Help choosing the right UV flashlight please!

LetItGlow

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't find any recent posts about the topic so here goes:

I need a portable UV light for a research application in a remote area of a developing country. We are trying to visualize a fluorescent dye that has maximal absorption at ~375nm (absorption spectra here: https://imgur.com/a/qE66H)

I have a cheap 395nm LED flashlight from amazon that isn't super bright and flickers a lot - I don't trust it to get the job done because if it fails on site, I'm a long way from a new flashlight.

The best option I seem to have found so far is the EagleTac P200LC2 which says it has a Custom 365nm UV LED, 4 Watts: http://eagletac.com/html/p200lc2/specs.html

Also, trying not to break the project budget.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

night.hoodie

Enlightened
The Jetbeam Jet-uv @365nm is an amazing bargain, under $12 on sale. The output of any UV light may have a maximum peak at any arbitrary wavelength, but the output is not so narrow that it is not also putting out plenty of light at surrounding frequencies, and even frequencies significantly distant from its peak wavelength.

A 365nm UV light will certainly cause a substrate that has a peak flourescence at 375nm to fluoresce, because the output curve of any light (except for a laser) is not so precise or narrow. This thread may help, though it somewhat disagrees with what I have just iterated.

Adding, cautiously, the Ultrafire WF-501b found for far less on Amazon and eBay, because some reviews claim the light is not UV, but above 400nm. It is possible there are more than one type wavelength of these lights available, which may account for the discrepancy and poor reviews.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best deal by far is the Convoy UV light. It uses a genuine nichia 276 265nm and goes for around $25 less the 18650 needed to run it. Add in the ZWB2 filter and you have the best bargain UV light period.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
The best deal by far is the Convoy UV light. It uses a genuine nichia 276 265nm and goes for around $25 less the 18650 needed to run it. Add in the ZWB2 filter and you have the best bargain UV light period.

Convoy produces excellent flashlights, and is highly regarded, bargain or not. Sells itself without the smarmy car salesman's spiel, though. :whistle:

LetItGlow

Newly Enlightened
THANK YOU all for your helpful replies. It sounds like the Convoy S2+ 365nm would be a solid choice.

CAN anyone speak to the quality of the EAGTAC P200LC2 model I mentioned above? Am I correct in thinking it would be MUCH brighter than the Convoy? Also, do either of them allow you to zoom/change the angle of the beam?

I'm having a hard time comparing these two (beyond 4Watts vs. 3Watts) because EAGTAC seems to only report the specs/runtime/beam characteristics for the white-light LED options... But I like that the EAGTAC is truly (submersion) waterproof and has 3 output settings.

Also, are there any feature differences between the similarly priced P200A2 and the P200LC2 I mentioned above? Seems like A2 is less powerful, at least to my limited physics background.

Everyone on the project greatly appreciates your expertise - thank you.

LetItGlow

Newly Enlightened
Convoy produces excellent flashlights, and is highly regarded, bargain or not. Sells itself without the smarmy car salesman's spiel, though. :whistle:

Thank you for recommendations. Can anyone comment on the quality of the EAGTAC P200LC2 UV 365nm?