Zebralight SC62w or SC600w Mk III Hi - Your Preference

Witterings

Enlightened
Just interested to see if people have a preference for either the Zebralight SC62w or the SC600w Mk III Hi ... They obviously have different beam patterns and the SC62 is that bit smaller / lighter which makes it a bit more pocketable but do you have a leaning to one or the other and interested to hear the reasoning behind it if you do???

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Just interested to see if people have a preference for either the Zebralight SC62w or the SC600w Mk III Hi ... They obviously have different beam patterns and the SC62 is that bit smaller / lighter which makes it a bit more pocketable but do you have a leaning to one or the other and interested to hear the reasoning behind it if you do???

I skipped over the the SC62 with the reasoning that both it and the SC600 are bigger than I want to pocket EDC so I should just as well get the larger light. So I edc a S1 baton or SC52, but when I go for evening excursions the SC600w is the light I grab. I love the tint and beam profile as an all rounder and run it at M1 or H2 with the occasional H1 to check out distant objects and the battery seems to last forever.
It's surprisingly comfortable enough in my pocket for a couple hours a night that I've been tempted to make it an EDC but it's just a bit overkill for my daily activities.
Not sure if that helps, but I do love this light.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
The sc52 and sc63 are basically the same size because the head on the 52 is so large. I'm a huge AA fan but because of the size I couldn't rationalize the reduced capacity on the sc52.

The ultimate light would be an sc63 HI because it is a bit floodier than I would like it to be.

The sc600 series is large enough that it becomes another type of toy.

It's really personal preference but the insane size to power ratio of the 63 and the great clip make it my favorite light.

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I use both. The SC62w for indoors and SC600w mkIII HI for outdoors.

Witterings

Enlightened
The ultimate light would be an sc63 HI because it is a bit floodier than I would like it to be.

I've thought along these lines as well, appreciate with the smaller head it wouldn't throw as far the SC600w Mk III Hi but would be nice to have it as an option.

Of all the torches I have, in my opinion the best beam profile for every day use is a Niteye Jet II Pro which has the same size head as a 62/63 and uses an XP-L Hi and would have thought this'd be similar but with an 18650 and a nicer tint.

drummer132132

Enlightened
The SC600w mk iii hi would be my choice. I carry it with me every day as well as for work. Great spill with the added throw if you need it. If I could only own one zebralight it would be the hi.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
The one thing is that k really think of these as 350 lumen lights since they don't operate at a higher output for all that long. If you need to rock out 500+ lumens for an hour you need a malkoff or something else running 2x18650s.

These have burst brightness that high but if you were out in the woods for a while you would really be using a 300 ish lumen light.

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
The one thing is that k really think of these as 350 lumen lights since they don't operate at a higher output for all that long. If you need to rock out 500+ lumens for an hour you need a malkoff or something else running 2x18650s.

These have burst brightness that high but if you were out in the woods for a while you would really be using a 300 ish lumen light.

I would have to disagree, I use my sc600 mkiii in the woods walking my dog and it maintains 500+ lumens for 45 mins to an hour no problem. I usually bring along my pd35 and compare the brightness of the pd35 on high (460 lumens) and the zebralight is noticeably brighter.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
My only real complaint about both these lights is I wish they have higher Med ranges. I'd like to go from a 500lm H2 to a 250lm M1 but M1 is 61lm which is a very large decrease. Can't wait for fully programmable modes. I'll be all over that.

Last edited:

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Sorry my perception of 300 lumens is just a guess it could easily be 500.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both work for pocket carry although the MK3 HI is much bulkier. If you plan on using it as a EDC light and not much throw is needed, I would go with the SC62w. Even though it's small and floody it puts out plenty of light on the 500+ lumen modes that cover a large area. If you need something with good throw and it's not going to be pocket carried all the time then the MK3 HI will be better. Both are great and btw the tint on the MK3 HI is excellent.

LGT

Enlightened
I prefer the SC62w, which was the EDC that displaced all of my HDS lights. Not because of the size difference, as others have mentioned. I'm just not a big fan of the Mk III Hi. Too much of a hot spot for my liking. I also prefer the SC600w MkII over the Hi.

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
I've had an SC62D for some years now and its still one of the favs in my EDC rotation. Size to battery life: outstanding! Weight: nearly unnoticeable. Brightness: perfectly adequate 95% of the time. Hard to beat for pocketability especially since I substituted the clip with a Fenix one to make it deeper carry. Plus all the other great Zebralight advantages. Oh, and my particular D version, great tint and apparent high CRI. The 62D was my EDC during my travels in India recently. Despite the D version not being the brightest of the 62 bunch it proved to be the brightest of lights when compared to what my fellow travelers were carrying. It lit the way heroically when our bus broke down quite literally in the middle of nowhere in the Indian countryside at midnight!

Last edited:

Witterings

Enlightened
In some ways it's really funny seeing everybody's comments because whilst they're so similar it also reiterates that one light doesn't work for all situations and gives us flashaholics justification for buying many lights depending on what you want them for :twothumbs

That said whilst I had the SC600w Mk III Hi I've literally only just got a SC62w which I had to have as I thought this would be the most ultimate light in the world.

Whilst I prefer the SC62 as it's that bit smaller / better for the pocket I probably prefer the beam of the SC600w Mk III Hi ... One of my main 2 uses is walking the dog down a dark lane in a countrified area and whilst the majority of the time either would be on medium ... if you hear something in the distance ideally you want some throw and there is quite a difference between the two.

I've used the 600 quite a bit as a bike light so again be interested to see how they compare but I really did take on a comment from JLeephoto in post #2

I skipped over the the SC62 with the reasoning that both it and the SC600 are bigger than I want to pocket EDC so I should just as well get the larger light. So I edc a S1 baton or SC52, but when I go for evening excursions the SC600w is the light I grab. I love the tint and beam profile as an all rounder and run it at M1 or H2 with the occasional H1 to check out distant objects and the battery seems to last forever.

Maybe if you have a really good AA then it's just a choice of which beam profile you prefer for an 18650 because again it's down to what you want to use it for ... either you grab the smaller and lighter AA which is better in your pocket in case you need a light ... but if you know you're going to be out in the dark the marginal difference in size becomes a bit irrelevant as it'll be in your hand anyway.

Gosh .. decisions on which light's to buy and keep ... all of them :p .. and that wouldn't be enough :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer lots of other lights when throw is required but for general use and pocket carry you cannot beat sc62w.

Climb14er

Enlightened
I've got an early edition of the SC600 and SC52, both excellent lights that are still doing its job for years.

I wanted a small, lightweight EDC with newer technology and bought an SC62. THIS is my EDC and go to light when traveling with four spare batteries.

The SC62 is a phenomenal light!