Fenix TK47UE review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Flashlight was provided by manufacturer (product page(link is external))
It seems that previous version of TK47 was good enough, so Fenix team decided to upgrade it, which resulted in issuing pair of products: UE and regular one.
And if last one, with SMO, has a lot of rival in variety of longthrowers, UE which is OP flashlight in such form-factor of 2 serially connected batteries is unusual.
Stated characteristics are:
20170117162901_2726.jpg

PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE
TK47UE comes into nice cardboard box with handle. Perfectly designed and printed. It looks really expensive and tell that it hides a serious thing within.
ef89e9.jpg

3b55d1.jpg

7b80ba.jpg

8d5a2f.jpg

Package includes flashlight, manual, holster and lanyard and spare o-ring.
8dffcc.jpg

a222c6.jpg

Fortunately package doesn't include branded batteries, which would add a lot to price. So you can save this money for batteries that you`d like to use.

Flashlight is big, but if you have any regular longthrower, you will not be surpised at all, size is regular to this 2×18650 form-factor .
9e03e1.jpg

Knurling varies from one part of flashlight to another. Weight of matte anodized body is well balanced, center of mass is 1-2 cm closer to head from center. *Grip *is good, for palm here has reliable stop – tail light.
62e732.jpg

588253.jpg

And this tail light is the thing that visually and functionally differs TK47UE from any other light i`ve used or have red about. NW LED is hidden inside solid plastic capsule, protected at both sides with U-shaped arcs, which have hole for lanyard. Capsule, I repeat, is made perfectly – no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't manage to move or twist it at all.
e6a44b.jpg

cea6f8.jpg

8d2357.jpg

af4391.jpg

Unfortunately, for reason to prevent overcharging (i dont` see any other), Fenix engineers decided not to support flat-top batteries.
Of course, attaching 1-2 small magnet will solve make this engineers` effort useless.
e83f3f.jpg

Threads are mid-sized, rectangular and well lubricated.
18c798.jpg

I was surpised to see that there inside outed body is pressed inner one. Seems Fenix used some preforms, or whatever. I`ve got no ides why they didn`t make one-piece body.
c591cb.jpg

Both the buttons, at side and tail are made of metal and have concentrical engravings. As the rest of body they are precisely made, i`ve got no any complaint.
2d5712.jpg

What about cooling ribs, I think there is some space to make them larger.
257ca3.jpg

661ecb.jpg

*Head*is quite compact, less then L6, more similar to regular long-thrower. *Bezel *is aggressive, crown-shaped. *Reflector*is OP with perfectly centered XHP70 at buttom.
1f5f5c.jpg

5d9e8c.jpg

8eb278.jpg

What else…*holster*. Just good holster, nothing to add. )
7151c6.jpg

8ba669.jpg

So, what about appearance and build quality – everything is perfect.
Still, I have notice one functional disadvantage, no support of flat-top batteries

UI.
Isdmz4IPfkQ.jpg

What can I add to this pic…Button is convenient, finger finds it easily. For the rest – tail button for tail light, side button for primary light.
There are only one *disadvantage *that I see. I assume for some this would be advantage instead. Memory modes only works for turbo. So if you turn light off in turbo, forget about it and then turn light on in darkness, prepare to be temporaly blinded.
PERFORMANCE.
Reflector, though it is OP, has enough depth to throw a long beam, being still convenient for near-mid range distance.
fab397.png

Hm, 2-3 years ago you had to pay two times to get such brightness (as far as I remember there was only one serial flashlight that managed to be really bright and cost under 200$ – Meteor). And, of course there was an unbelievable choice of 15\25kilolumens "fires" being sold in large numbers at Ali. -))
Last year market exploded with bunch of affordable and bright lights, mostly powered with 26650 – Convoy L6 \Olight R50\Klarus G20\Acebeam E50 Gen II.
But all they are not powered with serially connected batteries, which we used to see in longthrowers. So

TK47UE stands here aside (not to mention it`s glowing callus).
And what is it capable of?

PWM shimmering,
flashlight succesfully passed pencil test in each mode, shower test show that there is hardly noticeble PWM-shimmering in ECO mode.

practically it means that everything is ok for any regular situation.

