Looking for 1xAA/14500 XP-L HI lights

Nord

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find 1xAA/14500 (must be compatible with both) lights with an XP-L HI emitter.

For the work I do I often need to see addresses on homes from the street or when on foot. I purchased a Thrunite TN4A HI NW, my first "real" light, and I'm hooked. That light is just unreal. It works perfect for lighting up homes from sitting in my car and that's where it stays.

Now I'm wanting another XP-L HI light that will be more suitable for carry, so I'm looking for a 1xAA/14500. I will likely use L91's a lot of the time but I want it to able to be compatible with all options.

What I'm really after is throw, and I realize that throw is more down to the depth and width of the reflector than it is the emitter, but having that great intensity of the XPL-HI really adds the punch I'm after.

In my research I've found the following 1xAA/14500 XP-L HI lights, however I have concerns with each one which eliminates most of them from contention:

Klarus Mi7

-Switch easily activated according to reviews, lockout function basically required. Don't like this.
-No clip
-Very shallow and small reflector, wide beam, not ideal for my needs.

reviewing-klarus-mi7.jpg

————

Jetbeam E10R

-Same issue with switch as Klarus
-Very shallow and small reflector, wide beam, not ideal for my needs.

1489712522552315926.jpg

————

BLF X5/Kronos X5/Astrolux SC

-Quality control issues?
-14500 only, not AA compatible? (I'm not educated enough on voltages to know)
-Do not want mechanical clicky, ruled out on this alone

5fcf95fc-497f-4c74-a9b1-315d5a4c0417.jpg

————

Eagletac D25A Ti

-It's a clicky
-Expensive
-Otherwise very nice light

d25aTi-Plain.jpg

————

Manker TO1 II -

This is the updated version of the Manker TO1, with supposedly better compatibility with a wider range of 14500's. However, I've read reports that there are quality issues with Manker and still issues with some 14500's, and they are not very responsive. This makes me hesitant. Overall, this light is the closest to what I'm looking for.

611vQBU3e9L._SX522_.jpg

Are there any other 1xAA/14500 XP-L HI lights that I'm missing?

Alternatively, are there any builds I could pursue to create the light I'm looking for?

Given that the XP-L HI gets such praise and has much interest it is very disappointing and strange that we don't see it offered as an option in more lights.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably going to be hard to find the perfect light as a single AA/14500 that has big enough reflector to do what you want it to do. The TN4A as a 4xAA definitely will have a bigger, deeper reflector. How about a compromise with something like a 18650 light? They aren't that much bigger than some of those AA/14500 lights but a lot more choice available. Most manufactures will reserve the XP-L HI for lithium ion based lights that can hit upwards of 1000 lumens. I think you'd be able to see addresses with intensities of 15,000cd or better on lights that put out 800 to 1000 lumens. That way the light is still pocketable. Just a thought. :)

AB8XL

Enlightened
The D25A Clicky can be found for much less if you get the aluminum version, Ti is expensive, illumination gear is the only place I know of that has the special LED variants. I also agree on the 18650 light, you won't find the throw your looking for in the 1AA/14500 package.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things:

First, it isn't an XP-L Hi, but the Nitecore EA11 uses an XM-L2 with a throw of about 200 yds when using a 14500.

Second: If you do decide to go to an 18650 light, look at the Nitecore P30. Thousand lumens and 700 yd throw from a single 18650, yet small enough to carry easily on a belt or a large coat pocket.

I have both, and I think either one would fit your needs.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted this in your other thread, but thought it might be of some interest here too.

Don't know if this will be of any help.

Thought I'd line up some lights as a comparison for you:
5B8C7E77-73A8-4D43-9D03-CDB87FBC80A6.jpg

714EC281-FF89-4053-B2AE-2FEFAD811CE4.jpg

Quite a size range. Some are AA, AA/14500, 14500, CR123a/RCR123 and 18650. All are pocket friendly however.

Mix of XP-L HI, XP-L and XP-G2 emitters.

Close up comparison of the Klarus, the Coast HX5, EagleTac D25LC2 and Kronos X5.
BFBC9B3E-DC27-4DE0-91D8-811BBCE79046.jpg

6F8B7F3A-06F8-4AB9-8A6B-7162E2853106.jpg

As you can see, the X5 is way bigger than the Klarus Mi7. Just a heads up.
BDAF7CEB-D0A2-4D83-9148-C0D7E3CACF7C.jpg

And some beam shots, these are with an IPhone, so not 100% accurate in terms of brightness or illumination comparisons, but gives an idea of the differences.

