How does McLux PR-T compare to...and another ?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about the McLux PR-T with a T rank Luxeon III driven at 917ma and how it compares to some other lights like:

Arc LSH-P
Arc LSL
modded Arc LSL with 3W SV1J
KL1 with a R2k, driven at 1a

Also, how do you think it will compare with the VIP?

Thanks!

Additional Question asked below

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Re: How does McLux PR-T compare to...

Well, I'm fairly certain that the PR-T will absolutely destroy all the lights listed except maybe the KL1 depending on the optic used.

But really, what you're buying with the PR-T is a large very bright hotspot and a very large very even spill beam. Bar none, the best beam quality I have seen using a LED.

All optic based lights will have a hard time keeping up with the Pelican reflector.

Hopefully, Don will comment some more.

Phil_B

Enlightened

Hi Bug.I have a PR head run wide open on a MM+ board using only 1 cell. It clear blows away the L4 and L5 (I have them to compare).
I also have a modded ARC LSH with Fraen optics,running at 667ma with a 3w emitter.Lovely light but not nearly as focussed.However it's better for some jobs BECAUSE of that.You may need to decide what the job is then pick a solution for it.
Or.. do what we all seem to do and buy the bloody lot anyway! :-D
I'll let ya know about the VIP when I get it..mmmm mmmore torches..
HTH,Phil.

jtice

Flashaholic

I can take a pic, compairing it to a Arc LSH-P if you want, or other similar lights,
But yes the PR-T at 917mA will KILL all of them.
It has a nice tight hotspot with good throw, and very even flood, its a definate winner.
Stick it on a E2 SF bod, and you have a great EDC.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes please on the pict.
What will the runtime be like?
Will it work on both a 1 cell SF body as well as a 2 cell?

G Pilot

Enlightened

I have a PRT head w/DB1000 TWAK.....the best competion that light has is my KL4 head running at 850ma with a TWAK. The KL4 reflector does extremely well with a single die luxeon. Massive throw and good side spill.

The only advantage of the DB1000 is the batteries. I can get 1 amp because I can use 2-3 cells. With the KL4 I can only input a max of 3 volts. It has been discussed before and I believe it to be correct, but 1 123 cell cannot provide 850ma. The best measurement I've got from a 123 in this set up was almost 700ma. So I use 2 lithium AA's, I have repeatedly measured 800ma all the way up 870ma(with fresh cells).

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Chief_Wiggum said:
...But really, what you're buying with the PR-T is a large very bright hotspot and a very large very even spill beam. Bar none, the best beam quality I have seen using a LED...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It's a beautiful and extremely practical combination of throw and flood.

Britt

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Quote from previous post:

My EDC has always included a 2x123 long throw incandescent, initially one of the "big three" and more recently the TL-2 xenon as a more compact but still long throwing compromise. I didn't believe that a 2x123 LED could fill this role for at least two or three years but I was wrong, or at least partly wrong. The E2E mounted McLux PR917 will out-throw my E2E/MN03 and maintain its brightness for about 1.5hrs. It is a little heftier than the E2E but still a very compact light.

Is it a true "long-throw" light? That depends on your definition, but I consider any 2x123 that can equal or surpass the classic three (TACLITE, TACM, PM6) to be a genuinely long-thrower. The TL-2 xenon, though an excellent thrower, is still a distinct step or two below that standard, while the McLux PR917 is two or so steps behind the TL-2 and the E2E perhaps a half step or more behind the PR. So by those stringent standards I'd have to say the PR isn't a true long throwing light, but it beats the E2E, which used to be our favorite and smallest incandescent and it runs at full brightness many times longer, which is why I carry it. I know of no other incandescent or LED light that equals its combination of bright throw, runtime, small size and weight.

Brightnorm

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

The PR-T as described will blow all of the other mentioned lights out of the water, without question. It may not always be the best tool for the job, but in terms of sheer performance, it's a no brainer.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok. now I want one. Can someone please suggest the "perfect" setup and where do I get ALL the parts/pieces etc to put together this little beast.

Thanks in advance.

Is there someplace that I can buy everything that is needed or do they have to be sourced from different locations.

jtice

Flashaholic

one stop shoppe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

www.theledguy.com

Click on the "Click here to enter the shoppe" button.

Now all you need is a bod, I suggest a E2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would do a DB700, that is pretty bright, and gives better runtime, or, go all out, and get a DB916 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,

I think one host that is likely to be come popular is the new E2D. The black HA body with tail standing guarded clickie will be real nice with a black PR-T, IMHO. If you want max lux and throw, the Lux III is the LED to use. For more overall light with a broader beam, a 5W is the LED to use. I prefer the Lux III myself and if you want a real flood, just unscrew the bezel and drop out the reflector for a while. Two of the four holes in the E2D guard are threaded with 6x32 so they can host the tab for swivel belt carry if that is an option desired.

I have become spoiled now with two level output on the PR-T so I have been working on some components for modding the E series LOTC for two stage output. I have some good working proto types and progress is being made. Nothing compares to the modified L1's with 2x123, PR-T and the great two stage switch from SF but I think I might come up with a more cost effective, if less elegant, alternative. The same switch will work with bad boys as well as down boys; 1x123 or 2x123, 1W, Lux III's or the 5W's.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

who makes the E2D and where can I find it?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

One more question:

You have to purchase the assembly for EITHER
a 3v body -OR-
a 6/9/12v body

right? In other words, can you have one LUX III PR-T that runs on either a 3 or 6v body?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not until theres a better buck/boost converter available than the wizard.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
who makes the E2D and where can I find it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Surefire. Should be available "soon."

Latest posts