Acebeam        

Thread: Alcohol stove cooking questions

Flashaholic*

Default Alcohol stove cooking questions

Can I use coleman camping lantern fuel (white gas) to cook in a alcohol stove or is it hazardous to the food?

What's a good brand of cooking alcohol?

Can I use 91% rubbing alcohol to cook?

Default Re: Alcohol stove cooking questions

There are gasoline stoves, but I'm pretty sure alcohol stoves can't use gasoline. No cite though. Could be hazardous to your health.

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post
    Can I use coleman camping lantern fuel (white gas) to cook in a alcohol stove or is it hazardous to the food?

use heet in the yellow bottle my walmart had it for 1 buck per bottle
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post

No. Do not white gas in an alcohol stove. That could end badly. Very badly. Use denatured alcohol or HEET with the blue words

The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

If you had a picture of your stove, we could be sure of what you have. I have used an MSR XGK camping stove for many years. It's the classical alpine stove that can use camping fuel, white gas, car gas, alcohol and even diesel if need be. I don't think that is what you have. We have also used alcohol stoves for years too for cheese fondue. Ours are a metal container that is filled with a fiberglass filling and a metal grate over the top. There, you pour the rubbing alcohol into the container and then place it under the pot. To light it, just touch it with a match. To kill the flame, you smother it with the metal lid that usually comes with it. There is also a paste version that works the same. Rubbing alcohol will burn without changing its physical state. White gas / camping fuel needs a carburetor that changes the liquid into a gas before it burns correctly. You can not interchange the two fuels. YMMV.

Marine stove alcohol, hardware store (paint section) denatured alcohol, or (for the truly desperate) one could reasonable assume the beverage additive 'Everclear' would function. Has anyone confirmed this?

Flashaholic*

It is wee bit expensive but you can use Everclear 199 proof alcohol in alcohol stoves, and in a pinch drink it after dilution. the above post showed up after I wrote the reply!
    will work for peanuts

Flashaholic*

My main concern is would I get sick if I use coleman lantern fuel to cook. Like frying an egg or boiling water to make coffee, etc. Because some fuels leave the bottom of the pan/pot very black.
    Last edited by dealgrabber2002; 03-27-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    'Everclear' would function. Has anyone confirmed this?
    Everclear is all I have been using for about 2 years now. Burns clean, not toxic (well, you know what I mean ) and can be used to disinfect or clean whatever. It's 13x more expensive than HEET or denatured alcohol, but I don't want toxic fuel and fumes 3" away from the food I'm going to eat. You can find off-brand stuff for $12-14 per bottle.

I tested DA, HEET and Everclear and the performance was very close.
    GOOD TINT!

Excellent sharing your experience! Knowing your choice of drinking water bottle (used Everclear containers) I was hoping you would see this thread. Do you notice that smell that is in denatured alcohol? Is it the same smell you detect from Everclear or knockoffs? What about the smell of HEET?

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Everclear is all I have been using for about 2 years now. Burns clean, not toxic (well, you know what I mean ) and can be used to disinfect or clean whatever. It's 13x more expensive than HEET or denatured alcohol, but I don't want toxic fuel and fumes 3" away from the food I'm going to eat. You can find off-brand stuff for $12-14 per bottle.

I tested DA, HEET and Everclear and the performance was very close.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Excellent sharing your experience! Knowing your choice of drinking water bottle (used Everclear containers) I was hoping you would see this thread. Do you notice that smell that is in denatured alcohol? Is it the same smell you detect from Everclear or knockoffs? What about the smell of HEET?
    Oh you remembered that! LOL drinking water from it as I type! Everclear smells just like vodka if I recall; I don't drink vodka but pretty sure I remember it well. I tested with Keen Strip brand denatured alcohol which didn't smell bad; just your usual strong chemical smell (starting fluid, brake parts cleaner, etc). HEET is similar, not sure how to differentiate it. Slightly less "sweet". Of course you should try not to make it a point to smell them just in case. All 3 fuels worked really well. I keep telling myself I'll switch to HEET for the price, but sticking with the grain alcohol for now.
    GOOD TINT!