Suggestions Wanted...

Doug

Enlightened
I carry an E2 and a Photon2 with me most all of the time, but I need something inbetween ... what would you folks suggest? I guess it would have to be something I could put in my pocket, because I can not imagine having another item hanging off of me (Cell phone, E2, knife)... ideas? How are the Eterna lights? And, somneone makes a similar sized light with 10 LEDs in it, forget what it is called, spyder something?

So, any ideas? Thanks! Please include url's and or pictures, thanks
wink.gif
!

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
I carry an E2 and a Photon2 with me most all of the time, but I need something inbetween ... what would you folks suggest? I guess it would have to be something I could put in my pocket, because I can not imagine having another item hanging off of me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... there's always the Eternalight model 2 (the classic case style). This is the smallest model they make, and is about the size of a small garage door opener or an ordinary beeper without the clip.
<center>
eternam2.jpg

http://www.techass.com
</center>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would NOT, I repeat, NOT recommend the Spyder Turbo light!!!! Have a look at it at Craig's site. It is hommade by taking something out of the garbage and adding some LEDs to it.
mad.gif

The Eternalight otherwise looks good... perhaps for the breast shirt pocket... or in a cellphone holster...
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the owner of 3 Eternalights,
I have to give that mickey mouse battery compartment a huge "thumbs down" for not having spring loaded battery contacts-(like every other light
does have
frown.gif

-major aggravation!

MY

Enlightened
I give the eternalight (model 2) two thumbs up. No better smallish light with many features (although some are kindof useless) but you have to be able to live with its ergonomics (or lack of).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
As the owner of 3 Eternalights,
I have to give that mickey mouse battery compartment a huge "thumbs down" for not having spring loaded battery contacts-(like every other light
does have
frown.gif

-major aggravation!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just opened up an Ergo Marine (the yellow eternaLight) and it has springs & polarity markings inside. It was also equipped with a set of Energize E2 Photo Lithium cells, so it is ready to go over the side of your boat (and remain afloat) as soon as you open the pack.
smile.gif

I had a bit of a struggle getting the batteries in right, but the act of placing the two flashlight halves together sets things right. Compressed foam inserts on the lid help keep the batteries in place and prevent any rattling.

However, I also opened up my Classic (the one in the picture above) and some of the interior elements are hauntingly Turbospyder-esque. There are no polarity markings or true coil springs, but at least they used spring brass leaves for the contacts instead of the malleable copper weatherstripping the Turbospyder uses.
smile.gif
So it would still be superior to the Turbospyder in terms of durability and overall mechanical reliability. This model isn't waterproof, so it won't be going in the tub along with some of the others. There are instructions provided for reviving a waterlogged Classic.
The instructions (for all models of eternaLight) also warn that installing the batteries backwards will damage (or destroy) the flashlight, so for models where polarity markings are not present you should either mark the polarity inside the light yourself or watch which way the original batteries were put in when you change them.

I suspect the Rave'n has a similar interior configuration as the Classic, but it did survive a brief exposure to a rainstorm with no leaks.
However since it isn't sealed 'round with a ring, like the Classic it too must stay out of sinks, tubs and toilets if you want it to last.

I'm currently in the process of testing five models of eternaLight and some initial results should be appearing on my site within the next day or so. The existing eternaLight page will be overwritten, since all models have been improved since I last tested.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, Unfortunately for me, my Etern.Classic, the TurboSpyder, and the Rave'n have ONLY that inadequate copper strip layout that causes me to have to use xtra pieces of aluminum foil just to get decent batt.contact for a (non-blinking) output from these lights
frown.gif

P.S.-Other than that, I still like these lights a lot though..

papasan

Enlightened
i just got a cmg infinity old style green flashlight...i highly recomend this light...waterproof solid aluminum case and runs on AAs (trying to get all my gear on AAs so i don't have to carry around 5 different batery types when out and about)...the green color helps to keep your night vision (several reports i've read say it works much better than red) and is supposedly (according to telephony's sight) the brightest of the colors...

the one (small) gripe i have is the LED pattern, but in another thread they talk about lightly sanding it with toothpaste to even it out...gonna try that soon...oh, and the lanyard it comes with is almost useless, saved only by the fact that it glows in the dark...

btw, ordered it from www.brightguy.com for a very reasonable $10 + shipping, and it was in my hands two days after ordering it...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same light. I'm also very fond of the case. It's rock solid, and simply designed. The lanyard sucks, though. I replaced mine with a better one.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
I have the same light. I'm also very fond of the case. It's rock solid, and simply designed. The lanyard sucks, though. I replaced mine with a better one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm, whassa matta with the lanyard? I have both the old-style (puke-bright green with the knot in the end) and new-style (black with with GITD strip and plastic end) lanyards, and I don't see a real problem with either one. What are you looking for in a lanyard? Perhaps more to the point, what am I not looking for in a lanyard that I should be?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of the Infinity`s lanyard, is it just me or does anyone else find that the glow in the dark stripe isn`t too effective (in either type)? Probably fine if you`re suddenly plunged into total darkness but not much help as the daylight slowly fades and you`re left with ambient nighttime light- stars, light pollution (for townies like me), that sort of thing. Mine hardly show at all.
Maybe if they made them with the Extreme-Glow material instead of whatever else it is they use- they would be much more effective then.

shocked.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
On the subject of the Infinity`s lanyard, is it just me or does anyone else find that the glow in the dark stripe isn`t too effective (in either type)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't just you. I think it's more a NF (Neato Factor) or CQ (Coolness Quotient) attribute than anything else. Perhaps it's meant for clubbing (dancing, raving, or whatever it's called these days) under UV light.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second that idea on the Extreme-Glow material. But realise that it would probably increase the price point again.

As for a bright pocket light, wait for the Arc flashlight. All the test results show that it is as bright as a Photon II but lasts only about 3-5hours continous run time. I think in real world use, that's plenty of run time. Check it out in the various threads devoted to it.

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
I carry an E2 and a Photon2 with me most all of the time, but I need something inbetween ... what would you folks suggest?
Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As always, it depends on what you really want to do with it. I presume you want something brighter than the photon (e.g. something you can more easily walk around the room with) but less blinding and cheaper to run than the E2? (of which I'm jealous, by the way).

If this is for pocket carry, the Eternalight may be just too bulky. Perhaps a small AAA-powered incandescent light like the Underwater Kinetics UK2AAA? (either side-by-side model, or penlight form). The Princeton Tec Giga-Rage (it seems to have a couple other names as well) has 4 AAAs in a 2x2 configuration and is quite bright, much brighter than a 2AA minimag. About $10.

The UK 2L would at least have batteries in common with your E2, is extremely light (about 2.5 oz, compared to, I think, 4 oz for the E2), and is as bright as many 2D flashlights. Tough, compact, waterproof, and should last 4-5 hours on 2 123As. The UK 4AA has the same lamp but uses 4 AAs, trading bulk and weight for economy of runtime.

If you want real long runtime with more brightness than the photon, you could also consider the PAL light. Not as bright or as feature-laden as the Eternalight, but much more compact. Not much bigger than the 9v batt that powers it.

Most all of these have been reviewed in these forums, and at sites like Brock's.