UV LED with RGB Phosphor

Jarhead

Banned
Okay, just got the Toyoda Gosei LED with the UV LED die
inside, that uses RGB Phopshor. Wonderful thing I noticed,
the color doesn't shift like a Nichia as you overdrive it.

Here is a shot at 20mA, and I tried like heck to find
something to image on, on the TG part, then I realized the
die is putting off UV, so there is nothing to image, but
the phosphor.

ledcomp3.jpg

Next, the part has a Color Rendering Index of 90 (CRI),
which is much higher than the Nichia/Luxeon parts.
So, I hit a box of crayons with different light sources,
sorry that some are a bit blurry, but I my hands aren't
that great at the moment. I kept the camera on the same
color source setting, so the auto-adjust wouldn't mess
things up.

One key way to compare light sources, is to pick out a specific color crayon, and then compare it under the various
light sources.

ledcomp2.jpg

FYI, they are working on a high power part, and I've seen photos of it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
What a nice LED!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Funny that you have one and I don't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Where can I get my hands on a couple of these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jarhead

Banned
Craig, I have a number of new LEDs you don't. And
you have alot of old ones that I don't. Did you get
the new High Power CREE LEDs yet?

Xrunner, they come in various packages, and I've seen photos of the high power version.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Jarhead said:
Craig, I have a number of new LEDs you don't. And
you have alot of old ones that I don't. Did you get
the new High Power CREE LEDs yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have any new Cree LEDs yet. The only new "high power" LEDs I have are those made by ISP Korea.
I have some on this page and this page.

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, nice, how does the visible brightness compare with a Nichia?

Is any appreciable UV getting out of the package?

Thanks.

TheFire

Enlightened
I'm going to need to get my hands on some of these... These would be really cool in high-power format...

Craig: it'll probably be a little while until you get the Cree ones on your page, since they're still under the NDA (wouldn't want any of your sorts of reviews yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

edit: Jarhead: What's the TG part number on these?

Jarhead

Banned
Take a look at the yellow line pointing to the odd blue crayon, look at the outdoors photo, and then compare it in all the photos. You see big differences between LEDs...

ledcomp4.jpg

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jarhead,

In the first pic, is that a 5mm package, and is the comparison done with the standard NSPW500BS? If so, the difference is absolutely remarkable!!!

Jarhead

Banned
Press releases

The LED is released in 2002:
http://www.microlamps-tg.com/html/Paper_White_Light_from_LEDs.htm

extract, "TG True White Hi? also virtually eliminates color variation when viewed at off angle as well as the "Halo" effect associated with other technologies.

Utilizing this technique also has the added benefits of facilitating the production of these devices with more consistent color coordinates as compared to a two-point bichromatic system.

Currently the Toyoda Gosei True White Hi? technology is being offered in a PLCC Type 2 SMD with 1-2 lumens/package
(20mA).

Toyoda Gosei (introduced at the CEATEC show in Japan this last October), utilizes a 1000 micron die flip-chip packaged with superior optics, thermal management in an SMD format that yields 20 lumens/package with a color rendering index of 90. These powerful lamps benefit designers and manufacturers by requiring much fewer LEDs and space.

http://www.toyoda-gosei.com/products/opto/01.html

http://www.compoundsemiconductor.net/articles/magazine/9/6/3/2

By March 2003, the company had a production capacity of 120 million chips per month, up from 85 million units per month in March 2002. Ota said that Toyoda Gosei will more than double its current capacity to 250 million units per month if the market requires such volumes. The company estimates that its LED sales for fiscal 2002 (ending March 2003) amounted to more than $200 million, compared with $120 million in fiscal 2001 and $148 million in the previous year.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
TheFire said:
Craig: it'll probably be a little while until you get the Cree ones on your page, since they're still under the NDA (wouldn't want any of your sorts of reviews yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]
Awww man, that's {vulgar term for having had intercourse} up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I've had to sign NDAs before and avoid putting things on my website for that reason, but these are LEDs for heaven sakes. :p
o well...maybe this summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks really good. Color and beam pattern are really perfect! Looks decently bright as well. This looks like the future of white LED's. Hopefully high efficiency, long lasting ones will come out and be just as good as blue/yellow tech.

Jarhead

Banned
Yes IsaacHayes, I really like the nice uniform beam on this LED. Now that I have seen it in person, my other LEDs just don't seem the same anymore.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I figured it would only be a matter of time before white LEDs using a UV or NUV die and an RGB phosphor would be introduced. I believed Nichia, Toyoda Gosei, and Cree would be in this race; obviously Toyoda Gosei won this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back in 2000, Toyoda Gosei released their so-called "TG Super Purple", an LED emitting at 385nm with 2-4mW power.
These LEDs were rumoured to be made for car air deoderizers (to function like a thing of Speed Stick armpit deoderizer hanging from the mirror), then later rumoured to be intended to be coupled with an RGB phosphor to make white LEDs.