Woohoo!!! Power outage!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, are flashaholics the only ones that get excited when the power goes out? It's 6pm here, the power just went out, it is almost dark, and I've got a desktop full of flashlights just begging to be used (ever seen a Surefire M6 beg? it ain't pretty). I'd better sign off before the power from my UPS gives out. Time to have some fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

-Keith

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well, it was short lived but fun. Not sure what the cause was, but there was at least a ten mile stretch of our road without lights, including a rather large truck stop area at a freeway exit close to us that has four gas stations (three of them truck-stops) and five restaurants.

I let my one year old son play with a flashlight for the first time. I gave him an Ultra-G on a paracord lanyard that he ran all over the darkened house with, entertaining himself, as well as my wife and I.

-Keith

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
You realise that this is probably considered odd???

Probably why my buddy, who lives 1 block away, has had about 5x as many outages on his street then we have had..

The luck of the grid. But there's compensation. I got the crappy phone lines... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

All these emergency lights and no emergency...

Yours, drs the amused..

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I live directly in the core of a large city, and the power hasn't gone out here since before I moved here in 1996.
As I understand though, this whole section of the city was in the dark for 5 days a few years earlier, when something happened to a powerline in the Denny regrade area, a few blocks northeast of here. People who need elevators and those who use electric wheelchairs that need to be charged daily (and who also need elevators) were probably SOL, but everyone else probably did OK.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being in the cold weather zone (also in Ohio), I would rather have the power outage(s) in decent temperatures.

If hot out, I can simply set up my tent (aka my house) in the yard.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were just glad it was 40° today instead of 5° like a week or two ago. Our furnace and all major appliances are electric, but we do have a vent-free gas-log fireplace in our living room (with a tank outside), so we could have closed off most of the rest of the house and lived in the living room for awhile if need be.

-Keith

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Telephony said:
I live directly in the core of a large city, and the power hasn't gone out here since before I moved here in 1996.
As I understand though, this whole section of the city was in the dark for 5 days a few years earlier, when something happened to a powerline in the Denny regrade area, a few blocks northeast of here. People who need elevators and those who use electric wheelchairs that need to be charged daily (and who also need elevators) were probably SOL, but everyone else probably did OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one Craig. Water had seeped into a power vault and the resulting steam explosion caused some major damage. Blacked out the north half of downtown Seattle (Denny Regrade) up to south Lake Union. I had recently switched jobs (from a Lake Union dealership to the northern suburbs) and was thinking to myself that my old crew was either sitting on their benches or working with hand tools and MiniMags (mechanics work even if the building's on fire). Little was I to know at the time, that I had relocated to "Black Out Central" (Lynnwood) where we would have about 4 day-long outages a year. Fourtunately (or unfortunately as the topic of this thread depicts) I have very few outages on my block. However, the rest of the neighborhood seems to have more than their fair share. Go figure. Still, that's enough reason for me to have a nice stockpile of lights and batteries around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Later.

Dan

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi Neon - if your son liked the Ultra, try him with a colored keychain light like the countycomm lights, or an Arc RGB. My son's 17 months old and when I first gave him a pair of red countycomms, he was almost shrieking with joy, dancing and waving them around and keeping my wife and me holding our sides laughing. And he's fascinated by the RGB.
Dave

yclo

Flashaholic*
I was eating with some friends at this restaurant when suddenly all the lights were off, this was at 2am. So I stalled for about 15 seconds, but just as I reached into my pocket the lights went back on...

Oh well, maybe I can use my lights another time.

-YC