Light Review: FOURSEVENS Quark Click QK2A-X (2xAA)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
00%20Quark%20Click%20feature%20P1240113.jpg

The original Quark models from FOURSEVENS redefined what a light could be, but with redesign forced upon them, FOURSEVENS had to re-imagine the Quark, and the Quark Click was born. This review is of the QK2A-X model (2AA)

05%20Quark%20Click%20engraving%20P1240116.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a more detailed look:

FOURSEVENS packaging presents the Quark Click so you can get an all round view.
01%20Quark%20Click%20boxed%20P1240094.jpg

Supplied with the QK2A-X is a holster, hand-grip, lanyard, spare O-rings and 2x AA Alkaline cells.
02%20Quark%20Click%20unboxed%20P1240099.jpg

If you already know the Quark holsters, this is the same as all the others I have. The front/back are semi rigid with elasticated sides.
03%20Quark%20Click%20holstered%20P1240107.jpg

On the back is a D-loop and fixed webbing loop.
04%20Quark%20Click%20holstered%20P1240110.jpg

The Quark range have removable steel pocket clips.
06%20Quark%20Click%20clip%20P1240122.jpg

As standard, the Quark Click comes with the 'Tactical' forward-clicky switch.
07%20Quark%20Click%20rear%20P1240125.jpg

Being a 'Tactical' switch the button protrudes for easy access, so no tail-standing for this one.
08%20Quark%20Click%20button%20P1240128.jpg

The FOURSEVENS logo is laser engraved on the head.
09%20Quark%20Click%20engraving%20logo%20P1240129.jpg

At the base of the compact textured reflector is a XM-L2 LED.
10%20Quark%20Click%20reflector%20P1240138.jpg

Thanks to the design including a location guide surrounding the LED, the LED is very well aligned with the reflector.
12%20Quark%20Click%20LED%20P1240135.jpg

Taking the head off, and you can see the contacts inside it. These include physical reverse polarity protection.
11%20Quark%20Click%20contacts%20P1240141.jpg

The threads are square and bare metal. They arrive well lubricated.
13%20Quark%20Click%20threads%20P1240146.jpg

Inside the tailcap is a strong spring contact for the negative connection. Due to the use of bare metal threads, the Quark Click cannot be locked-out by unscrewing the tail-cap slightly - instead you must unscrew the head of the Quark Click half a turn.
14%20Quark%20Click%20tail%20contacts%20P1240150.jpg

And here we have one of the Quarks' historical features, its lego-ability (change the head, or battery tube, or switch). In this case, simply use a 1xAA long battery tube and this Quark can now use 1xAA or 1x14500 as well as the original 2xAA.
15%20Quark%20Click%201AA%20P1240154.jpg

So this is the Quark Click QK2A-X next to 2xAA cells for size reference.
16%20Quark%20Click%20size%202AA%20P1240161.jpg

The same head and switch now on a 1xAA battery tube next to1xAA for size reference.
17%20Quark%20Click%20size%201AA%20P1240162.jpg

Another feature of FOURSEVENS lights is the inclusion of the hand-grip. Not frequently talked about, this is a very useful accessory. Here it is fitted to the QK2A-X.
18%20Quark%20Click%20strap%20P1240168.jpg

Slipping the hand-grip over your fingers positions the Quark like this.
19%20Quark%20Click%20strap%20in%20hand%20P1240176.jpg

You position the hand-grip to wherever it is most comfortable for you. This is where I like it, not quite onto my knuckles.
20%20Quark%20Click%20strap%20in%20hand%20P1240174.jpg

No need to hold onto the light as the hand-grip does this for you. You hand is free for other tasks (as long as they fit in with keeping the light where you need it).
21%20Quark%20Click%20strap%20in%20hand%20P1240171.jpg

The beam

Please be careful not to judge tint based on images you see on a computer screen. Unless properly calibrated, the screen itself will change the perceived tint.

The indoor beamshot is intended to give an idea of the beam shape/quality rather than tint. All beamshots are taken using daylight white balance. The woodwork (stairs and skirting) are painted Farrow & Ball "Off-White", and the walls are a light sandy colour called 'String' again by Farrow & Ball. I don't actually have a 'white wall' in the house to use for this, and the wife won't have one!

I've always like the Quark beam profile, and the latest Quark Click doesn't disappoint. Good wide spill, and a hotspot giving good reach make this a great all rounder. If you study the beam close-up on a white wall, it can seem a bit unrefined, but step back and the beam is well diffused and very nice to use.
22%20Quark%20Click%20indoor%20P1240746.jpg

Outdoors and the ultimate brightness...
For the full set of beam-shots, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews , but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

Modes and User Interface:

In its default configuration the Quark Click has two output modes Low and Max, but the model on test has been reprogrammed to include Moon, Low, Mid and Max/Burst (this customisation was requested as it is offered by FOURSEVENS as standard customisation).

For the default configuration (according to the manual):
To turn ON, either half-press the switch, or fully press it so it clicks.
To toggle between output modes turn the light ON, OFF, then ON again.
The last used mode is memorised if the Quark remains OFF for at least 5 seconds and is used next time you turn it ON.
To turn OFF, release the switch (if half-pressing it), or press it so it clicks and release.

For the customised Quark Click with Moon, Low, Mid, and Max:
To turn on, either half-press the switch, or fully press it so it clicks.
To toggle between output modes turn the light ON, OFF, then ON again - However, you have to cycle through Max, Low three to four times to access the additional modes, so Max, Low, Max, Low, Max, Low, Max, Moon, Low, Mid, Max, Moon......
Now we have another deviation from the standard interface when it comes to memory.
When using the Quark Click in the Max, Low mode selection (before reaching the additional modes) it does not memorise Low, it always starts on Max.
Only if you have selected a mode from the additional mode selection (Moon, Low, Mid, Max) is it memorised. Also it is only memorised if the Quark has been ON that mode for 5s and remains OFF for at least 5 seconds. Then once memorised, as long as there is not a full ON/OFF/ON cycle within 5s, it will remain on that mode.
If you memorise Max mode, the Quark Click returns to the Low/Max mode, and always gives you Max until you carry out the memorisation steps described above.
To turn OFF, release the switch (if half-pressing it), or press it so it clicks and release.

Batteries and output:

The Quark Click QK2A-X in its default configuration runs on 2x AA (Lithium, Alkaline or NiMh). With the additional 1xAA battery tube it will run on 1xAA (Lithium, Alkaline or NiMh) or 1x 14500.

To measure actual output, I built an integrating sphere. See here for more detail. The sensor registers visible light only (so Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet will not be measured).

Please note, all quoted lumen figures are from a DIY integrating sphere, and according to ANSI standards. Although every effort is made to give as accurate a result as possible, they should be taken as an estimate only. The results can be used to compare outputs in this review and others I have published.

For Detailed output measurements, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews , but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

* Beacon and Strobe output measurements are only estimates as the brief flashes make it difficult to capture the actual output value.

Peak Beam intensity measured 2500 lx @1m giving a beam range of 100 m.

There is no parasitic drain.

In this runtime graph are the output traces from using 2xAA Eneloop, and an AW protected 14500. Running the QK2A-X head on 3V or 4.2V....
For the runtime graph, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews , but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

Troubleshooting

This section is included to mention any minor niggles I come across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

No issues were encountered during testing.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The Quark Click QK2A-X in use

Anyone following my reviews will know that I consider the 2xAA form-factor one of the best. The QK2A-X has a slim battery tube with slightly larger head and tail-cap. making it very secure in the hand.

Even if you don't really use pocket clips, it provides a very useful anti-roll function, so I'd rather leave it in place. As pocket clips go, it also has a generous capacity so is easy to use on thicker pocket edges like on some heavy cargo-pants.

With this one being a customised version, I was scratching my head a little when it wouldn't memorise the low mode, but as explained in the UI section, you need to get to the additional modes before the memory function kicks in. It can seem a little fiddly as to memorise Moon mode you need to turn the Quark Click on and off 5 or 6 times watching the output to catch the Moon mode (miss it and you have to turn it on and off a further 4 times to get back to Moon). It works, but is not the slickest interface.

In most lights, lock-out is provided by undoing the tail-cap half a turn. It is slightly counter intuitive that the Quark uses the head to lock-out the Quark Click, but then again, this also means you can leave the tail-cap clicked on and then use the head to give you a twisty interface. Great for silent use, and twisting the head is very intuitive. Suddenly I'm liking that design feature much more.

With the interface being an ON/OFF/ON to switch modes, you can't really use the momentary action for signaling. I've always preferred the immediacy of the forward-clicky tail-cap switch, so definitely prefer this to a reverse-clicky.

A little comment about the available levels and the Burst mode - Effectively, you have a combined Burst/High output as a single mode. After the initial 30s of Burst, the output drops to a very useful 150lm which is then maintained. Unfortunately it is not possible to directly enter the 150lm mode as it is always proceeded by the 300lm burst mode. When you look at the ANSI output levels this leaves a 'hole' in the available output levels as you have 296lm, then down to 26lm, then 3lm then Moon. Really that 150lm level is needed to fill the hole, and it is there, but you have to get through burst mode first.

