First Flashlight Mod, M@G

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this mod has been posted before, a couple times recently while I waited for future to get some heatsinks in stock that I ordered that I have absolutly NO use for! DOH!

Anyways I thougth I would share my experiences as a Newb to help others that are new to modding flashlights

I have a newer version of the mag despite the strange serial# on the package, it does not match the serial on the light. So all this time I was looking at the wrong one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Items used:

Lux III SX1J Bin
M@G 3C (new style) serial starts with a C
Hotlips C size HS, I purchased 2 sleves I have no use for...
UCL Lense.
AS Epoxy.

So first I started by removing the switch with an allen werench, simply take the rubber button off and stick the allen in the hole and turn until lose. The switch will drop out.

Switch2.jpg

(Pic of how you want the switch to look after you remove the post) You will need to cut the metal tab down so it is just large enough stub to solder a wire onto.
next remove as much of the bulb assembly as you can and throw this in the trash, (or keep it if you collect junk) I used a razor to split the switch in 2. OOPS ! I was not expecting tabs on the switch so I manged to breake one off.

Switch.jpg

Remove the brown plastic bulb tower(post) and re-assemble the switch. I had to use superglue to get get mine back together.

Slide the switch back into the tube and tighten into palce. Replace the rubber cap.

Insert the Hotlips HS into the light (mine fit tightly without sanding) Next time I will toss some artic ceramique on the endges to futher spread the heat into the base of the light.

Next I used a hacksaw and cut the bottem of the mag reflector off. *my first attempt I started cutting it right off at the base where it changes to the reflector. Do not do this, you must actualy leave about 2mm on the base or you will cut into the reflector) Si I put that reflector into my D cell mag and used the D's reflector in the C mag, they are identical.

Remove the old lense and insert the UCL lense.

I used AS epoxy to glue the light to the heatsink.
MagMod1.jpg

Here it is in all it's glory with the wires soldered to the hotlips and the Lux III glued in place.

MagMod2.jpg

here it is all put together with the UCL lense on the front.

Now for the Beamshots:
Yes they kinda suck because I do not have a good location to take them

Mag3DvsM@g3C.jpg

3D mag on the left (almsot new batteries)
3C mag ont he right (almsot new batteries but slightly dimmer than new batts)

Honestly this picture does the light no justice.

Candlemode.jpg

Here the Light is in candle mode, you canunscrew the top and set it into the base and use it for a candle type light. The room is pitch dark except for the M@glite.

Notes:

1) Be careful taking apart the switch they are not all the same!

2) Do not cut the bease of the mag reflector straight off! Measure the distance the reflector protrueds into the tube.

3) My broken switch had to be stuffed back intot he light, the superglue made it ever so slightly wider than before. This will make it very difficult to remove now that the hotlips is stuck in there on the top. It also makes the hotlips very difficult to remove. (have to get the switch out first somehow)

4)UCL lense is a must IMO.

5) I had to drill the holes in the hotlips slightly larger.

5) Im dissipointed in the perfectness of the beam, although far superior to a typical mag, it is not a perfect circle. So now I have to figure out how to sputter the lense.

* I'll try to shrink the pics when I get some free time, but I'm relaly buisy right now.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:

5) Im dissipointed in the perfectness of the beam, although far superior to a typical mag, it is not a perfect circle. So now I have to figure out how to sputter the lense.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

to get the most perfect beam, try one of otokoyama's camless perfect reflector for mag. It really smoothen the beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

parts:
Hotlips heatsink (from Hotbeam)
Luxeon (1W, 3W, or 5W) can be bought from dat2zip's shoppe
Maglite (whatever size you like)
battery
AA - can also be bought from Dat's shoppe

practically that all
enjoy

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Where exactly can i get one of otokoyama's camless perfect reflectors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've been looking for a better reflector to replace the one currently in my modded 3D mag.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes where can I get a better reflector? Or will sputtering the one I have fix it right up?

I got most of the stuff from hotlips, the UCL lense and the HS, I got the Star from future, but their shipping is alot, I bulk ordered $100 in LEDs because I'm going to post projects of my longer term project #2 tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I purchased teh 3C mag from Fry's.

What do you guys feel is a better magmod? Another 3C?

a 2C with a Badmoy Circuit? or a 2C on 3 123's with a Downboy? (I can fit 3 123's in a 2C right?)

Wildcat

Enlightened
Hey guys, you can get spare reflectors here.

http://www.clorders.com/magliteparts.htm

They are pretty cheap, about $4. They also have the Magcharger's aluminum reflector, but that is $24. That's more than the whole light costs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wonder if the Magchrager reflector will fit in a C/D cell light?

Wildcat

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, I'm going camping this weekend, and I have already drained the batteries a bit, but maybe I can get a nice flood shot on a Sand Dune. Otherwise it will have to wait till I get home. I think im going to try to sputter my spare reflector and see how it turns out...

LightScene

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice pictures and the nice write ups.

Would a Side Emitter work better in this application?

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LightScene said:
Thanks for the nice pictures and the nice write ups.

Would a Side Emitter work better in this application?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told no, but I have no idea myself.

I took the light out to the desert this last weekend and everyone was very impressed! I was told the runtime would not be all that long, but it outlasted my FL7_S that runs an xeon bulb on a huge NIMH pack...It was already about 30-40% dead by the time I brought it out, and its still damn bright even after I got back. I used this for everything at night.

How long can I expect this thing to last for? I figured I would waste through batteries pretty quick since I played with it for like 3 days, then used it in candle mode to setup my tent, let air out of my friends tires, unlead firewod, cook, work on my ATV etc...

Best toy I brought out there with me, besides the ATV of course.!! Still bright as hell too! THe flood shot might look a buit weaker by now, but the light s still better than my 3D mag with new batteries.

Bin SX1J... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif