Alcohol stove cooking questions

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I use coleman camping lantern fuel (white gas) to cook in a alcohol stove or is it hazardous to the food?

What's a good brand of cooking alcohol?

Can I use 91% rubbing alcohol to cook?

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
There are gasoline stoves, but I'm pretty sure alcohol stoves can't use gasoline. No cite though. Could be hazardous to your health.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Can I use coleman camping lantern fuel (white gas) to cook in a alcohol stove or is it hazardous to the food?

use heet in the yellow bottle my walmart had it for 1 buck per bottle

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

No. Do not white gas in an alcohol stove. That could end badly. Very badly. Use denatured alcohol or HEET with the blue words

HwyChef

Newly Enlightened
If you had a picture of your stove, we could be sure of what you have. I have used an MSR XGK camping stove for many years. It's the classical alpine stove that can use camping fuel, white gas, car gas, alcohol and even diesel if need be. I don't think that is what you have. We have also used alcohol stoves for years too for cheese fondue. Ours are a metal container that is filled with a fiberglass filling and a metal grate over the top. There, you pour the rubbing alcohol into the container and then place it under the pot. To light it, just touch it with a match. To kill the flame, you smother it with the metal lid that usually comes with it. There is also a paste version that works the same. Rubbing alcohol will burn without changing its physical state. White gas / camping fuel needs a carburetor that changes the liquid into a gas before it burns correctly. You can not interchange the two fuels. YMMV.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marine stove alcohol, hardware store (paint section) denatured alcohol, or (for the truly desperate) one could reasonable assume the beverage additive 'Everclear' would function. Has anyone confirmed this?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is wee bit expensive but you can use Everclear 199 proof alcohol in alcohol stoves, and in a pinch drink it after dilution. the above post showed up after I wrote the reply!

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main concern is would I get sick if I use coleman lantern fuel to cook. Like frying an egg or boiling water to make coffee, etc. Because some fuels leave the bottom of the pan/pot very black.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
'Everclear' would function. Has anyone confirmed this?

Everclear is all I have been using for about 2 years now. Burns clean, not toxic (well, you know what I mean :)) and can be used to disinfect or clean whatever. It's 13x more expensive than HEET or denatured alcohol, but I don't want toxic fuel and fumes 3" away from the food I'm going to eat. You can find off-brand stuff for $12-14 per bottle.

I tested DA, HEET and Everclear and the performance was very close.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent sharing your experience! Knowing your choice of drinking water bottle (used Everclear containers) I was hoping you would see this thread. Do you notice that smell that is in denatured alcohol? Is it the same smell you detect from Everclear or knockoffs? What about the smell of HEET?

Everclear is all I have been using for about 2 years now. Burns clean, not toxic (well, you know what I mean :)) and can be used to disinfect or clean whatever. It's 13x more expensive than HEET or denatured alcohol, but I don't want toxic fuel and fumes 3" away from the food I'm going to eat. You can find off-brand stuff for $12-14 per bottle.

I tested DA, HEET and Everclear and the performance was very close.

markr6

Flashaholic
Excellent sharing your experience! Knowing your choice of drinking water bottle (used Everclear containers) I was hoping you would see this thread. Do you notice that smell that is in denatured alcohol? Is it the same smell you detect from Everclear or knockoffs? What about the smell of HEET?

Oh you remembered that! LOL drinking water from it as I type! Everclear smells just like vodka if I recall; I don't drink vodka but pretty sure I remember it well. I tested with Keen Strip brand denatured alcohol which didn't smell bad; just your usual strong chemical smell (starting fluid, brake parts cleaner, etc). HEET is similar, not sure how to differentiate it. Slightly less "sweet". Of course you should try not to make it a point to smell them just in case. All 3 fuels worked really well. I keep telling myself I'll switch to HEET for the price, but sticking with the grain alcohol for now.