Comparison goes = Mi7 | HX5 | X5 | D25LC2

BFABC1EE-2F1A-4FE2-94CA-4B52377CA7E2.jpg

4E026F43-57C9-421B-B782-CA57034BC0D4.jpg

[imghttp://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q11/300bhpton/Torches/14500%20compact%20thrower%20comp/165BA3D3-CF7C-477B-90C4-E3D20CA0BE76.jpg[/img]
9DE7E020-CBA2-4B13-8FFA-DCE9145ED689.jpg

Aimed at the tree above the building:
[imghttp://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q11/300bhpton/Torches/14500%20compact%20thrower%20comp/3BD3DB23-75C4-4934-BFAA-72547168EC5A.jpg[/img]
CE23F85F-733C-4EB1-90D6-2E7A00462BB1.jpg

98D91164-3E40-47D6-BE18-EB6F3BBDDA8C.jpg

2FE720AD-DBC5-42A3-9066-D154760503E2.jpg

The X5 really kicks ***, but it's way bigger in the pocket and the least comfy to EDC. Also on high output it's down to 12-16 min runtimes!!!!!! :FACEPALM:

And ironically while out doing the test my pocket got very hot... where the Mi7 had activated in my pocket.

For the money the HX5 works really well IMO. But is singlet mode only. The Mi7 beam for it's compact size is brilliant however, just a shame on the blatant design floors on it.

Nord

Newly Enlightened
What I'm really after is throw
Then Manker T01 it is.

Do you have any experience with Manker or this light in particular? What is your opinion on this brand's quality?

Nord

Newly Enlightened
Posted this in your other thread, but thought it might be of some interest here too.

Don't know if this will be of any help.

Thought I'd line up some lights as a comparison for you:

CD,
I appreciate that visual comparison, it really helps put into perspective for me. It is a shame the Klarus has such a flawed design with the switch, it seems like it would otherwise be a great EDC

What intrigues me about those pics, besides the obviously substantial collection, is that you have a Camero in the UK! I can't imagine there are too many of that generation over there.

Nord

Newly Enlightened
The D25A Clicky can be found for much less if you get the aluminum version, Ti is expensive, illumination gear is the only place I know of that has the special LED variants. I also agree on the 18650 light, you won't find the throw your looking for in the 1AA/14500 package.

Thanks for the tip, for some reason in my research I didn't notice that the standard alloy version also was available in XP-L Hi, it was the Ti version that came back in searches.

I'm still not loving the clicky idea, and hesitant about the UI of this light given what others have said, but being that it's apparently a very well made light it is tempting to try out nonetheless.

Witterings

Enlightened
I've recently bought the Manker T01 II and for it's size it's an incredible thrower .... I'd say it almost gives an Nitecore MH20GT a good run for it's money.

I bought it as I was impressed with the E11 but wanted something with more throw and it certainly does that even compared to a de-domed E11 which I subsequently fitted and XP-L Hi and it doesn't come close.

I already had 14500 batteries that I knew would fit it .... not sure where you're based but if in the UK Totally Wicked had some Sanyo's for £1.50 each so I snapped up 1/2 Doz of them.

I did have one occasion using AA's where there wasn't much of a step up from High to Turbo but I think that was just because it was a fairly low battery and definitely don't have that issue with a 14500.

I don't have any of the others you've mentioned but do have A Jetbeam II Pro which I'd imagine has a comparable beam to the Klarus and Jetbeam you listed as they're similar size heads and whilst it's a great torch with an excellent beam pattern for everyday use giving more throw than a standard AA it doesn't come close to the T01.

The other thing to think about, you'd probably get away using the T01 on high rather than turbo for the purpose you mentioned as it has so much throw which will possibly give you better run time as the others you may find you need to use turbo a lot of the time to get similar results.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
CD,
I appreciate that visual comparison, it really helps put into perspective for me. It is a shame the Klarus has such a flawed design with the switch, it seems like it would otherwise be a great EDC

What intrigues me about those pics, besides the obviously substantial collection, is that you have a Camero in the UK! I can't imagine there are too many of that generation over there.
No probs :)

Yeah the Camaro is a bit of a rare beast in the UK. GM sold them at a few select dealerships from 1998 thru to 2002. But they are all "Euro spec", so they are still LHD, despite the UK being a RHD market and it sadly has a km/h dials rather than mph. But it's an awesome car IMO and I've owned it for well over 10 years now. I think there are only 80 - 100 or so in the entire country.

recDNA

Flashaholic
In a 1 x AA light wouldn't XP-G2 or Nichia C throw further than underpowered XP-L High?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is going to be a case where reflector depth and width are going to be as important as which emitter. Remember, the deeper the reflector, the narrower the beam/hot spot, and the wider the reflector, the less spill. A light approaching the ideal would look a lot like the Nitecore P30. Large head in both diameter and length compared to the body. Obviously an AA/14500 light won't be as large as the P30, but the proportions will be similar. Since the only 14500 light I have is the EA11, I can't mention any other since I have never really been into that size. I got the EA11 for the dual fuel capability and small size making it an ideal EDC light on my belt.

Nord

Newly Enlightened
Well after a lot of looking around, weighing the options, I've come to the conclusion that an 18650 light is really the only feasible option for a thrower that has all I'm looking for as far as quality, features, UI etc. The UI on the Manker T01 2 is just not appealing at all from what I'm reading so thats out for sure, and that is the only one in the bunch with throw.

Instead of looking for a 1xAA that will cover my needs when working and also be small enough for non-work EDC I figure I'll carry an 18650 when I'm on the job and specifically needing throw and I'll get a 1xAA for the rest of the time.

So, now I'm looking for compact 18650 light with either XP-L HI or XHP35 HI

Witterings

Enlightened

Nitecore MH20GT or Zebralight SC600 Mk III Hi .... The Nitecore is a better thrower and the ZL a better allround use / general purpose light.

Don't get what's not to like about the UI on the Manker?????

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
......Instead of looking for a 1xAA that will cover my needs when working and also be small enough for non-work EDC I figure I'll carry an 18650 when I'm on the job and specifically needing throw and I'll get a 1xAA for the rest of the time.

Good choice. It's hard to find a one size fits all flashlight. Before you know it 2 lights won't even be enough :D.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice. It's hard to find a one size fits all flashlight. Before you know it 2 lights won't even be enough :D.
Plus there is always that "Two is One, and One is None" thing running around. Never hurts to have an extra light along. Things sometimes fail for no good reason, and you don't want to get caught short without a light.

Nord

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH20GT or Zebralight SC600 Mk III Hi .... The Nitecore is a better thrower and the ZL a better allround use / general purpose light.

I was just looking at the Nitecore MH20GT, looks great. The fact you can use two CR123's in a pinch is a great bonus. I don't love the price tag, but I get that it's quality. Also looking at the Lumintop SDmini as a less expensive option, not sure the what the reputation on that one is. The Zebralight is certainly excellent and I'd love to have one, but as you said it's not as much of a thrower.

Don't get what's not to like about the UI on the Manker?????

It was my understanding that you have press and hold to turn off, I don't like that idea. But maybe I have that wrong?

Besides that, the longer I've thought about it the less it makes sense to have a 1xAA with a larger/deeper reflector, as you lose the benefit slimness/smallness of a 1xAA and at the same time you could have a 1x18650 that is not much larger in diameter than the Manker but it will have 3x the runtime.

I blame Chicken Drumstick for putting this idea in my head, which now makes the quest for one light turn into two. But really, that's the best way to meet my needs.

Nord

Newly Enlightened

Ha, ain't that the truth! I'm already on my way to 3 and I've only been here a short time.

Witterings

Enlightened
I was just looking at the Nitecore MH20GT, looks great. The fact you can use two CR123's in a pinch is a great bonus. I don't love the price tag, but I get that it's quality. Also looking at the Lumintop SDmini as a less expensive option, not sure the what the reputation on that one is. The Zebralight is certainly excellent and I'd love to have one, but as you said it's not as much of a thrower.

It was my understanding that you have press and hold to turn off, I don't like that idea. But maybe I have that wrong?

Besides that, the longer I've thought about it the less it makes sense to have a 1xAA with a larger/deeper reflector, as you lose the benefit slimness/smallness of a 1xAA and at the same time you could have a 1x18650 that is not much larger in diameter than the Manker but it will have 3x the runtime.

Certainly the 18650 gives much better run times but if I compare the size / weight of the MH20GT vs the T01 there's a lot of difference.
If you're going to have it in your hand most of the times it's not so important, but if it's going to be in your trouser pocket a lot you will notice it ... not so much in a coat pocket.

The Lumintop was the one I was comparing the MH20 to and with feedback from others decided as it was a torch I'd keep for many years the extra expense divided over time was probably worth it BUT the reviews generally on the Limintop were very good ... google the comparison there are a few threads out there .... think one of them was mine.

Personally for me the hold to switch the torch off isn't a problem, you get used to whichever you have, it's more that if you have others that are a quick press to turn on / off you get into a habit and going from one to another becomes annoying ... flip side of it ... it's also a hold to turn on if you want to use memory mode so as long as you remember you can always go back to the last level used if required which personally I use quite a bit of the time.

Let us know which one you go with but I think they're all good torches, sounds like you your choice now narrowed down to run time over pocketability and what you want to spend.