Having Moon mode memorised, you will notice the FOURSEVENS pre-flash is present for this mode. This is a very quick flash of a level slightly brighter than Moon mode before it settles into the constant output. It has never caused me a problem and is more a characteristic than anything wrong. With the Moon mode being a true Current Controlled output it is far preferable to some PWM control of this level.

PWM - well I might have just mentioned it, but I'm happy to say there is none present in the Quark Click. None of the modes available in this sample exhibited PWM at any frequency.

A classic, game-changing, lego-able design, rebooted with a simple interface and one that can be operated as a clicky or a twisty.

Review Summary

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Things I likeWhat doesn't work so well for me
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Excellent All-Rounder beam.Mode memorisation a little laborious in this customised Quark.
Current Controlled output (no PWM).Tail-standing not possible with standard tail-cap.
Lego-able design compatible with all previous Quark models.150lm output only available after 30s by first using the Burst Mode.
Optional AA and CR123 battery tubes.
Spacious/removable pocket clip provides anti-roll.
Wide input voltage range 0.9-4.2v.
Can be used as a Twisty or Clicky.

00%20Quark%20Click%20feature%20P1240113.jpg

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Subwoofer! As always, well documented with loads of great pictures! :)

I'm not surprised that Foursevens has changed the Quark Click UI again... but I am surprised at what they changed it to be! I think this is the 3rd or 4th version of the Quark Click UI, and frankly it sounds like Foursevens still haven't gotten it right. :shakehead At first they offered all modes in any custom order if you paid the $10 programming fee, then they took away High mode as an option, then they took away programming as an option (Low and Max only) while they focused on the Smart lights. Now it seems like the programming option is back (again without an option for High mode?), but with the restriction that the user has to cycle through the default modes multiple times first before getting to the "optional" modes that the user wanted enough to request. I'm having trouble understanding how that's a useful arrangement for any user.

I have a Quark Click (QK2A) that I got around 1.5 years ago that I managed to get them to program to the right order (Moon, Low, Mid, High, Max) after a lot of correspondence, and in the end it is my favorite Quark. :twothumbs Then they stopped offering programming, etc., as above. After that correspondence, I was under the impression that Foursevens was going to update the Quark Click UI to be like the new Preon UI, wherein the user selects one of 5 or 6 preset configurations, but I guess that plan changed. I do wish they'd figure it out... I'm a Foursevens fan and would like to see them have a home-run product. I'm just afraid that this one isn't it.

Echefanthony

Newly Enlightened
Great detailed review, there isn't alot of info on this light online. I have a thrunite archer 2a v3 nw and was looking to pick up another 2xaa light and the simplicity of this one really seams nice. I really like the nw tint for outdoors so I hope this isn't a bluish color led since it doesn't say anywhere what temp tint it has.

SKV89

Enlightened
Bought these from the Kickstarter. Tested them with the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights and Sekonic C-800-U.

4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2ABurst480 lumens5359K0.0007 DUV83.4 CRI21.5 R963.0 R1281 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AH266 lumens5253K0.0015 DUV83.6 CRI21.2 R961.8 R1281 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AM71 lumens5073K0.0027 DUV83.7 CRI20.0 R960.4 R1282 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK2AL (hidden mode)24 lumens4980K0.0033 DUV84.0 CRI21.5 R955.0 R1282 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LBurst635 lumens5370K0.0007 DUV85.3 CRI27.0 R965.4 R1283 Rf98 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LH367 lumens5268K0.0017 DUV84.9 CRI25.8 R963.9 R1283 Rf97 Rgincluded battery
4Sevens Quark MKIII QK16LM87 lumens5115K0.0027 DUV85.5 CRI26.8 R961.7 R1283 Rf96 Rgincluded battery

The QK2A has a 24 lumen mode that I somehow landed on but is not easily repeatable. Maybe just an unintentional easter egg in the driver.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, nothing at all interesting about Quarks any more. They used to be my favourite light, but they got so much wrong going away from the original format. And they are being left for dead by other manufacturers offering more for less.

hatman

Enlightened
The new tail clicky Quark with the 16650 battery is my new favorite light for dog walking
It's light and easy to hold in your hand or pocket carry.
Excellent clip.

And it has the nicest emitter I know of -- the new Nichia 319A.
Beam is just gorgeous and a nice blend of flood and throw.
It's the Quark MKIII QK16L.
Price is $70.
Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Yeah, nothing at all interesting about Quarks any more. They used to be my favourite light, but they got so much wrong going away from the original format. And they are being left for dead by other manufacturers offering more for less.

NOPE! The new Quarks being offered by Jason are great lights. I'm happy with both of them.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's several years since I bought a 4sevens light. But the new Quark MKIII models are VERY attractive. I want one of each(2AA and 16650)! :popcorn: