2xAA - less popular as time has gone by?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seem to be fewer and fewer 2xaa lights

With modern LEDs, 1xaa seems to suit everyone's needs - anyone still like 2xaa? Nice to only need one battery to power a light

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an on and off love affair with 2AA lights. Ld22, LD22 2017, and Malkoff MDC 2-AA. Great feel in the hand. Really since I don't ever carry a single AA anymore a 2-AA light and my AAA lights really would be all I need. 2-AA for around the house or camping or whatever, and the AAA if I had to throw something in a pocket. Truth be told I've been looking at the Malkoff site weekly to see when his MDC 2-AA would be back in stock but no luck so far.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of the 2xAA platform - good fit in the hand, hard to lose in a pocket, and almost always outperforms the 1xAA models if just on run time alone.

I have a Fenix E21, Fenix E20 (2015 edition), a couple of Surefire E2L-AAs, the Malkoff MDC 2-AA, and a couple of discontinued EagleTac lights I got on clearance.

It's funny that you mention the 1xAA platform - I don't recall seeing a lot of 1xAA options out there anymore. A number of manufacturers seem to be migrating to the 1xAAA model for single cell lights.

Zak

Enlightened
I think the combination of 1xAA lights being able to deliver decent performance these days and 18650 being able to deliver a lot more energy in a similar-size form factor is squeezing 2xAA out. I'm having trouble thinking of a reason I'd want to use it.

Wicho

Enlightened
I love my 2AA lights. Pelican 2360, 2370, Protac 2AA, O Light S2A. And incandescent minimags (which I still use routinely).

My EDC is a Maratac copper 1aaa or a protac 1L-1AA though.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the combination of 1xAA lights being able to deliver decent performance these days and 18650 being able to deliver a lot more energy in a similar-size form factor is squeezing 2xAA out. I'm having trouble thinking of a reason I'd want to use it.

18650s are harder to come by in a pinch, whereas AA primaries can be found all over the place? I like the idea of being able to buy a brick of AAs and be reasonably prepared for any substantial power outage - provided, of course, the light itself doesn't fail.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I love my 2AA lights. Pelican 2360, 2370, Protac 2AA, O Light S2A. And incandescent minimags (which I still use routinely).

My EDC is a Maratac copper 1aaa or a protac 1L-1AA though.

I'm on the fence with the 2360. I love the 2350 but figure that little extra length will cause more positive vibes for carrying in potentially tactical scenarios. Plus I like the idea of their half press battery status flashes.

I really like the 2350. Amazing little light, but it just seems a wee bit too short compared to a 2 cell 6 volt light.

Would you buy another one if you lost yours?

Good thread GB.

Wicho

Enlightened
Well, I bought four 2360's, gave two away for Christmas and kept two. I would buy another 2370 over a 2360 but only because I like the slightly larger head. The color LEDs of the 2370 are a cool feature but seldom used. But yes, I would buy another 2360 if the 2370 weren't available.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dratz! I was hoping you'd "no way dude, worst light ever"

So much for no lights in April... nah just kidding. I was considering but had not seen any opinions on the 2 cell version. And I have been on good behavior since groundhog day and all...

Edit:
Bright Guy has the Gen 5 for $37...one on the way.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
18650s are harder to come by in a pinch, whereas AA primaries can be found all over the place? I like the idea of being able to buy a brick of AAs and be reasonably prepared for any substantial power outage - provided, of course, the light itself doesn't fail.

I have about 40 18650s, so I think I'm good on that count. I recognize that's atypical.

I didn't say I had trouble thinking of a reason I'd want to use AA at all though; it was 2xAA in particular. 1xAA makes a lot of sense as an EDC, and for having something on hand that can use common primaries (though that hasn't been an issue for me).

I'm not a huge fan of AA so two AA is twice as bad.:ohgeez::p Most of my lights run on CR123a batteries and right now I have probably 120 batteries on hand. Sure, AA batteries can be found everywhere but if I can carry my own light why not bring my own batteries? A double AA would be about as long as a triple CR123a but with less power and lower runtime. About the only 'advantage' AA batteries have is potentially price and their ubiquity. But I only buy lithiums and lithium AA's are slightly more expensive than CR123a's when purchases in bulk.

When I want something smaller than CR123a I reach for AAA; they and the lights that use them are enough smaller than a CR123a light to make them worthwhile. IMO AA batteries aren't enough smaller to be worth their drawbacks (eg lower voltage, greater length and propensity to leak (obviously not applicable to lithium AA)).

