The unspoken part of our EDC.....

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here on the CPF, our EDC is a commonly discussed topic. We hear about pocket lights, 123A/AA lights, knives, multi-tools, etc. But there is on very important part missing.

The Key Ring!

I am on a quest for a key ring. I have the same wantings as many of you probably have. I would like it to be fairly small (but large enough for all my keys and maybe an Arc AAA), light-weight, durable, easy to get keys on and off (only when I want to...can't come apart easily), and of course it needs to be reasonably priced.

Has anybody found such a thing? It doesn't need to be high-tech, but it needs to be very functional.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I haven't found anything that improves on the standard split ring.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I haven't found anything that improves on the standard split ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still a standard key ring for me too.

-Mike

Kiessling

Flashaholic
flat split ring.
I hqve yet to see something that can beat this one ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

DaveT

Enlightened
I'll second Alpha Tea's answer - an earlier post mentioned the Lucky Line items, and I got two of the twisty keyrings (third item in Alpha Tea's post) and one of the pull-apart keyrings (second item).
I replaced the splitrings on the pull-apart with the twisty keyrings (they JUST feed through the hole). Now I can get stuff on and off quickly, and it allows home and key rings to be separated or carried together...including an Arc AAA with BP clip, Leatherman Squirt P4, and on the car keys, a Photon III and a whistle - and a "Stufbak" metal marker on both rings.
Pretty neat products.
Dave

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just have a regular split ring for my keys.
There are two hard plastic key fobs, two Glow Rings, two regular keys, a cylindrical Ace type key (#W700 on it), and a spring-loaded lobster claw type attachment on it.
I usually carry the keyring affixed to the "ignition" key of my electric wheelchair; via the lobster claw type attachment. So I can easily remove the keys to lock or unlock my door and my mail receptacle.

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
The 'Lucky Line Twisty in Alpha Teas post is the best. I 've been using the Twisty for years on my key rings. It will not come apart by accident, yet I can get any key off my Twisty in a matter of seconds. No finger nails bending trying to get keys on or off the ring.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a bootleg "Key Chain" from Berkeleypoint. That is to say I ripped off their own design until I could get around to ordering the genuine article, and wouldn't you know it they don't carry them anymore. I need to post a WTB in B/S/T

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I use a modified split ring that came with some small gadget.
One end is formed into a small eye, with a short lanyard and clip, the other end is bend inward at a right angle, making it easier to add/remove things. Clip it to belt loop, and the keys (and AAA) hang right inside my front pocket without wearing through the pocket lining or interfering with other loose junk.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing I don't like about split rings is that as you put more keys and keyfobs on them, things start to lay funny in the pocket. A soft ring like the twisty will flex and allow keys and fobs to be flatter and conform to a pocket. So, I like the twisty type rings. I also like the Chisco keyrings. You can go here http://www.chisco.com/images/NO_PRICES_CATALOG/ChiscoCatalog15-17.pdf and hit the keyrings page. It's a strip of cloth with a splitring on one end and a clip on the other. That lets me put things at both ends, and the canvas folds in the middle for easier pocket carry.
Joe

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've long used one of those brass quick release types. Two split rings with the release in between. Car keys go on one side, door keys on the other. Arc AAA and multitool stay in pockets.

Phil_B

Enlightened
All my (potential)EDC gear gets a split ring,then I just snap what I want onto a karrabiner.
They're tough,look fine(!) and can be useful in their own right for roping,towing,bodging generally.
Carried one for many years,wouldn't use anything else. HTH,Phil.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the LuckyLine Key Bak really hold heavy keys without deploying?
At work we use the standard keybaks and I've always had to take them apart and increase the tension to keep the keys from sagging. Works fine but then I lose about 6" of line length.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Some years ago, Armament Systems and Procedures, Inc. (ASP) made some stainless steel detachable keyrings for their Key Defender OC Spray products. I bought several of them and still use them.