• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: trimmed down Pelican reflector to fit in KL3

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what the subject says:
Looking to buy a trimmed down Pelican reflector to fit around a TWAK in a KL3.

Also looking for a TWAK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BugLightGeek,

I happen to be working on that exact thing right now. It turns out that you can turn a PR down without touching the KL3 and still make it fit. Once I'm finished, I'll do a comparison to see how much I loose after having turned down the reflector. The way I did it, you'll also need a spacer to space the reflector from the LED for proper focus and short circuit avoidance.

I'll keep you posted

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm finished, but I can't find my digital camera. The beam may have lost a little tiny bit after having trimmed the reflector, but it's nothing noticeable. Nice bright beam with a very good hotspot and I was able to use the stock lens. The retaining ring does stick out a bit, maybe 1mm, but all is solid and I preferred to stick with the nice thick and coated Surefire lens rather than plain mineral glass or poly.

I'll post pics someplace when I find my camera.

Oh, I wound up not having to remove any material from the KL3 at all. If some are interested, maybe I could put together a package with a turned down reflector and spacer.

In any case, BugLightGeek, PM me. I think I needed to order more reflectors soon anyway.

Geez, I just sealed up and packed the KL3 I was working on and didn't take measurements. Anyone have a KL3 they want to send me for a test fitting?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did think about removing material from the retaining ring, but getting another if it got screwed up would be a PITA. I really don't think that enough sticks out to be a concern. I found my camera and am waiting for the batt to charge. When it does, I'll post some pics.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to trim down and suffer any light loss. Just trim to fit in and use a custom lens from flashlight lens. I forget the diameter but the lens is thin enough compared to the stock lens that the retaining ring still holds the lens in with enough thread holding it in place. Works pretty good. Besides, trimming it will make it look worse from a fit standpoint than having the plastic retaining ring stick out just a teeny bit.

fa5b1031.jpg

CM

HunterSon

Enlightened
I didn't mean trim the outside part, I thought laying the inside part flat on a disk sander could reduce the thickness a little in order to make it fit more flush to the bezel. Provided you leave enough threads to keep it screwed in securely. Buggered if it gets screwed up though.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, it getting screwed up is what I was worried about. I figured that I could put the ring in the head backwards, finger tight, and chuck the head and turn maybe 10/1000's off, but decided against it.

I don't think that trimming the reflector made it look any worse. It just looks like a reflector.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verrry nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif I definately want one!
I might be willing to send you mine, IF you'd care to install one of those bad boys along with a 3watter, TWAK or similar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and then ship her back to me. I'll pay for materials...see how generous I am!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, some pics.

On the left in the beam shot is the modded KL3 with a TWAK running at about 800mA and on the right is a TWOK running at 750mA. Both have PR's but the KL3 was turned down to make it fit.
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

As you can see, the ring sticks out just a little bit and I was able to use the stock lens. I was also able to put an o-ring around the reflector that compresses when you tighten down the ring and I believe that it forms a seal.

The beauty of this was that it didn't take long at all. A few minutes on the lathe and the rest was just like a usual KL3 mod.

hideo

Enlightened
Chop, I'd send you my KL3 and an M6 reflector for a test fitting ... what are you going to put in it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hideo

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLG,

Are you referring to the color of the light or the beam. They look pretty close to me as far as the beam goes. As for color, the camera did something funny to the pics. The TWAK actually has a blue tint to it and when comparing the TWOK to it directly, as above, the TWOK actually looks a bit yellow or even greenish. You only see it when doing a direct comparison though.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
BLG,

Looks like you found your reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop,

I've been waiting months for a reflector to fit a KL3 to 'turn' up. Any chance that you will be making more soon?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasabe64,

Once I get BLG's KL3, I'll actually take measurements this time and what I'll do is turn a few reflectors and include a spacer to properly space the reflector and an o-ring like the one I used. I've got to tell you though, I don't always trust my measurements and usually fit my parts as I turn them. If it's a little out, it won't fit, in the sense that either the lens ring won't go on far enough or the reflector may not fit into the hole in the KL3's head. I'm willing to give it a try though.

Maybe I'll just fit a few when I get BLG's KL3 in.

What do you suppose a fair price would be for the turned down reflector, spacer and o-ring?

Let me just say this: "EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A LATHE" and for the price of a couple of nice lights, you could.