What Rechargeable LED Light For Paramedic Student Son?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, my oldest son is in paramedic training. He just did his first ride along this week and asked me about a light. I know about the Streamlight Stylus Pro USB. Can I do better in a LED light for a paramedic student in training?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the intent of the this light? Will he be surveying an area or accurately evaluating a condition?

Each of these two situations generally ask for two different lights. Is the formfactor of the streamlight what he is looking for?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are also going to want a high CRI LED like a Nichia 219B or C with at least 90 CRI. They give the most accurate color rendition. Look at the new Nitecore MT06MD is you are looking for a light for evaluation purposes.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a flight nurse, I always carried 3 lights(minimum);
1 for a broad spot
1 for patient assessment
1 as a backup for the first two.
For patient assessment, a Four Sevens Preon 2(they made one with a CRI of 90 so accurate color rendition allowed the assessment of lips or fingertips turning blue, pallor of skin, etc). It is a two cell AAA light than can use primary cells available anywhere or rechargeable Eneloops to save on expense.
I was fond of the Titanium version.
I always carried a Surefire E2E also. Although today it's 60 lumens seems paltry, it always seemed good enough for me, and it as dependable as could be (I carried a spare bulb & batteries at all times, but it never died in the field on me). Both lights are still in my collection. I found the Preon to be more durable than the Streamlight. Good luck & congrats on your son's decision to serve on the front lines!

wjv

Enlightened
Nitecore MT06MD 180 Lumen Nichia 219B LED Medical Penlight Flashlight - 2xAAA

Plus some eneloop batteries and a charger.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

It wouldn't hurt to have a couple lithium primaries available in case of an extended run that depletes the NiMH cells. And/or a second set of NiMH wouldn't hurt either. Within practical limits there is nothing that is too much when lives may be at stake.

I EDCed the Streamlight ProTac EMS for a few years. Nice little single AA light. Always starts in low, with a rear clicky switch so there is no problem with parasitic drain. Output levels of 3.6/10/50 lumens make it good for everything from pupil illuminations to area lighting up to about 50 meters. Only drawback is that it only has a CRI of somewhere around 70, so it is not as nice as a light with a high CRI like the MT06MD. Makes a good second and/or backup light. Remember, "Two is One, and One is None".

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I placed the order for the Nitecore MT06MD last night. Now, I need to find a good source for the Eneloops mentioned. I already have an Xtar VC2 Plus Master charger. Will it be suitable for AAA Eneloops?

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Amazon a good source for eneloops. Yes that charger will be fine.

*edit* You mention AA's. That light takes AAA's... charger will still be fine.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon a good source for eneloops. Yes that charger will be fine.

*edit* You mention AA's. That light takes AAA's... charger will still be fine.

Ah, I knew it was AAAs, but I still typed AAs. I do thank you for the reminder, sir. (And, I edited my original post, too.)

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was waiting for me when I returned home from work yesterday afternoon. I inserted a pair of disposable AAA batteries and tried it out briefly. I then gave it to my son who did an ambuloance ride-along last night. It seems like a very nice litle light.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LED Light For Paramedic Son?

I am giving some thought to getting another LED light like this for my son, who is now a paramedic. Is the Nitecore MT06MD still the definitive choice or are there some others worthy of consideration in this specific category?

Also, has the Nitecore MT06MD changed at all? It looks like there is a "pupil gauge" on the side. Is the clip the same?

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What LED Light For Paramedic Son?

if you want to stay with 2x AAA penlight format, then stay with the same light

if you want to branch out into a larger, heavier, more powerful light,
with a unique interface that allows for extremely low levels at the turn of a dial, the Jetbeam RRT-01 would be my pick
https://skylumen.com/products/jetbeam-rrt01vn-the-best-edc-r
you can order whatever LED seems best, you can also order it as a triple, which gives a wider floodyer beam

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light currently available with or without pupil gauge. Non medics didn't like/need the gauge; one not necessarily newer than other.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LED Light For Paramedic Son?

...if you want to branch out into a larger, heavier, more powerful light,
with a unique interface that allows for extremely low levels at the turn of a dial, the Jetbeam RRT-01 would be my pick...

For moment there, I thought I had stumbled across my next cap light. But then I realized the clip is not suitable for clipping onto a baseball cap.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
One overall important fact: The MT06MD is 'Photobiologically Safe (Standard RG0)'. That means that it is certified to not produce any damage when used to examine pupils. Blue light, and even more so ultraviolet light, can produce damage to the lens and retina of the eye. Photobiologically Safe means that the light in question does not produce enough blue or ultraviolet light to damage the eye in normal use. This is one of the reasons many medical personnel still use lights using incandescent bulbs for eye exams, due to the low amount of UV and deep blue light produced by incandescent bulbs.
With the increased use of LED lights in the medical area due to longer life and lower power requirements, UV exposure becomes becomes much more of a problem. To be safe, make sure whatever light you select is rated as exempt or RG0.

IEC62471-classification.jpg

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Re: What LED Light For Paramedic Son?

I am giving some thought to getting another LED light like this for my son, who is now a paramedic. Is the Nitecore MT06MD still the definitive choice or are there some others worthy of consideration in this specific category?

Perhaps you can have a look at Nextorch Dr. K3? It is made specifically for diagnosing patient. Uses only 1 aaa.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the reasons many medical personnel still use lights using incandescent bulbs for eye exams, due to the low amount of UV and deep blue light produced by incandescent bulbs.
With the increased use of LED lights in the medical area due to longer life and lower power requirements, UV exposure becomes becomes much more of a problem. To be safe, make sure whatever light you select is rated as exempt or RG0.

I hope you do not believe this. White LEDs produce almost no UV unlike incandescent bulbs.

Caveats:
Not all LEDs are of the same quality
Not all LEDs are of the same color temperature.
Even low quality (low CRI) LEDs don't produce UV
Always request the datasheet of the LED used and/or have a guarantee of quality and fit for purpose, this is for educational use and cannot be used to make a buying decision

Lets use this as example:
uSF0tJ4.png

What to pay attention to:
The top middle contains the spectral power distribution
UV is light below 405nm
Blue light is between UV and 500nm
Blue line is black body which incandescent is near exact
red line is measured LED

Comparing this LED to an incandescent:
The LED produces NO UV.
The incandescent has more blue light or area under the curve below 500nm

Of course cooler LEDs typically have much more blue light but they still do not produce UV. UV LEDs are very inefficient so no one constructs the base LEDs out of UV, they use blue instead.

Bogie

Enlightened
Firefighter/Paramedic here I carry a SF DFT Fury on my belt at all times with a SF 6PX on my helmet. I count on my lights to work in crappy environments at all times and have never been let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts