Z2 Combatlight Question

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
I just received a z2 I saw on the bay for a steal and I noticed the head appears to be not original. It looks like your standard z44 but there is no bezel. Is this something surefire did for just the z2 or is it an aftermarket part? If it's aftermarket do you know who makes them?

Edit: Photo added

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Can you post a photo ?

Most vintage SureFire flashlights often went through multiple "generations" of design evolution ....

In addition, of course, there are an enormous number and variety of P60-compatible aftermarket "lego" parts which have been available for the P/C/Z series models.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question - I recall getting a Z2 that was missing a bezel; it was an older model and had been scuffed a fair bit.

That said, nice Z2! Are you going to upgrade, or keep it stock?

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Good question - I recall getting a Z2 that was missing a bezel; it was an older model and had been scuffed a fair bit.

That said, nice Z2! Are you going to upgrade, or keep it stock?

I already put my m61LLL 219b in there! It is my first z series light and I love how it feels in the hand. I've had a few 6p's but this is better. Why did I just discover this now, lol.

ven

Flashaholic
I am sure the older z2 had the none bezel ring head, the later z2's(like the LED version) does have a bezel ring .
Left and far right have bezel rings, the z2 with no LED print came with a plane bezel

This is the original bezel from the older gen z2(now lives on this 6p)

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
I am sure the older z2 had the none bezel ring head, the later z2's(like the LED version) does have a bezel ring .
Left and far right have bezel rings, the z2 with no LED print came with a plane bezel

This is the original bezel from the older gen z2(now lives on this 6p)

Wow great thank you so much!

ven

Flashaholic
Welcome, i am far from any expert on surefire though, only what i have had from my short experience. Tbh, i like the plane bezel..............just no fuss, nice and simple/classic in look. Only down side of course is that the end of the bezel is prone to chips having no protection. The 6p with the older z2 bezel has been used daily in work for a couple of weeks now, with a little care it still looks new. If you really want the bezel/ring style, just get a z44 with it. Have a look on here or put in the WTB section...........or just swap it with a 6p bezel.

Enjoy! love the z2(bezel ring or not)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have an older 'crosshairs' C2 with the same head assembly as the OP's - probably made around the same time.

My gut feeling is that this particular Z2 would have been an uncommon 'transitional variant' between the older 6Z's w/ 'smoothie' head (i.e. in peite's thread here) and the more modern Z2's with the multi-piece Z44 head/bezel assembly.

I believe that the vast majority of the Z2's have the more modern Z44 head/bezel assembly, while the vast majority of the earlier 6Z's were built with the older 'smoothie' head.

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Z2 without a bezel ring too..

Unfortunately for me it arrived with the lens warped (due to high temp i guess) & i can't change it either.

So it is doing shelf duty these days & i got myself a replacement newer generation bezel to replace it.
I agree with how the light feels in the hand too.. Definitely one of the better ergonomically light, in my opinion

archimedes

Flashaholic
My gut feeling is that this particular Z2 would have been an uncommon 'transitional variant' between the older 6Z's w/ 'smoothie' head (i.e. in peite's thread here) and the more modern Z2's with the multi-piece Z44 head/bezel assembly.

I believe that the vast majority of the Z2's have the more modern Z44 head/bezel assembly, while the vast majority of the earlier 6Z's were built with the older 'smoothie' head.

Although I think one of our resident expert collectors (like @Rat) could better say for certain, I would tend to agree with you, @Kestrel

It indeed appeared to be usual practice in the "old days" for SureFire to mix-and-match parts during design changes. The remainder of the prior parts run(s) might be fitted onto compatible newer models until they were all gone or completely built out.

This would lead to rare transitional versions during the evolution between distinct "generations"

Of course, another very plausible possibility is simply that this has been "legoed" together somewhere along the line, unless the original owner(s) know for sure that this was the stock configuration as received directly from SF....

Last edited: