Upgrade LED bulb for Mini Maglite AA LED

Clarky75

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I am new here and I am confused and have a question about my Mini Maglite LED AA torch.

I was hoping to make this light a bit brighter, is there a replacement LED I can replace the standard mini mag LED with.

Was researching online and discovered all these upgrade LED kits to convert the old incandescent bulbs to LED, but mine is already an LED. I didn't want to buy the wrong upgrade can someone point me in the right direction please.

Appreciate the help

Craig

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Depending on the Mini mag you may be able to with some modding effort swap the LED itself out. I did it years ago when my roommate broke the LED on his first generation LED mini mag. I had to solder ears on the LED itself and buy some thermal glue also and had bought some SSC-P4 LEDs for $1 each. The difference was remarkable...it was noticeably brighter but the biggest difference was in the tint..... no more ugly luxeon 1 tint (greenish yellow) instead a slightly bluish white. Today there are LEDs that blow the SSC P4 away. I'm not sure what LED today would be mechanically focusable in a mini mag nor what generation yours is but when you factor in the cost of an emitter and thermal glue and waiting to get those shipped perhaps from 2 different places and trying to solder ears on the LED emitter to connect the LED...
My advice is to buy a nice new light instead of wasting time and money to upgrade an LED minimag to LESS of what a new LED minimag pro is or another light.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't really much you can do. I assume you have a regular/lower spec LED Mini Mag? somewhere in the 60-80 lumen range? The current Pro and Pro+ versions pump out loads of lumens.

The issue isn't the LED so much as the electronic driver. The stock driver doesn't drive the LEDs very hard. However driving them harder will produce lots of heat, which is why they aren't driven too hard in the first place.

The LED and driver are contained in a small module I think on the Mini Mag. It is probably possible to push out the assembly and retro fit a new driver and/or different LED. But it will be 100% custom work and likely require fabrication as well as soldering.

If you want a more powerful Mini Mag, just buy the new Pro version, think it's rated at 272 lumens, which is plenty for a 2AA power source.

Clarky75

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, I may just buy a new flashlight I think, going to be cheaper and easier I suspect, thanks for the advice.