After a new LED AA Torch

Clarky75

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I currently have Maglite Mini AA LED. I am after a brighter LED torch which is brighter and also has a longer and wider beam. I would like to get a torch roughly the same size as the Mini Mag as I carry this with me.

My girlfriend lives in a dark country area, which has many power outages, and it can get very dark. I also always carry a torch on me most of the time, so its important that its not too big to carry. I would also like the click to turn on as opposed to the twist action of the Maglite. I live in Australia, so many of the torches recommended here cost nearly double what they do for you guys in the USA.

I was looking to spend around $35-$40 USD, however if any one has any recommendations that are a bit more $$ I am happy to hear them.

I was looking at the Fenix E12 which is roughly $45 Aussie dollars, the Nitecore P12 $104 dollars and the Thrunite Tn12 $80 dollars

Anyway, happy to hear any advice.

Thanks

Clarky

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Check out Zebralight sc52w ($59)runs on AA or 14500. Or sc63w ($79) runs on unprotected 18650. These lights have amazing run times and lumen output.

I only suggested the 18650 lights as the last 2 you mention are 18650.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always try the Nitecore EA11. It uses either a single AA cell or a 14500 Li-Ion cell. Obviously, the use of the higher power cell increases the output significantly, but even when used with an AA cell it produces a decent output. It is a side switch /electronic switch light, but a simple twist of the tail cap when storing it will stop any parasitic drain. It also has a smaller red LED mounted to one side for use in preserving night vision. I love mine. I wouldn't throw it in a pants pocket because it is just large enough to be uncomfortable there, at least for me. It should ride well clipped to the edge of a pocket though. I use the included holster and carry it on my belt, which is very comfortable and unobtrusive.
If you want to step up to Li-Ion, or you already have, its cousin the EC11 will use a single CR123 cell or a rechargeable RCR123/18350 cell.

If you are willing to look at a light that would be a little larger than the MiniMag, look at the Nitecore P30. It is a single 18650/two CR123 light that has very good lower modes, but on Turbo and high puts out a nice tight spot with a nice spill. It definitely is not a pocket light unless it would be in a coat or jacket, but it fits nicely on a belt. Best of all, it has the tail clicky for on/off, so there is no parasitic drain to worry about, but the mode switch is on the side of the head, where it is very comfortable to reach when using an underhand grip. With a little judicious shopping, I got mine for $50 USD, so it should be within your budget.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I see you are getting some suggestions already. Nothing wrong with any of them really, but some are already over your price point. And there really no 'need' to pay for the premium models.

I would also suggest that any 1xAA light is unlikely to fulfil what you are wanting. 1AA lights are usually compact, great for carrying, but the beam will usually be floody and not much distance to it.

Chances are it would out perform your current light, but it's a big like asking for pick-up truck suggestions and having people suggest hatchback based vans.

The big decision really is on battery type, you have two main choices:

-Normal off the shelf AA/AAA types
-Li-ion

Li-ion needs a little more care, plus you'll need to buy the batteries and a charger for them. But in return they offer far superior performance, and in a smaller package.

The downsides are slightly more cost as you'll need the batteries and charger. Plus Li-ion is potentially more volatile, so needs a bit more thought and care in owning and using it.

If you want to stick with normal AA/AAA type batteries. Then there is a choice here too. All lights will typically work better on NiMh or Lithium primary batteries. Normal Duracell Alkaline batteries tend to perform very badly in modern flashlifghts.

If you are using Alkaline batteries, then Maglite and Led Lenser probably offer the best real world performance on these batteries, plus offer some genuinely good torches.

Along the lines of the XL50 Maglite and the Led Lenser P6.2. Lenser also do the P7.2, but that might be a little chunky to carry, the P6.2 is about the same size as your Mini Mag, but a lot more powerful.

The XL50 is a nice compact tube light, I have the similar XL200. The XL50 is a little brighter, but has less modes and is cheaper.

Here is a review of the XL200 to give you an idea:

If Li-ion appeals, then there are a raft of options. But my advice would be to try out some of the cheaper options first. I think you might be amazed.

Namely I'd highly recommend the Convoy range of lights. I don't know if there are any re-sellers in Aus for these, but you can buy direct from Convoy via their Aliexpress store, or from places like bangggood.com

The Convoy S2 and S2+ are both brilliant little lights and by and large match the likes of Fenix, Olight and many others in terms of performance and IMO build quality. The only real difference is the Convoy lights then to use a more simple user interface.

The S2 is the more throwy light with a deeper reflector, while the S2+ is a bit more floody. They run on 18650 batteries and will massively exceed any AA powered light in terms of performance and runtime. And you'll be staggered at how they perform compared to your current light.

They are also compact and pocket friendly.

The best thing is the price point however.

Another nice touch with the Convoy lights is you can buy them with different tint LEDs. A Neutral White tint will generally be much nicer on the eyes when out in the countryside. So something to bear in mind.

He is a review of the Convoy S2+ to give you an idea:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...voy-S2-(the-red-one!)-%96-Fantastic-18650-EDC

To give you an idea of size:

Mini Mag Pro (LED) | Mini Mag Incan | Convoy S2 | Convoy S2+ | Mag XL200 | Lenser P7

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Zebralight sc52w can use any type of AAs or use 14500 for 500 lumen for 1 min and 280 after the step down. AAs will only have 280 lumens. The UI is amazing.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast HX5 might be an option. I haven't compared the throw distance to my Mini Mag 2xAA, but I sure do prefer beam quality, slide focus and clicky switch to the Mini Mag.

Clarky75

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, and thanks to Chicken Drumstick, I just ordered one of these Convoy S2+ for the price cant go wrong, appreciate the responses.