EDIT: A good thing though is that they pack a lot of juice. A lithium AA is around 3000 mAh, pretty impressive for the size.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, I think 2xAA isn't as prevalent as in the past. I'm not really a fan anymore since lithium ion has gotten so popular. And good LED drivers don't care some much what the voltage is. I still like the single AA lights and have a couple of them. I keep a Fenix LD11 in the car with a 14500 battery in it and some spare AA batteries in the glove box. But I'm finding I like the single CR123A/16340 lights over the single AA/14500 since I found that my 14500 lights didn't perform as well as my 16340 lights.........but that is another topic.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...40-lights-perform-better-than-my-14500-lights

I recently sold my last 2xAA light, an iTP SA2. Then I also sold my SWM D40A (4xAA). I've never had an interest in any 8xAA lights. I'm finding I don't need as many Eneloop batteries anymore :shrug:.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
2XAA makes for a nice pack light when hiking with gear which also takes 2XAA like the camera, GPS or headlamps. Also makes for a nice around the house and yard light. Not a bad BOB or omnivore option either. I don't EDC any.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xAA is my favorite car light format. It fits in a glovebox well and allows you to use lithium AAs to handle the temperature extremes. It's also more powerful than a single AA light which might not be enough for my own comfort level. I figure if I'm going to have any AA lights around then I might as well make it be a car light and therefore one that others might use once in a while where I don't have to worry about it too much in terms of safety issues.

I have, however, generally switched to 18650 lights primarily, and if I'm going to be gone after dark I always have one on my person. So I don't expect to ever have to use the glovebox light. It's always good to have options though, and my wife carries less powerful lights (single AAA and Nitecore Tube) so she might benefit from having more power on hand sometime.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an on and off love affair with 2AA lights. Ld22, LD22 2017, and Malkoff MDC 2-AA. Great feel in the hand. Really since I don't ever carry a single AA anymore a 2-AA light and my AAA lights really would be all I need. 2-AA for around the house or camping or whatever, and the AAA if I had to throw something in a pocket. Truth be told I've been looking at the Malkoff site weekly to see when his MDC 2-AA would be back in stock but no luck so far.

Me too...rumor is they are being manufactured and should be in stock in a couple weeks:thumbsup: I've been checking daily, it seems all of the MDC bodies are oos and no new stock recently

eggsalad

Enlightened
I carried 2xAA for *years*, dating back to the original Mini-Maglite. A few years ago, as output increased, I switched to 2xAAA. It has more output than older 2xAA, and since I wear my light on a lanyard around my neck while at work, lighter is better.

I'd love to explore around other form factors for my EDC, but I primarily use my flashlights for work, and my job provides all-you-can-eat in either AA or AAA, but nothing else.

I'm a numbskull, and if I tried anything rechargeable for EDC, I'd surely forget to charge it.

phosphor

Enlightened
With the advent of 18650s and 14500's it's hard to make a compelling argument for the 2xAA ...but for the average **** or Jane, a 2xAA with some eneloops or lithium primaries makes lots of sense. Even for me, a 2xAA with lithium primaries in the glove box is comforting.

By my count, I still have about eight 2XAA lights.... and they get used regularly. Old attachments die hard!

Last edited:

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA's have always been too long for my tastes. Why not go with a much shorter 2x16340 set up? Usually way more powerful as well. In all honesty, all I EDC nowadays are a single 14500 light. Plenty of light for what I need, pocketable and doesn't get in the way of all the others toys I tote around in my pockets.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my 2aa lights and really have no idea about the popularity nor do I really care at all?

I also wish there were some side by side choices but the manufacturers are driven by? so I am not holding my breath for them either.

I like the format mostly as they fit nicely in a tool pouch pocket which is often sized for a 2aa Mini Mag and I still carry the Mag a lot this way.
The entire light is too easy to find and replace and abuse and entirely up to many of my daily use needs on a construction site to stop carrying them for example and I can loan them out and not think too much about it too!

I also prefer the AA format in general as they are so easily available and cheap to use and discard though I know that is not the popular practice of many here,please leave me alone about that!
I simply can not count on myself to have a light ready to work if I am the one to be recharging the batteries.

I love the Malkoff 2aa and the HDS is great as a light and a Club!
I also like the ET as it is so slim and easily found in NW tint too.

AA all the way for me!
Mostly.