Anyone want to talk me out of a Thrunite Mini TN30?

meursault33

Newly Enlightened
About to pull the trigger on my first "real" flashlight. I need to be able to spot small animals (raccoons) or effectively light up an uninvited human out to 60-75m (back fence), but also like the idea of plenty of spill to light up the yard in between. For that moderate distance, a flood seems appropriate. Have been doing a lot of research on the forums and only other temptation is something like the Acebeam K40M, but not sure that would give me enough beam width to cover the yard. I'm trying to stay around the $150 mark while getting the most bang for the buck.

Thanks to the mods and members for the excellent information in this forum!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want the girth of a soda can light? I still encourage you to look at the R50 and R50 pro again.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeing it. It I don't know if it will offer anything over an M43

meursault33

Newly Enlightened
A dozen emitters? That's a whole different animal from what I've been researching. Will definitely check it out. Thx

DMS1970

Enlightened
For the distances you're talking about, most light would suit your needs. ZL Sc600, Olight R50 (pro or seeker), manker mk34, etc. For your budget, you could get 2 convoy L6, 2 chargers and a bunch of 26650 batteries. It's a thrower, but 3800 lumens give a large hotspot.

I dont have any experience with the TN30, but the UI mimics zebralight and Olight. No long press for off, and you can shortcut to firefly (long press) or turbo (double click) from off. Sounds like a winner.

The M43, I've had 2 and can definitely NOT reccomend one unless you really want one badly. I found the user interface to be the opposite of intuitive. I had the Vihn modified version and battery life sucked.

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest you could save a LOT of money and get one of these Stanley/Black & Decker spotlights.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR1TP2A/?tag=cpf0b6-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OU67Z80/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The first one is the one I have. ~750 lumens and a VERY tight spot (rated at something like 630m beam distance). Internally it runs on a pair of 18650 cells. The regulation is basically flat for 1 hour on high. For ~$35 it's hard to beat.

The second one is an update to the basic light. The power level is now controlled by the trigger vs a poorly located button on the back of the unit. You pay ~$10 for that ergonomic improvement. I haven't used the TN-30 so it might be better but it seems for this limited roll a cheaper light might work just as well.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked at the tn30 myself but I am not a fan of lights which use a battery carrier so therefore I steer away. I have two lights which use battery carriers and both of them suffer from contact issues if the light is bumped as well as the carriers themselves just don't feel very solid. I like a light with internal battery slots. A carrier is another point of possible failure and it is another item to make sure stays clean and undamaged during battery changes.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the tn30 to be compact & perfect for long run times without the heat issues. If I need the extra brightness I use the tn36 but the throw & tint on the tn30 make it my go to light for most of my duties.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want the girth of a soda can light? I still encourage you to look at the R50 and R50 pro again.

I have the original r50 modified and it is super light. Meaning not heavy. As well as being a superb light.

Last edited: