LED color discussion

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello CPF,

I've been looking around at old threads and I haven't been able to find a good thread with pictures and discussion about...

"What are wavelengths of light good for?"

I think it would be cool to put a thread together with everyone's opinions and beamshots of different color light in different situations.

Let's hear your opinions!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Experience has taught me that most "Color X is best for task X" formulas are old wives' tales, and your best bet in pretty much any given situation is to have ample near-as-full-spectrum light to complete the task.

One exception: Insects can't see red, so you can use red light in a situation where you don't want to draw bugs (mosquitos can still see you as they use thermal vision.)

night.hoodie

Enlightened
For higher frequency violets, UV-A can be used for forensics and scorpion hunting, UV-B for geological purposes such as finding certain minerals that flouresce, and UV-C can be used for sterilization of microbes, either by the direct exposure or by exposure to ozone which UV-C creates from air.

Lower frequency blues can be used for blood tracking, but also by convention, it is used backstage by stage crew, reportedly because this frequency doesn't travel as far, but also because blue gel film is common in a theater and one of the less expensive gels, thus a decent choice for filtering a white light for backstage work.

Green is reported to not spook land-based wild life, so a good choice for observing what animals are there and what they are doing in the dark. Green is also the choice for checking the progress of plants during the dark cycles of plant growth, as green leaves absorb all color but green wavelengths, it will not disturb your plants.

Yellow, especially Selective Yellow, is best for navigating through fog. Also, as most insects are attracted to lower frequency blues and UV, yellow and any higher frequency colors are the best bug lights, to prevent flying insects from being attracted to your light source.

Amber is reportedly best for navigating through blinding particulate smoke.

Red is easy on dark adapted eyes, and though it is the intensity, not the color that matters, red can help you achieve dark adaptedness as well. Rods, cones, I forget already the biological explaination, but there are complelling reasons why red is chosen for saving dark adaptedness, which takes a long time in the dark to acquire and is gone relatively quickly when exposed to intense light. Red beams can't be seen from a lateral position, making them decent choices for the front of a dark theater, to not disturb other audience members when leaving or returning to your seat.

Infrared can be used to supplement night vision equipment.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly the kind of responses I'm looking for! For instance is there a color that is best for not alerting others and can still navigate a rocky trail?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
night.hoodie,
I think that that is the most concise guide to led colors that I have seen here. bookmarked. Thank you!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That is absolutely true, I guess I'm just wanting something that doesn't exist [emoji5]

Got $200 and change?

bMuZnra.jpg

bigm

Newly Enlightened
I was just thinking about researching this a couple nights ago! I always used red for hunting night crawlers; doesn't spook them as much. Green light is the only way to go to check on plants at night without interrupting their flowering cycle. Infra red light can be used on plants for a brief period at the beginning of the night to help speed the breakdown of the hormone built up during the day that governs whether a plant is in vegetative or flowering growth, allowing one to increase the hours of light given to a plant without forcing it out of flowering.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for updating night hoodie! That's a great guide. I used to work in theaters and we always used red gels backstage, but if you're clothes were faded black they would reflect a ton of light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
great topic!

I like 3000k below 10 lumens
I like 4000k below 100 lumens
I like 5000k above 100 lumens
all w High CRI

I like red for preserving night vision, at 1 lumen or less
I do NOT like Blue light, especially not when dark adapted
I like Green light for photosensitive plants during their dark period, NOT Red light, which iirc they use to count photoperiod.

I believe:
Red travels the shortest distance, so is most stealthy
Green travels the largest distance, so is Least stealthy
365nM UV is best for detecting the red band on US $100 bills.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Green light is the only way to go to check on plants at night without interrupting their flowering cycle. Infra red light can be used on plants for a brief period at the beginning of the night to help speed the breakdown of the hormone built up during the day that governs whether a plant is in vegetative or flowering growth, allowing one to increase the hours of light given to a plant without forcing it out of flowering.

I like Green light for photosensitive plants during their dark period, NOT Red light, which iirc they use to count photoperiod.