It, no surprise, has thermal stepdown. As I`m not equipped enough to make graphics and stuff, I decided to make a lot of photo and create GIF to give you a common idea of level to which brightness falls from turbo. T+2 means two minutes from start of turbo. As you can see, after slow descend brightness comes at "something brighter than high mode" level on 8th minute.
STEPDAUN.gif

Heat transfer is excellent, in takes few minutes for the whole body to gain about 50 Celsius and about 56 at head. So, it`s really uncomfortable to hold flashlight barehand in this case. Of course, after certain time temperature will decrease with brightness stepdown. What about using in high mode, here you will feel nothing. At least no warmer than temperature in room.
Here are amperage that I measured 0.022-0.088-0.3-1.055-3,64А
Besides thermal stepdown, TK47UE also* cuts off higher mode, when according to level of batteries charge*. And in case you use unprotected batteries, there is easy to avoid over discharging. Just pay attention, and when you see only ECO mode available, change batteries. I bet you , guys, know all this anyway ) I overdischarged my 18650 to 1.5A each in test situation, and it even didn`t required Xtar MC charger to make batteries alive, simple Liitokala 200 have recognized batteries this time and charged them.
Other side of using unprotected batteries is that in this case you can ruin your battery, but get all the available runtime in situation of extreme need.
Here is some footage. -
7-8m to door
koridord976e.gif

as you can see, visually 47UE doesnt really differ from L6 in turbo
vsl6.gif

Unfortunately, when I turned camera on, it happened that battery was discharged. So I had to use smartphone cam. So pics are not detailed, but, folks, you can be sure that brightness there is the same what my eyes`ve seen when I took these pics.
vs-l6.gif

dvorb58c7.gif

here distance is about 100m
1st frame is with light off, to give an idea that even eco mode can be (though not really) noticeble at this distance.
garazhi.gif

I`ve already tested some longthrowers, so may be this pic will be of some use. 175m to this wall.
e728bc.jpg

HonestIy, I was really surprised to see that even MID mode leaves a small trace of light. 300 lum + OP reflector at such distance – good performance. And in HIGH\TURBO there is a wide sidelight, which longthrowers definitely lack.
I suppose that about 200m is that effective distance, in which TK47UE over performs regular
stena76b8e.gif

What about NW taillight. 30lums is enough to illuminate tent or table, within about half meter radius you can easily read. Red light is really, really bright. Good night light for tent, in some cases it also can serve as primary light.
KVOST.gif

8950fb.jpg

Comparing to L6, TK47UE has colder and more focused light. I made sort of bounce test, pointing both lights at ceiling and measuring numbers that luxmeter shows. Numbers themselves are useless, but give good idea of relevant performance.
L6 0-4-91-214
TK47UE 0-0-17-67-200

Strange, I supposed to see way more difference in TURBO.
a511d0.png

What else, 100 lums seems to be small brightness, but in reality with this reflector it give comfortable light to use within range of 20m. Of course, that will be not that bright in matter of sidelight, but still you can be sure that you will see everything at the place you point flashlight at.

ECO mode
with it`s 20 lums seemed to be more useless mode, usually used in smaller EDC\keylight. But as with 100\300 modes, mixture of deep and OP reflector results in unexpectably good light for somewhere about 5m distance.
Turbo is alike L6`s, but last one is wider.

OVERALL

Interesting flashlight. I think that in midrange it shows best performance, still being able for short-time to serve as search-light in long distance search and tail light feature makes it good choice for camping activities. It provides more long beam than popuar single 26650 light and has the same (or more with 3500 mah batteries) runtime. Size is less than 2×18650 lights, like L2\L6 etc, so it`s ok to carry it in holster.

+ good mixture of long beam and wide sidelight in turbo
+ best performance in mid-range distance.
+ variety of modes
+ tail light feature
+ excellent built quiality
+ appearance.

- no spring at head
- no support of flat-top

It took a lot of time to review it, so if i`ve forgotten something, please let me know, i`ll add.

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you Namattaru for the good Review.

Mr. Tac Gunner,
My unit 47UE's beam tint is on the warmer side of CW.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Proceed5, I thought by looking at the oics it appeared to be a little warmer than Fenix's typically hospital cold white tint but not as warm as their neutral tints.

Swede74

Enlightened
Спасибо за очень хороший обзор!

narmattaru

Enlightened
thanx for kind words, guys.

i also agree that tint is CW, but little bit warmer that regular CW.

that about inside and outside layers of body (i`m not sure that i know an appropriate word for this, but hope you got what i`m talking `bout). this is made for tail light, a kinda of separate channel of power supply. like outer body is a conductor for primary light, inner one is for tail light. or vice versa )

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I like the beam pattern and it's interesting that the lowest output is 20 lumen.

colight

Enlightened
that about inside and outside layers of body (i`m not sure that i know an appropriate word for this, but hope you got what i`m talking `bout). this is made for tail light, a kinda of separate channel of power supply. like outer body is a conductor for primary light, inner one is for tail light. or vice versa )

Narmattaru, thank you very much for this great review, and you must be right about the dual layer body, as Fenix called it in their Youtube video of the regular TK47. The two layers supply power for the front and tail lights respectively, although I don't know which layer supplies which light. Both lights can be used separately and simultaneously, as you may have found out.

Something else - I think your product may be faulty, because afaik, and also according to the manual, the memory function should work in all modes, not only Turbo. I could have misunderstood you, but maybe you should contact Fenix about this .....

This may be my next buy!

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this light. However, I've been reticent to buy a Chinese made light because of past experiences with quality control (although those issues were not with a Fenix). Can someone tell me about the warranty? If my light fails, do I have to send it back to China? Or do they have an office here in the States for U.S. customers?

proceed5

Enlightened
I really like this light. However, I've been reticent to buy a Chinese made light because of past experiences with quality control (although those issues were not with a Fenix). Can someone tell me about the warranty? If my light fails, do I have to send it back to China? Or do they have an office here in the States for U.S. customers?

Hi modernflame,
Here's the link to Fenix Store (USA) warranty claims page:https://www.fenix-store.com/warranty-info/#Two

proceed5

Enlightened
... Something else - I think your product may be faulty, because afaik, and also according to the manual, the memory function should work in all modes, not only Turbo. I could have misunderstood you, but maybe you should contact Fenix about this .....

This may be my next buy!

hi there colight,
The tail light of the 47 and 47UE do not have mode memory.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi modernflame,
Here's the link to Fenix Store (USA) warranty claims page:https://www.fenix-store.com/warranty-info/#Two

Thanks! That's helpful. If you are experienced with Fenix lights, I'd value your input on their reliability. Have you ever had to use the warranty? Ever experienced a failure? Ever inadvertently dropped a fenix light on a hard surface?

colight

Enlightened
hi there colight,
The tail light of the 47 and 47UE do not have mode memory.

Hi proceed. My mistake - I definitely misunderstood narmattaru then. I didn't know he meant the tail light, so I thank you for clearing this up. :eek:

proceed5

Enlightened
Thanks! That's helpful. If you are experienced with Fenix lights, I'd value your input on their reliability. Have you ever had to use the warranty? Ever experienced a failure? Ever inadvertently dropped a fenix light on a hard surface?
hi Modernflame,
I use my flashlights everynight. So far, every Fenix flashlight that I own, that I am using are very reliable. No issues so far so good. You see, I seldom buy online and I choose and then buy my flashlights from one flashlights distributor.
Yes, I have dropped my flashlights on tar roads several times and I have dropped my Fenix RC11 from a tree while i was climbing it and apart from a few small scratches everything is well and fine.
(i mean, do not expect things to stay perfectly like new when it is our mistake for dropping things, correct ?)

Iamnoone

Newly Enlightened
Hi I have a question for you. When u shut off this light & look into it is the light completely out? I bought this same light & when I shut it off & look into it 3of the 4 LEDs are still on very dimly n fade out after about 3 seconds. The LEDs don't project light but if u look into it in dark room u can see that 3 of them still have energy. I called fenix & they sent me a new light but the new 1 does the same thing. Did I get a bad batch never saw this before all my other led lights go out instantly. But this is the only 1 I have that has 4 LEDs in it. Is this normal does yours do this? Thank u for any help!

colight

Enlightened
Hi I have a question for you. When u shut off this light & look into it is the light completely out? I bought this same light & when I shut it off & look into it 3of the 4 LEDs are still on very dimly n fade out after about 3 seconds. The LEDs don't project light but if u look into it in dark room u can see that 3 of them still have energy. I called fenix & they sent me a new light but the new 1 does the same thing. Did I get a bad batch never saw this before all my other led lights go out instantly. But this is the only 1 I have that has 4 LEDs in it. Is this normal does yours do this? Thank u for any help!

Hi. I think this may be normal, because I have the same thing with one of mine. I have a few lights from Fenix, and I cannot remember which one it was where I saw the exact same thing happening. I thought nothing more of it until now that you mentioned it. Let's hear from other owners as well?

proceed5

Enlightened

Hi. I think this may be normal, because I have the same thing with one of mine. I have a few lights from Fenix, and I cannot remember which one it was where I saw the exact same thing happening. I thought nothing more of it until now that you mentioned it. Let's hear from other owners as well?

Hi there Colight and Iamnoone,
Haha, I thought both my TK47 and TK47UE are the only ones having the "diming-fade-out" syndrome.
After hearing from the both of you, it looks like this may be a normal thing.
My TK47 is very obvious, after switching Off the LED would stay lit at a very dim level and slowly fades out.
I am no electronics engineer, but I think this may be due to capacitors built in to the circuitry.
Anyway, this do not really bother me, afterall the light will switch off, so it is fine.
Cheers

Iamnoone

Newly Enlightened
Thank you colight & proceed 5 I feeling a lil be better now. Do yours dim out all at the same time ? On mine 1 of the 4 LEDs will be completely out then the other 3 vary from dim mid and brighter. I hope this is normal.