Have you ever had a tactical light that is too bright?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that big step when you think of it. You need ~ 4 times the lumens to appear twice as bright.
Then you got the lux. Not certian tou get more lux with your new light, even if they got more lumen.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm moving up to Surefire 600 and 1000 lumen tactical lights from the Surefire L2X. These new lights are a big step up for me. I am going with one brightness only. Have you ever had a tactical light that is too bright? If so, where was the cutoff?

Yes they can be too bright - like inside hallways in a house, small rooms, around mirrors etc. I also find that you can have too much light when looking in tinted car windows, especially throwy lights with high lux output. There is no set cutoff because it all depends on all of the factors unique to each situation. Surefire lights with the "Intellibeam" feature address this by reducing output when too much light is reflected back to a sensor in the head of the light.

slackercruster

Newly Enlightened
Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base
Yes they can be too bright - like inside hallways in a house, small rooms, around mirrors etc. I also find that you can have too much light when looking in tinted car windows, especially throwy lights with high lux output. There is no set cutoff because it all depends on all of the factors unique to each situation. Surefire lights with the "Intellibeam" feature address this by reducing output when too much light is reflected back to a sensor in the head of the light.

Sounds like a nice feature. Have you heard of any problems when using this tech when it is used as a tactical light for self defense?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Depends on the beam imho.

My Streamlight ProTac HL4 does not self blind me indoors when light is bouncing off nearby objects like a tv screen, even on the 2200 lumen high. Yet my ProTac HL (2 cell) does and it's around 625 lumens.

I'll say this about the frosted optic on the HL4: at 2am indoors on high you're dang sure going to squint!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own a Surefire P3X Fury, but I sold it recently enough to have a clear memory of it's beam profile. At 1000 lumens, I think it produces something like 18,000 to 20,000 lux. The splash back from the hot spot can be a bit overwhelming while maneuvering in tight spaces. By contrast, the Elzetta Charlie has a similar lumen output but a wider beam profile at 12,000 lux. In my opinion, the Elzetta is better inside but the Surefire has a little more reach outside. Surefire's Intellibeam feature is clever, though, and would seem to remedy the problem of close range splash back.

If you get the Intellibeam, just remember that anyone else holding a flashlight can dial your output down to 15 lumens just by shining their light at you.

slackercruster

Newly Enlightened
Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base
I used to own a Surefire P3X Fury, but I sold it recently enough to have a clear memory of it's beam profile. At 1000 lumens, I think it produces something like 18,000 to 20,000 lux. The splash back from the hot spot can be a bit overwhelming while maneuvering in tight spaces. By contrast, the Elzetta Charlie has a similar lumen output but a wider beam profile at 12,000 lux. In my opinion, the Elzetta is better inside but the Surefire has a little more reach outside. Surefire's Intellibeam feature is clever, though, and would seem to remedy the problem of close range splash back.

If you get the Intellibeam, just remember that anyone else holding a flashlight can dial your output down to 15 lumens just by shining their light at you.

Never would have thought of the dial down issue, thanks!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a nice feature. Have you heard of any problems when using this tech when it is used as a tactical light for self defense?

I haven't heard all that much about intellibeam lights used self defense use one way or the other as it is kind of new and expensive and only offered on a few lights.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought I heard that Surefire going to change the minimum to 100 lumens to avoid the output going too low?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm moving up to Surefire 600 and 1000 lumen tactical lights from the Surefire L2X. These new lights are a big step up for me. I am going with one brightness only. Have you ever had a tactical light that is too bright? If so, where was the cutoff?

No I have not.

I don't go white wall hunting and while I understand the idea of splashback effecting your vision while doing a room clear, it really only comes into play when using weapon mounted lights that you can't redirect to avoid glare while still illuminating the room.

Grazor

Newly Enlightened
I recently switched from a Streamlight Stinger LED to a Surefire R1 for work. I have noticed the 1000 lumens from the R1 to be a bit overwhelming inside smaller spaces especially when someone has white walls. The ability to quickly dial down the light has been an important feature for me.