I missed something about why green is best for checking plants, but you two covered me and together give a fuller picture than my earlier post. Nice. Also, you've both reminded me that red isn't always red, or that there is orange-red, red-orange, red, redder, or true red, deep red, ultra red, infrared, etc., and is a very wide spectrum that we experience as basically reddish. One red frequency that is important to plants is around 660nm, which is why Cree calls their deeper red LED "Photo Red," because that narrow banded frequency is necessary for photosynthesis to occur (and it is a coincidence that this frequency is also great for darkrooms to prevent light-sensitive film and paper from activating exposure, but even reds down to 630nm wavelengths can prevent this, yet isn't what plants use). I was unaware of the use of infrared in green-thumbing plants.

I believe:
Red travels the shortest distance, so is most stealthy
Green travels the largest distance, so is Least stealthy
365nM UV is best for detecting the red band on US $100 bills.

My understanding is the lower frequency colors travel further due to the wavelengths being longer, but there are some things to consider. I think your experience is common, and is probably due to the sensitivity of human eyes. Our eyes are more sensitive to green light, for instance, so green will appear brighter at the same intensity as other colors, thus appear to travel further, and though red frequencies, in fact, travel further due to the long wavelength and tendency for higher frequencies to be absorbed before getting as far, human eyes are not nearly as sensitive to it, so we can't see that it is traveling further without bitchen scientific equipment. As for 365nm and the red band, which I didn't know about, nor this $100 bill you speak of (must weigh a ton!) that is the effect of fluorescence, which can occur for almost any color that will fluoresce, not just red, but yellow, green, etc. The Hope diamond, which is blue, fluoresces and phosphoresces red, interestingly. What this tells us is that we can't trust our eyes; there is more information there that we can see with the unaided eye and with white light sources.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
365nm and the red band
thanks for correcting my typo.. LOL..
at least I did not type Nm, so dont worry about traction..
thanks for proofreading :)

in this case red "band" may also be confusing you.. substitute Line for band

yes, Im talking about the fluorescent red Line on a USA $100,
the bill is not that heavy, weighs about the 1 gram. ;-)

added LED color trivia
a Nichia LED will fluoresce under UV too..

Extra credit quiz
find a pic of a Nichia under UV,
what color does it fluoresce?
same quiz for an XP-G2..

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that with my nichias... Orange?
winner!
seems the phosphor that produces red spectrum on Nichias is also UV phosphorescent
cree left, Nichia right, under UV light, courtesy of M4D M4X
IMG_20151115_110018%201280x960_zpsaj3vde1a.jpg

kind of makes sense, LEDs make a lot of blue light, Nichias add a phosphor that is excited by the blue and triggers release of reds

disclaimer, Im not a professional, my posts are my opinions, with examples on which to make your own assessment
Im sure someone with more technical knowledge could explain the science better

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
One red frequency that is important to plants is around 660nm, which is why Cree calls their deeper red LED "Photo Red," because that narrow banded frequency is necessary for photosynthesis to occur (and it is a coincidence that this frequency is also great for darkrooms to prevent light-sensitive film and paper from activating exposure, but even reds down to 630nm wavelengths can prevent this, yet isn't what plants use).

The peak is fairly wide and centered around 660nm, and you get a fair amount of output from 630 to 680, but maximized chlorophyll A&B at 660. You can get the same results with a shorter wavelength, but 660 is the most efficient wavelength both from photosynthesis versus light, but also from an LED production standpoint. 660nm LEDs are quite a bit more efficient than 630nm LEDs and they are far less impacted by temperature.

FYI, Cree does not make their own 660nm die. It's Epistar die in Cree packaging.

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Yellow, especially Selective Yellow, is best for navigating through fog. Also, as most insects are attracted to lower frequency blues and UV, yellow and any higher frequency colors are the best bug lights, to prevent flying insects from being attracted to your light source.

There are minor advantages to selective yellow, but just that minor and even then it is not necessarily better for navigating, just more comfortable to do it with. Navigating fog is almost exclusively about the angle between the light source and the observer as water droplets are retroreflectors.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
.. red can help you achieve dark adaptedness as well. Rods, cones, I forget already the biological explaination, but there are complelling reasons why red is chosen for saving dark adaptedness, which takes a long time in the dark to acquire and is gone relatively quickly when exposed to intense light.

Most of this is old wives tales with the exception of >650nm red which in the eye does behave much differently. If you are not using >650nm, in most cases you would be better off to use a very low level white light.