market interest.

Geez Archimedes I better check the url on my browser. I thought this was cpf, JK.

Modes and emitter will definitely affect my decision. If it isn't available in cool white, then I'm out. Same with single output -- I already have plenty of those in AAA format. Two levels, preferably ~5 lumens and ~60 lumens, would maintain my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gt390 View Post
    Geez Archimedes I better check the url on my browser. I thought this was cpf, JK.
    Point taken ... ... but I was mostly referring to the wider (non-enthusiast) market.

Even if every CPF'r in this thread buys five of these, I doubt if that'd even cover his tooling costs.

Another interesting thought ... maybe make these in steel ?

Aluminum of course has advantages in terms of thermal and weight, but in a low output and small flashlight, steel offers some potential offsetting benefits in toughness.

Point taken ... ... but I was mostly referring to the wider (non-enthusiast) market.

Even if every CPF'r in this thread buys five of these, I doubt if that'd even cover his tooling costs.
    Does seem a bit pie in the sky, but I've learned that public flashlight interest is inversely proportional to the size of the flashlight. Less is usually more. In a way, I'm surprised he doesn't already have a line of AAA lights. On the other hand, I'd hate for him to embark on a business venture on our behalf, only to find insufficient interest in the broader market.

How about a "mini-me" version of the MDC AA in terms of physical attributes, then minus the PWM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Exactly

I would like to see a micro MD2 with high/low ring so to speak using the same 4000K 90CRI Nichia 219B used in the Illumn/Malkoff modules and MDC's. Two mode forward clicky(moonlight loose tail cap and 60-100 lumen tight) with no PWM and the ability to tailstand. The perfect nightstand light.
    Last edited by Tachead; 10-28-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Another interesting thought ... maybe make these in steel ?
    I said something about either stainless steel or titanium a page or two back. Frankly I wouldn’t buy it if it wasn’t made out of either of those two metals. Also think 60 lumen is too low for a high. I’d rather see a 90 or 120 high and a 10 lumen low. Maybe a control ring with a off setting?

I'm looking for a simple, one-size-fits-all type of light, built to Malkoff quality standards.

If I'm using something diminutive like an AAA light, then my EDC is either out of juice or temporarily misplaced. I just wanna turn it on and see close by stuff. I would not be opposed to a more intricate UI, but my concern is that asking for overly complex features or expensive metals will either price this item out of existence or turn Mr. Malkoff away before getting started.

I'm in. I do like think the high needs to be around 120 and I like the idea of either a two stage twisty or the button.

Gotcha on the good list, Gadgetman.

Flashaholic*

Im fine with 60 lumens. I can barly see any difference between my 55 lumen vollison sp11 and 110 lumen ti tool. The difference is so small thay you have to double check and triple check to notice any difference. It sounds lika a lot of difference, but we see light in a logarithmic way, so the visual difference is really small. Imo those extra lumen is not worth half the runtime in a single or dual mode light.

Flashaholic*

I am a big fan of progressive twisty ui, such as the one in original Aeons. Would love to see it in this aaa light

It might be useful to see what he could do, at what price point, with how many pre-orders would need to be placed before the project takes off.

Kind of like Kickstarter, in some respects.
    "We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by TMedina View Post
    It might be useful to see what he could do, at what price point, with how many pre-orders would need to be placed before the project takes off.

Kind of like Kickstarter, in some respects.
    +1. I'd like to hear what Gene thinks about it. Even if he decides to build an AAA I doubt he wants to build ten different versions! I would like one if it's clean and simple, so it will be interesting to see if he's interested in going ahead with a prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
    +1. I'd like to hear what Gene thinks about it. Even if he decides to build an AAA I doubt he wants to build ten different versions! I would like one if it's clean and simple, so it will be interesting to see if he's interested in going ahead with a prototype.
    It may be more productive to approach this thread from the other direction. In other words, let's find out what sort of device, if any, he'd be willing to build and how many pledges he would need in order to start. We might also learn something about a potential price point. With those questions answered, we could each make an informed decision and take a fresh count. Of course, he may just say "no thank you."

Perhaps the OP will contact Mr. Malkoff and inquire about his interest?

Maybe if we make a list of all the suggestions and get a consensus on the features we want. Then see if Malkoff is willing to make that kind of light. With a consensus we can get a better idea of how many people are willing to buy it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast