Surefire Z2 -> LED

Airedale1

Newly Enlightened
Hello: This is my 1st post here and I would like to learn how I can convert my Z2 to LED. I have never done anything in the past to change it at all.

My goals are to increase lumen output and increase runtime. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire Z2

Hello, @Airedale1 and welcome ....

Your post has been approved, but your thread has been moved to the "LED Flashlights" forum, as you are requesting information about converting your SF Z2 to LED.

You will get many suggestions shortly :)

cp2315

Enlightened

What you need is so called a "P60 drop in". Search on the forums you will find all kinds of drop ins serving different purposes. Some are high quality, some are powerful in throw, or in flood. If you'd like, name what you want to do with your upgraded light, people here will be able to point you in the right direction.

ven

Flashaholic

Someone say z2:naughty:

Good value, check sportac out, around $30 from single LED/reflector to triple options(xp-g2 and nichia 219b/219c). More output, then more custom options out there, v54, oveready, tana, etc Programmable drivers, mode amount and levels..................many many options to suit most needs.

As said, what do you want it to do for you, preferred colour temp etc
:welcome:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

No one has told you how easy it is, mainly because we take it for granted.
All you do is unscrew the head take out the incan module and replce it with the led module. Screw the head back on.
You should pay attention to the voltage requirements of your new module (P60 type). If you want to run 2 x cr123 cells they will provide 6 volts. Make sure your module will cope with this. If you want to use a 16650 Li Ion cell make sure the module will cope with the lower voltage - 3.7v. You can also fit 2 x 16350 cwlls, these will give you 7.4 volts.
Otherwise it's a doddle.
I use Malkoff M61 type drop ins. lots of choice of output and tint.
P

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello: This is my 1st post here and I would like to learn how I can convert my Z2 to LED. I have never done anything in the past to change it at all.

My goals are to increase lumen output and increase runtime. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You've already got some good information - you can find Malkoff drop-ins at, appropriately enough: https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts

The M61W will produce a beam tint along the lines of what you're used to: 200 lumens for 1.5 hours, with a long taper after that.

The M61 is a cooler tint: 325 lumens for 1.5 hours, with a long taper.

The other modules may have L or LL after them (M61LL for example): these denote longer running modules, but the lumen output is lowered. The "L" series runs for about 5 hours with a taper, the "LL" models run for 10 hours, with a long taper.

Good luck!

ven

Flashaholic

Yes malkoff hard to beat for a bullet proof p60, lots of flavours available..................

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whats the difference between each?

There are quite a handful of differences between brands... they will vary in features, specs and price. They are similar in terms of that they will fit and run into P60 (SF 6P) format. You can check on their official website for more details.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

For inexpensive but very bright, multi mode and reasonable reliability I would go Mountain Electronics CUXP/CUXM but then the OP would need a lithium ion 16650 2500 mAh Keeppower battery. But for under 20 bucks it's really really nice. For bomb prof long runtimes and easy of operation (one mode) I would get a Malkoff M61NL.

Airedale1

Newly Enlightened

Thank you one and all for the welcome and all of the info.

Whar are those heads? Do they have 4 led's? Where do you source them from?

Someone say z2:naughty:

Good value, check sportac out, around $30 from single LED/reflector to triple options(xp-g2 and nichia 219b/219c). More output, then more custom options out there, v54, oveready, tana, etc Programmable drivers, mode amount and levels..................many many options to suit most needs.

As said, what do you want it to do for you, preferred colour temp etc
:welcome:

No one has told you how easy it is, mainly because we take it for granted.
All you do is unscrew the head take out the incan module and replce it with the led module. Screw the head back on.
You should pay attention to the voltage requirements of your new module (P60 type). If you want to run 2 x cr123 cells they will provide 6 volts. Make sure your module will cope with this. If you want to use a 16650 Li Ion cell make sure the module will cope with the lower voltage - 3.7v. You can also fit 2 x 16350 cwlls, these will give you 7.4 volts.
Otherwise it's a doddle.
I use Malkoff M61 stype drop ins. lots of choice of output and tint.
P

Thank you for telling me that they just drop in.

You've already got some good information - you can find Malkoff drop-ins at, appropriately enough: https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts

The M61W will produce a beam tint along the lines of what you're used to: 200 lumens for 1.5 hours, with a long taper after that.

The M61 is a cooler tint: 325 lumens for 1.5 hours, with a long taper.

The other modules may have L or LL after them (M61LL for example): these denote longer running modules, but the lumen output is lowered. The "L" series runs for about 5 hours with a taper, the "LL" models run for 10 hours, with a long taper.

Good luck!

What does a "long taper" mean". Is there. A glossary of terms on here? I saw on Amazon that there is a drop in that claims to be compatible with the Z2. It's called a Justup Cree T6 and claims it's 1000 lumens and is very inexpensive. I am guessing that like in most things in life you get what you pay for and this is probably junk? Again, thank you for all the info. I am sure I will learn lots here

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

A "long taper" means that the output will start to go down from the listed run time, but will decrease slowly, gradually. It won't just turn off after the listed time.

