Do I need ISO Certification?

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys, I am starting a business and my friend and I had a long conversation regarding ISO certification. He mentioned that a good foundation builds a good business, and ISO Certification is a good foundation for small businesses that want to expand their market. By introducing a quality management system like ISO to a small business, the quality of processes will increase and costs due to inefficiency will decrease. Well, I agree with him in some ways, but is it necessary for all companies whether small or large to be ISO certified or is it possible to just buy a software for quality assurance? Any thoughts?

nbp

Flashaholic
Moved to Cafe.

Also, I see you have started 7 or so threads here on business administration type topics. Just a thought, have you tried any forums catering to small business discussion vs. flashlights? You might get more input on your questions.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
We did the whole ISO thing at work. Management ineptness + ISO Certification = Management ineptness.
Total waste of time, effort, and money; just another way for outside consultants to bill you for 'services'.

"Document what you're going to do; Do it; Then document what you did."
There you go: that right there is ISO Certification, it just costs a lot less than the full version.

Edit: If I had to choose between two small businesses supplying a product, and one was ISO 9001 Certified & one wasn't;
I would choose the small business that wasn't certified, because I know they are focusing on their actual product and not on distractions such as paperwork.
It's management commitment that makes a good product; "ISO Certification" doesn't change that either way - except for the 'distractions' angle ... :(

Last edited:

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
We did the whole ISO thing at work. Management ineptness + ISO Certification = Management ineptness.
Total waste of time, effort, and money; just another way for outside consultants to bill you for 'services'.

"Document what you're going to do; Do it; Then document what you did."
There you go: that right there is ISO Certification, it just costs a lot less than the full version.

Edit: If I had to choose between two small businesses supplying a product, and one was ISO 9001 Certified & one wasn't;
I would choose the small business that wasn't certified, because I know they are focusing on their actual product and not on distractions such as paperwork.
It's management commitment that makes a good product; "ISO Certification" doesn't change that either way - except for the 'distractions' angle ... :(
Thanks for the inputs! Actually, I also heard and read good things about ISO certification including ISO 9001. But I guess, with what you are saying now, I need to turn my back out of it.

We are only operating a small business, and if this does not bring benefit to us, maybe I won't mind this "ISO" either. Thanks again!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many companies are moving toward other standards which are the same or better than ISO.
5's, Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, TPM, etc.
ISO doesn't mean anything unless you follow it continuously which most don't even understand the process.

Last edited: