c8 op reflector

deye223

Newly Enlightened
gday all does any one have any beam shots of a c8 with a op

reflector as the spot ain't much good for around the house .

cheers D

ven

Flashaholic
OP reflectors tend to make the hot spot softer(think fuzzy around it blended into the spill). Where as SMO define the hot spot more(better for throw). I have a few kaidomain p60's, one of them is an xpl HI 4500k in an OP reflector. Its still throwy enough, but a nice beam.

For around the house, try convoys little s2+, maybe 4000-5000k . With its smaller/shallower reflector, it gives a useful kind of beam with a little throw and spill if makes sense(not as intense which bounces back in the eyes). Also mules work well for close up applications(no reflector which produces a flat wall of light close up).

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a similar thought. OP wont be much different for what you want to do with it. If you insist on using a C8 using a diffuse lens would make a bigger difference than pebbled reflector. Depending what your current emitter is, changing that out can affect it, eg a 219b vs XPL-Hi

if you want to experiment, try spray painting the reflector white, I'm super curious what that does.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will still be a thrower. Do as ven suggest. Buy something with a smaller reflector. The smaller reflector, the more floody the beam gets. The larger a reflector gets, the more focused and throwy. The manker e14 or astrolux s41 are kickass lights for around the house. Lights up the whole room, no matter witch way you point it :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a similar thought. OP wont be much different for what you want to do with it. If you insist on using a C8 using a diffuse lens would make a bigger difference than pebbled reflector. Depending what your current emitter is, changing that out can affect it, eg a 219b vs XPL-Hi

if you want to experiment, try spray painting the reflector white, I'm super curious what that does.
Spraypainting the reflector will ruin the reflector. And the out the front lumens will drop big time. Better off with a dfiffuser. Unscrew the bezel, and cut somethig semi transparant plastic to put on top of the lense. That way the reflector will still guide the light out of the light, and the diffuser will diffuse.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spraypainting the reflector will ruin the reflector. And the out the front lumens will drop big time.

You think so? The Zebralight mules and HDS flood reflectors are basically white reflectors.

Connor

Enlightened
You think so? The Zebralight mules and HDS flood reflectors are basically white reflectors.

That's because very little light from the LED actually goes towards the white "reflector", it doesn't really matter.
A (real) white reflector would have a crappy reflection coefficient compared to polished metal one .. I imagine at least 10% less.

Last edited:

deye223

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the reply's every one .

it's an XML2 T6-4C 4300-4500K

It will still be a thrower. Do as ven suggest. Buy something with a smaller reflector. The smaller reflector, the more floody the beam gets. The larger a reflector gets, the more focused and throwy. The manker e14 or astrolux s41 are kickass lights for around the house. Lights up the whole room, no matter witch way you point it :)

my L6 does that and ya need sun glass's

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are mules. The "reflector" on a mule is only some mm deep. Throwers got deep reflectors. And if you paint it white expect to loose ~ 50%. Same with zoom lights. When zoomed you loose ~ 50% because the led emits too mutch light sideways, and that light wont hit the asperic lense. A deep, painted, reflector will block most of the light that is emitted sideways. So you will end up with only the spill getting out. Spill is the light that dont hit the reflector. The rest of a lights beam is from the light that hits reflector. So if you paint the reflector, you will only get the spill.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Defuser tape will be the best bet, or remove the reflector from the light and make it a mule. Both will hit lumens out the front, but both will radically alter the beam profile.

But a torch more dedicated to what you want will be a better solution than either.

OP reflector won't make the beam profile any different really, all it does is soften the transition from spot to spill beam. But you are still going to have a bright spot light and a dull spill beam.

I have two C8's with OP reflectors one an XP-G2 and the other an XP-G3. I admit an XP-L or XM-L2 would work better with the OP reflectors, but the beam profile still won't be a flooder.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leave your C8 alone and get a different light, with a wider profile?

Right tool for the job and all of that.

My Convoy C8 XP-L HI is a pencil beam.

Chris

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy to make a diffuser. Just made one in 5 minutes to show how it works. And if you want to make the light stock again, just unscrew the bezel and throw away the diffuser.

1: find some plastic that is semi transparant. The lid of a plastic icecream box or something. i just grinded some transparant plastic from a blister pack with 800 grit paper. Put your lense on top and draw around the outer line. Cut it out with a scissors.
DSC_0273_zpslb68ciez.jpg

2: place on top of lense and put it back together.
DSC_0277_zpsmhjhpoky.jpg

Result, instant floodlight. (it's in lo mode)
DSC_0278_zpsxbc0fd7n.jpg

Cost. 0$ i just put some junk into good use. buildtime under 5 min. And if i want to make it back to a thrower. It will take me 30 sek, to get it back into stock. Well almost stock. got a direct drive driver and a neutral xp-l hi in mine :) the reflector will put all those lumen that's emitted sideways, forward. And the diffuser will spread the light evenly.

Tape also works the same way, but i dont like all the glue stuck on the lense when its time to take it off. Then you need alcohol or chemicals to get the glue off, and you might screw up the ar coating on the lense etc.

Last edited:

Thom2022

Enlightened
Just take the reflector out. All spill no spot very flat light. Costs nothing, takes 30 seconds.