Backpack Hot tenting. Floating on the snow.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Backpack Hot tenting. Floating on the snow.

A few weeks ago had my last shot till next year at hot tenting in the snow. Well anything is possible but now it seems the last of the snow is hidden in dark shadows of the woods and parking lot piles. Once before this year I thought the snow was finished so who knows. In any case it was a good opperrtunity to practice the methodologies for camping on the snow which differ from digging in. So lets go!

I wanted to try out a different spot than my usual when in this area for a tipi camp. It can be hard to find flat ground in the hills.

Sometimes when the spot isn't totally flat you can level it with snow. A snowshoe makes for a marginal snow shovel but works.

I also used the snow shoes to stomp down the snow which then would harden so I could float my camp on top. Like baking a cake yea gotta wait. Takes 30 to 45 minutes to set.

Then I remembered seeing something.

My potential campsite was in easy and obvious striking range. I had to move. This was a bummer as had an hour invested in the spot but the risk was too great.

So off I went to my old spot. Did the circular snow stomp again.

We have a flat spot with marginal tree risk, water and even the top of a fallen tree for wood.

As the snow set I went right for the wood. No point in just sitting around for the required time. Also moving keeps me warmer.

First outing with the Mora hatchet. It was given to me by Prepper Claus cuz I did everything right this year.

And the Sawvivor an old favorite.

The Mora split and even chopped ok. I was surprised at it's performance for such a UL tool with a thinner profile. Split the fuel on top of the snow using wood for support.

Some light snow moved in so decided to setup the tent as the base had enough time to set.

DIY snow pegs and a Kifaru platform. This is how I would float the tent on the snow.

DIY snow pegs.

Tent up.

Stove and center pole floating on the snow.

Liner for condensation and drafts though neither were an issue during this outing. The double wall really increases the warmth and overall comfort of the shelter though often don't use it.

Inner dead air space between the liner and canopy.

Sleeping bag against the dry liner. It actually feels warm once the stove starts running.

Sometimes I will use the ground pad as a sled to move the wood into the shelter.

The wood like everything else was floated on the snow base. Used a similar two stick support just like with a twig fire methodology.

Little camping fire kit.

We got fire!

DIY pea soup.

Drying my clothes.

Short Exped Downmat 7XS and long/wide Ridgerest. A good combo. Insulation from the ground or in this case snow is just as important as the sleeping bag.

I like to stuff the stove before turning in. Almost never had a cold night when getting into the bag warm.

Up the next day!

A shelter with two doors has some pros.

Time to get some more wood.

The tree fell across the river so been harvesting the very top. It burned great and believe it might be Black Birch however could be wrong. If anyone has another idea as to the type let me know.

The pitch still looks good. Sometimes if there is rain or snow it can loosen up over night but no issues this time.

Bacon!

My bacon cutter.

Airing out the shelter. I like to peg the doors back when removing the stove. There was enough coals inside to ignite in the morning without the need for a light. That's rare but there was surely enough to melt the doors just after cooking bacon so best take no chances.

Drying out my kit in the sun as the stove burns down.

My transportation.

All packed up!

Here are some videos of the outing with methodologies explained. Thanks for looking!

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow another great journey and pics. Love them all. I've always wondered how the mora axe would hold up. I have a few of their knives. Great stuff here as always Mr Walker.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff! Great commentary, great pictures, and interesting setup. Thank you very much for sharing. It felt like I was there reading about your adventure. :) That is a really cool setup.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff! Great commentary, great pictures, and interesting setup. Thank you very much for sharing. It felt like I was there reading about your adventure. :) That is a really cool setup.
I totally agree here. I just imagine myself being there having fun ..[emoji106]

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really interesting to learn the floating method, I had always thought to clear the snow away.

Thanks for sharing!