Skilhunt H03 short review + outdoor video & beamshots

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
Skilhunt H03, neutral white option with TIR optic (very floody)

I bought it to replace my Skilhunt H02. The H03 is superior in a number of aspects:

+ More compact and much lighter, way better for jogging now.

+ More Modes. Offers a secondary mode within every main brightness level, i.e. if you are in low mode you may toggle a ultra low mode with just a double click. Next double click brings you back to regular low. The UI is actually very efficient but needs a little practice.

+ Way better heat sinking: gets warmer quicker but does never get as hot as the H02 on turbo. That might have to do with the active temperature control but the H03 is definitley better in getting rid of the heat - despite the smaller body!

+ Features a beacon mode now (red blinking LED underneath the switch)

+ It is a little bit brighter but if you buy it for reasons of morw brightness compared to the H02 you will be disappointed

The H03 has a very high quality feel, rated IPX 8 and with decent drop resistance. It takes every 18650 I have (springs on + and - side) and 2x CR123A for emergency use as well. Package says 1200 LED-lumens, reality shows about 900 lumens in real-life with a good 18650 cell. I love the TIR lens (very floody beam) and the excellent colour rendition of the neutral white LED which really make it a lamp for the outdoors. The range is limited but still enough to move quickly through difficult terrain. It features clever details like a lanyardhole, a magnetic base and a clip to EDC it.

For me it is the perfect headlamp. Only thing I would wish for is a red LED for some purposes.

My little YT-video showing some beamshots as well:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, Mark, I didn't see it until now, but it looks like that review was your first post on CPF. Welcome to the forum. I'll look forward to seeing more of your reviews in the future.

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for your encouraging responses. I use CPF since many years as source and wanted to contribute my self now. Also I have grown a flashlight collection in the meantime that borders on the irrational although I can justify every single light of course ;-)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up purchasing this headlamp, and I'll admit, the fit and finish out of the box is fantastic, even down to the perfect amount of lube on the threads and O-ring. I also like the magnet in the tailcap and the springs at each end of the battery tube. Nice touches.

Of course I'm probably biased, but I don't find the UI to be nearly as nice as the Zebralights I own, with the hardest part remembering that I need to click and hold to turn it off, because if you simply click, it goes to the next higher level...... but hey, it's got four main levels, and each level allows you to change between two brightness options, for a total of eight brightness options + quick access to strobe and turbo from off, and even a locator beacon and electronic lockout, and while the lowest low doesn't even come close to what ZL can do, it's plenty low for most applications.

Of course, as with EVERY LED light I've ever purchased, it arrived with a NW emitter that looked green/yellow to me..... arrrgh. Oh well, my handy dandy filter kit comes to the rescue once more, and after adding a magenta filter to the front glass cover (with double sided sticky tape), it's darn near a perfect white tint now. Yipppeeee.

By the way, the head band is quite comfortable. Once it's setup, it's easy to adjust, comfortable to wear, and no bouncing around. All-in-all, I'd say this light has turned out to be a real winner, and will be perfect for my use as an emergency light in the car.

Last edited: