Two small Arc4 suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr

Flashaholic
These are already mentioned in my preliminary review but I thought I'd bring them here separately. They are two small gripes about the Arc4 that I think can be easily fixed in future runs, but which have been annoying me considerably.

1) the clip screw heads IMO stick out too far and bump into my fingers uncomfortably when I handle the light. That's not just when I'm using it, but also when I just fidget around with it, turning it over in my hand, while it's in my jacket pocket, as I sometimes like to do. So I think the screws should be changed to countersunk flathead screws. In my review I may have called this very minor, but I notice it more and more, and I have to say it's poor ergonomics. It can still be called minor but I'd have to drop the "very". Some modders have already offered some different, special screws on BST, but I'm not sure of the details and there don't seem to be more available right now. That means other people have been bothered by the same issue. I do know the replacement screws used Allen heads instead of Philips. I think that's perfectly fine, I don't care about removing the clip or putting it back on in the field. Philips is also fine as long as the screws can be less obtrusive than the current ones.

2) This may be more controversial but I think the level 1 press-and-hold function should not be momentary. With the light on, pressing and holding should kick up to level 1, and the light should then stay at level 1 til you double click, just like triple clicking kicks down to level 16 til you double click. (I guess it's ok to fall out of level 1 when you turn off the light).

I think the momentary version is a leftover from the now-removed notion of "boost mode" which was an overdriven mode that the light could thermally withstand for only a few seconds. Since the light can now run continuously at level 1 for reasonable time, this function should not be momentary. Having to hold the button down is just too big a nuisance. Being able to run a flashlight at full brightness constant-on (not momentary) is an absolutely basic function of any flashlight beyond a squeeze-only Photon-1 style light, and if level 1 is neither your primary or secondary setting on the Arc 4, the only way to do it involves clicking ten times and navigating the brightness level menu, which is completely lame. This is a simple firmware change and I hope it can be considered.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
These suggestions are good and reasonable. The second one even more than the first. I remember someone in this forum stated he wants to have full power flashlight therefore he stays at lev 1 on primary, force primary option set. Most people normally go dimmer with their primary / secondary settings for saving batteries.

We will have the real four levels flashlight then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I only wonder if it is possible to get free software upgrade for my second. The shipping wont be easy from Czech Republic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.