can i use lake water to cook?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i use a scooter to get to campsite so i have limtewd space if i boil it is lake water safe to cook with? like for cup a noodles or mac n cheese

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered getting a LifeStraw? That'd be an easy to pack filter.

I don't think it's possible to conclusively answer your question without more info. Some spring water can be straight up drinkable. Some will have high magnesium or other things that will mess up your health.
Lake water is usually worse. Farm chemical runoff, animal/fish feces... other things I wouldn't want to be soaking into my mac noodles. With lake water you'd want to boil for 10+ minutes before using in any way, or filter, but it's a YMMV situation.
Not all lakes are created equal. Not all immune systems are the same. But more boiling does add safety, though I'd go LifeStraw or something similar myself.

Last edited:

Mchipman

Newly Enlightened
Look into the Sawyer Mini. Small compact and will give you potable water for under $20

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thank u both if i recall right i have a water filter it will be from lake lanier in north ga

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
i use a scooter to get to campsite so i have limtewd space if i boil it is lake water safe to cook with? like for cup a noodles or mac n cheese

I have drank lots of water boiled from lakes, streams, puddles..... you name it. Without knowing the lake or situation around it if the issue is biological boiling works. In fact better IMHO than just about anything else. I don't know if there is any chemical run-offs etc etc etc so can't say if it is safe. I also drink rain water run-off from my tarp all the time though do like to let it ran for some minutes first to wash the dust etc off the tarp.

There are other options.

1. Pump filter.

2. Straw filters.

3. Boiling.

Sawyer stuff and tabs.

Bottom line is treat the water and know the local situation.

Woods Walker

On a side note the Sawyer Squeeze is much much better than Mini. The Mini is now on day pack duty with Squeeze for camp/trail/zombie use.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you say the squeeze is better because it filters faster? I just read a little comparison because I've been happy with the mini.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just drink the water where i find it. Most places i go throut fishing is clean. Always way up a mountainside. Never had problems.

irongate

Enlightened
Always treat any water unsafe, don't take the chance even though it might look very clear it is not.

WW listed some good options for treating water.
Take along a coffee filter or some clean cloth to filter it first and then boil or tabs or the life straws.

markr6

Flashaholic
On a side note the Sawyer Squeeze is much much better than Mini. The Mini is now on day pack duty with Squeeze for camp/trail/zombie use.

Absolutely! I can't tell you how many times I see/hear this. The mini only saves maybe 1oz, and VERY LITTLE space. It's just not worth it IMO. I also hear a lot of stories about thru hikers tossing minis into hiker boxes or just throwing them away on major trails then switching to the shandard squeeze or another method.

Beyond the obvious slower flow rate, they are also more susceptible to clogging to a point where it's not worth using. I have a few of them, but they no longer get used.

Boiling will always get the job done, but won't do anything for chemicals. Activated carbon is what you need for that, after boiling, to finish it off.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah okay, thanks markr6. I might have to check out the squeeze sometime.

Woods Walker

Do you say the squeeze is better because it filters faster? I just read a little comparison because I've been happy with the mini.
Not only filters water faster but gets clogged less and back flushes easier. However the Mini isn't bad for what it is but it is no Squeeze IMHO. Sawyer sells a little kit that turns a Squeeze into a super Mini. On a side note don't allow any of them to freeze.

Woods Walker

The Squeeze in that photo is setup as a gravity filter but also have an inline carbon filter stage. I will show a photo of that later.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that you can dig a small hole a meter or so from the water, wait for the hole to fill with water, bail it out will the water is clear.

John.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Woods Walker.

I took my mini camping once when it was below freezing and I think I let it get too cold. Not sure how long it would take to be dangerous but I haven't used it since then and want to buy another just to make sure it will work properly. Maybe I'll get the squeeze instead of the mini then.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks Woods Walker.

I took my mini camping once when it was below freezing and I think I let it get too cold. Not sure how long it would take to be dangerous but I haven't used it since then and want to buy another just to make sure it will work properly. Maybe I'll get the squeeze instead of the mini then.

I put my sawyer in a "snack size" ziploc bag which is a perfect fit. Then I'll sleep with it just to be sure it doesn't freeze. But if it's easily getting below freezing, I usually use another method anyway (melting snow or chlorine dioxide).

BTW, the newer Squeeze has a nipple on one of the ends...output I think, so you don't need as many adapters if you're connecting hoses. It's actually hidden on the inside of the threaded end, so I'm not sure if you can check before buying. I don't remember what the packaging was like.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, good points. :) Yeah that one trip I totally forgot to put it in my sleeping bag with me.

markr6

Flashaholic
Awesome, good points. :) Yeah that one trip I totally forgot to put it in my sleeping bag with me.

Oh I forgot to mention, you may just want to throw that out to be safe. If it did freeze and the fibers burst, they won't be filtering anymore and letting all the nasties pass thru. You won't know it until a couple days later, possibly in the bathroom :(

The fibers inside are somewhat fragile, so you don't want to drop it on a hard surface either.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Yeah I haven't used it since that trip. Do you have to worry about having it out in the cold temporarily to filter water as well? For example, if I fill up a water reservoir and wanted to keep the filter inline with the hose so I can just drink out of it, is it a bad idea to do that on cold days? I assume that is a bad idea. Maybe I'll stick to using it on warmer days instead and when it's cold just bring all my own water or filter it into the reservoir so it is only out in the cold for short periods of time.