Suggestions - gift light?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to buy a flashlight for a family member. This will be a birthday present for a non-flashaholic. She requested a new flashlight but didn't give an exact purpose, but I believe it will be a "walk the dog" light in areas that range for well-lit roadside to very dark residential streets.

So, here are the primary requirements:

1) Decent throw
2) Respectable battery life
3) Low cost (under $40)

Additinally, size is not a primary concern, this is not an EDC light and if it uses 123's it will need to have better battery life than a G2/Scorpion/PM6/etc.

Suggestions?

Jon

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe one of the Streamlight TT line up. Unless your planning to keep her supplied with batts...forget the 123 batt ones.

Ken

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a Streamlight TT 2L LED's/Xenon light combo, works really good-- they make a model that uses AA batteries---

An Inova X5T might work well for her, the silver version would
make a great gift!

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 3C TT light -- gave my mom one for Christmas for the same purpose, she loves it. Although the switching is 'funky', she likes the pressing to cycle from led's to incan.

(Now all I gotta do is pick up some NiMh C's and a good charger & she'll be set -- she's using Nicd w/a dumb charger now)

kf

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaning towards the TT 3C actually and maybe a 6 pack of energizer titanium "C" cells. I was thinking the 2L at first but as BadBeams mentioned, I'd probably have to give her a box of SF 123's too.

Jon

cy

Flashaholic
first choice would be Arc AAA for aprox. $28

infinity ultra Gov HA @ $15 ea. Wonderful light, decent output with long run times. Single AA for 15 hours, so no worrys about batt.

Functionally the same as Arc AA for aprox. $40. Arc AA is of course is much nicer.

If you wanted something with better throw, those intro ArcLS for $50-60 look pretty good. The only problem is you've got to catch it on sale.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
I'm leaning towards the TT 3C actually and maybe a 6 pack of energizer titanium "C" cells. I was thinking the 2L at first but as BadBeams mentioned, I'd probably have to give her a box of SF 123's too.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I'd recommend. I think the SL TT 3C is one of the best "all-around" flashlights.

Britt

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the TT lights. I only have the lithium models, but either the AA or the C models would be good.

I would not recommend any of the single cell lights, as they do not have the throw or brightness to be a good all around light.

Jerry

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X5t methinks... Even flood with a decent enough throw, plus a very good runtime as well. On top of that I think she might also like the sleek lines of the X5t, my g/f does anyway!! Anyway, if need be she could also probably use it as a mini 'billy club' should the situation arise...

P/S, I forgot to add that this would come under the $40 mark as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the single 5mm lights won't be bright enough. Again, lighting conditions range from fairly dark to well lit streets with plenty of auto headlights to ruin night vision.

My only thought is that the TT series incan mode can't be easily enabled without first clicking through the two led modes. If someone is only interested in a M@g-style bright/off/bright/off clickie in a decent light, they're aren't many options. The Streamlight ProPoly xenon might be perfect except for the tail button. The PolyStinger came to mind, but it's well outside the price range. I might try to find some reviews of the Pelican M8 Xenon...

Jon

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Streamlight 3AA luxeon tasklight
Tec40
Underwater Kinetics 4AA light AS2? not sure of name
An Electrolumens 2 or 3D light, or C light.
Luxeon drop in for a mini mag.
Surge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Arc-LSH with 2AA pack, I can't help myself I love this light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
the TT3c does sound good.

i really like the 2 "angleluxes" i built--they are very bright and run a LOOOONG time. i think you would go over $40 if you got one from Elektrolumens, though.
you culd build one for about $40 or less.
with the fraen LP, they throw nicely. mine put out 600lux.

i love led's...can you tell?

anyway, good luck!

Bob

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surge is out, I've had very bad experiences with them. I'm worried that any LS driven below 700ma won't be bright enough either...

Thanks for the help everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

83Venture

Enlightened
How about Streamlight The 3C-XP? BrightGuy has it for $44.95. Below info from Streamlight.

Combination of a halogen lamp and three LED,s. Choose between the halogen lamp and LED's via a dual switch control each function has its own push button on/off switch. The 3 LED's will give you over 300 hours of run-time. The battery will support a minimum of 1 hour of LED light after the incandescent (main halogen bulb) runs out.

Uses 3 C batteries, better switch than the TwinTasks, Xenon: up to 5-6 hours continuous, 3 LEDs: 300+ hours, 3 watt xenon, 3 LEDs: 18 lumens. Dual switch for xenon or LEDs; "blink" and steady "on" modes; Emergency backup LED illumination. Can get in Black, Yellow or Orange.

Lightweight, super-tough nylon polymer case designed with non-slip rubber comfort grip; unbreakable polycarbonate lens; "O" ring sealed.

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't get a 123 powered light for a non-flashaholic unless you know they're geeky enough to order cells by mail. Include a box or two with the light.

Otherwise I'd suggest the Streamlight 4AA 7LED at about $25. The TT3C is an nice light but I think it takes "size is not a primary concern" a little too literally. Nice wide beam, bright enough for walking around but certainly no flame thrower.

Main problem with the Surge these days is it's a pain to change the batteries. They used to have a problem with the bulbs overheating and falling out (design defect, now fixed). They've also been known to flood underwater but I presume you're not looking for a dive light.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shucks, I was going to suggest the Surge, which I really like as an all-purpose, very bright light. Hopefully Princeton Tec would have worked out most of the "bugs" in the light, so that it works well now. I do agree though, changing batteries is a major pain.

That being said, how about the Princeton Tec Rage? I think it puts out a great amount of light for its size, and has a very useful beam for walking the dog type of activities. The compact size and shape of the light make it very easy to carry--attach a lanyard and it can be worn around the neck when not in use in well-lit areas. Cost will be well below your budget, but you could throw in some extra batteries...

The UKE lights I've had provide a very long reach, but I've found the very tight spot beam to be less useful for trying to navigate the immediate area you're walking around in.

Regarding the Streamlight TT 3C. A great light, but would seem to be rather too large and heavy for more than just a few minutes of carry time.

My opinions, for whatever that might be worth...

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TT-3C is very good, but slightly heavy and not easily carried when wearing shorts unless it's being held continually. it will make a good club in a pinch though. Even wth these drawbacks, that's what I'd go with. The LED's are plenty for walking and if you need some power, just hit the switch once more and you're kicking photons.

paulr

Flashaholic
PT Rage is nice and compact but it eats batteries pretty fast, and needs special bulbs. Unless you need the small size, I'd go PT40 instead.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
SL 4AA 7LED? I don't think any LED has a bright enough beam for outdoor activities save a LuxIII at 750 mA up or 5W.

An FT-3C would be an excellent choice - usable, small, bright. You just can't go wrong.