PM6 and McModule??

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the McModule mentioned often, but I don't have a clue as to what it is, and what it does that standard lamp modules don't do.
I know that there is a list of modules here in another thread, but I don't know enough to understand what I am seeing.

I have two PM6s. One is the older model which uses the old lamp, and one is new which requires the new module I think.

I have not been able to learn if the modules are interchangeable between the two models.

I a thinking that if the new one blows a lamp the McModule might be the way to go, but I don't know if it is LED or incan. and how bright it is compared to the PM6 incan and the PM6-LED.

I see that the McModule costs $21.00 McModule

So can anyone explain the advantage of the McModule over the stock lamps in the incand and LED PM6/

Thanks,
Jerry

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - here's a real basic description.
The McModule uses an LED - can be a 1-watter or a 5-watter. A variety of different regulation levels can be attached to the McModule unit - a Downboy 400, a Downboy 750, etc. The Downboy's number tells you how much power's being fed to the LED, with a higher number meaning the LED's going to be putting out a brighter light with a shorter battery life.
I have had a McModule with a 5-watt LED/Downboy 750 and another with a 1-watt LED/Downboy 400.
The 5-watter kicked out a wall of light that would extend a good 40-50 yards or so (guesstimate), and I never tested out the battery life on that. The 1-watter puts out in the ballpark brightness of what a very nice Arc LSH would do, perhaps a bit brighter, but it throws farther and will get 4 hours of battery life.
That price you're seeing for a McModule is the chunk of metal itself, without a Downboy, and without the LED...a fully assembled McModule will run you something more like $70-$100+ dollars, depending on the setup, who did it, who needs cash on B/S/T.
I'm pretty sure any McModule would work interchangeably on either of your PM6s.
As to advantages over the stock incan lamp...well, the light will be whiter...in certain configurations, you'll get pretty decent throw and 4 hours of battery life...or in others, a pretty intense wall of light.
All in all, I think the McModule's a really great option for what's a really nice, moderately-priced host that's a great little light in its own right.
Dave

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,
Thanks for the excellent response.
I had thought that the 21 bucks seemed too low.

Have a good day.
Jerry