So if an M61 puts out 325 lumens for 1.5 hours, after 1.5 hours, you will see the output decrease to, say, 300 lumens. Then 275. Then 250. Numbers are approximate, but you get the idea - the light will become dimmer as the batteries drain. Unlike some lights, it will still be very usable, but you'll know it's time to change the batteries.

Re: "Justup T6" - I don't know. I don't have any first hand knowledge of that particular brand. Generally speaking, I'm not one to buy an unknown drop-in to toy with in my primary flashlight. You can find all sorts of P60-compatible drop-ins: on Amazon, on Ebay, from a variety of sellers on the the Internet (Lumens Factory, for example), and so on. They might be decent quality, they might not - how much are you willing to gamble on it failing in your flashlight?

archimedes

Flashaholic

What does a "long taper" mean". Is there. A glossary of terms on here?

Running in regulation or flat, the output is level and stable.

Running in direct drive, will have tapering output, decreasing as batteries decline.

Some other terms, here ....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/332809

....I saw on Amazon that there is a drop in that claims to be compatible with the Z2. It's called a Justup Cree T6 and claims it's 1000 lumens and is very inexpensive. I am guessing that like in most things in life you get what you pay for and this is probably junk? Again, thank you for all the info. I am sure I will learn lots here

:whistle:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Thank you one and all for the welcome and all of the info.

Whar are those heads? Do they have 4 led's? Where do you source them from?

One on the left is a p60vn with xpl HI 5000k inside
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/p60vnt-1

The other can not be bought(but could be made) with 4x nichia 219bt 4000k and the H17f driver.

Basically the optics give it a huge hot spot, good for closer up and up to moderate distances. There are several optics, I have a frosted one which softens the huge hotspot. Some are narrow optics to focus more, others for more flood. No optics and you have a mule(wall of light) to flood your work area(or path). Many options, too many to recommend one as they excel in different ways.

What actual use do you have in mind?

ven

Flashaholic

For good value, check kaidomain out, not much over $10 gets you a choice of xpl HI LED's, nichia 219's as well. Smooth or orange peel reflectors, single,2 or 3 mode options with memory..............

p60's
Surefire LED and bulb p60's,

Simply swap out

Quad wise, these need to be a snug fit to aid heat dissipation, sometimes just a single copper wrap is enough

Needs to be pressed in to fit due to resistance/fit

Kaidomain xpl HI single mode 4500k(nice!) Not usual wafer thin cheap stuff for the money, alloy housing which feels decent.

This in an m2 for now

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

Ah the old "Any Surefire Z-series addicts out there?" thread! Starting that epic thread has been the highlight of my career here! lovecpf

Anyway, Ive been away for a while but have recently come back to the bright side. I absolutely love the Z series lights and find it the sexiest of the "P60" style lights. I still have the lights that are in that "addicts" thread, but I have since changed the drop in to keep up with the times. Great platform for that...

One of the best things that you can do to both increase runtime and output would be to bore the light for giant 18mm cells so that you can run 2 X 18350, 1 X 18650 rechargeables. This gives you more options and flexibility as to which drop ins you can run. 18mm cells are awesome.

QlKFXGE.jpg

I just bought an Adventure Sport XHP-70 drop in that runs on two 18350 cells and is an amazing fire starting bright light (3000 LUMENS of fury). Ive been out of the game for a couple years but this is Unbelievably bright. Also about a hundred and a half dollars... So pick up several.

Another nod to Malkoff for ultimate reliability needs. Super solid drop ins that I would bet my life on. Great mounted on a shotgun. Both my M91W and M61W will be buried with me.

I have an older Oveready Torchlab triple that still performs nicely but Im going to check out those Sportac units that Ven pointed out. Looks like I need one or more of those...

owfjpUS.jpg

While you can find $10 options as well, I just feel dirty when using them. Spring for the quality drop ins!

In short, the options are numerous. The best part is that you can have a low but long lasting drop in for when the power goes out and you can have a fire starter for when you wanna blind something... All in the same light. P60s are great for this and the Z-series in my opinion looks the best doing it. There are a ton of things for "aesthetics" as well as performance to add to the fun as well.

rvIGO0Z.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Great set ups captain:D I have one of AS drop ins, xhp70 shaved dome flavour in 5000k. None of my z's are bored, tbh i thought it would not be too easy with the already slim body(i dont plan on driving over it any time soon anyway).

xhp70 on the right

Got to love triples and quads

As for the sportac triples, check illumination gear, quite a few flavours there. The 219b and 219c 4000k are superb value. I go for the 2 mode(mainly, have a single mode for my cooly fed on a 26650), as 20% output is more than enough (160lm ish) for general stuff. They also do an xp-g2 neutral, if its anything like the 4000k EDC plus, it will be very nice!

EDCplus , a 219b and 219c 4000k are used daily in work

Pop optics out of the sportac, the 219c works very well(found the 219b has artifacts from the optic holes for some reason)

Very nice 4000k from the EDC's xp-g2's on the far right

Yep love p60's:)