My Noctigon M43 experience as a regular customer "semi-flashoholic" UI thoughts.

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
My Noctigon M43 experience as a regular customer "semi-flashoholic" UI thoughts.

Okay so I jumped deep into the pool and ordered 5 of them and my first part came in today (This means a big chunk of my flash light collection will be M43's)
My collection is actually pretty sparse.

1 Surfire L1 light (when it first came out)
1 Fenix TK-75 (first gen, heavy work use over 5 years with no issues)
2 Streamlight survivors (current gen)
1 Fenix LD-75c (new, just had it for 3 days)
1. streamlight firevulcan incandescent (very old been kicking around for ages)
2 streamlight Siege led lanterns

The first thing I notice about the light is the amazingly small petite format and the quality build and fit/finish of the flashlight. It just looks like something Apple would design if they were making flashlights. It feels right holding it, its small and fits great on the belt.

The blinking battery indicator is one of my favorite features, it reminds me of the AED blinking light to let the user know its ready to get to work when you need it. During a sudden blackout having this beacon of light to direct you to the flashlight is a great feature and not only that but you know the state of the charge at all times and you know that the light is ready for work. No "Oh poop, dead battery surprises just when you need the light the most"

The light beacon/charge indicator really adds to the premium feel of this light.

The UI. I am using UI level 1 which is what it shipped with. In all honesty, 95% of Users would never need to go past UI-1 and could pretend all other features do not exist. UI-1 is so easy and idiot proof and so much easier that other UIs I have dealt with.

It is pretty simple. click once, you have low
click once it is off.

Wow it behaves like a normal flashlight, no accidental jumping to another level then having to cycle back down etc.. its turn on and turn off. how much simpler can you get.

My wife would never have issues using this light. its simple.

now if you press the button once to turn it on all you have to do is double click to go up brighter or double click to go down to the low level,

(Just like using a mouse, and anyone can follow that simple instruction, hey double click if you want it brighter and double click if you want it less.)

The beauty of it all is if you like it at the brighter level or the lower level it remembers where you left it. and one click on, one click off gets you there. Simple.

I would say low mode (60mA) would cover the majority of power outage needs inside the home. leaving it at low and just turning on and off and its as simple as it gets. I can just hand this to anyone and they can operate it like any flashlight in the last 100 years :)

The issue with a lot of the cool flashlights is you hand this to someone and it would not be surprising for them to all of the sudden somehow end up in strobe mode, or turbo mode then having to go through the whole range of levels to get back to a normal level etc.. The M43 is nice in that you have a Ferrarri hiding underneath but in all purposes its a regular simple flashlight when you need it with no confusion. Hand it over, turn it on and your good, turn it off and its off. Thats it. on and off.

It is much easier to remember a simple hey i want high power, okay double click to turn on at high and click once to turn off.
I want low, then just click. 90% of the time I will just need low so its just click once to start.

I find the hold down for less than 6s for max blast a great UI for this light. all I need to do is (if the light is off, just press and hold and you get the max turbo wall of light) let go of the switch and its off. (Damn simple)

If I am at either moonlight,low,med or high and I hold down I go to turbo max blast I let go and it goes back to the level I was using the light. now if I hold past 6 seconds then it stays at max turbo until I switch off.

So far This has to be in my book the most intuitive UI of the fancy flashlights I have messed around with, its hard to screw up since its easy muscle memory to operate and UI-1 will cover the moon,low,med,high and turbo and its way simpler that the TK-75 or LD75 for example, I find it much more foolproof to operate than those two lights.

I will be doing more with this light and report back but these are my initial findings and its a very positive one so far.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My Noctigon M43 experience as a regular customer "semi-flashoholic" UI thoughts.

If I have read a review on the UI explained as simple as this, I would have gotten an M43.

Nice post, hugodrax!

DMS1970

Enlightened
Re: My Noctigon M43 experience as a regular customer "semi-flashoholic" UI thoughts.

I hated mine.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

hugodrax: Thank you for your helpful post. :)

The user interface for the Meteor is special; a lot of thought and work went into developing it. There is a lot of detailed content in the Russian flashlight forum about how the user interface for the Meteor was developed.

There has been much posted on the flashlight webosphere about the Meteors' interface.

The UI map can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WEb-DpmrKXZ3FYLTFibnYxa1U/view?pli=1

When I first saw it, it reminded me of cellular respiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration

Different, special, that is why I like it.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened

Love the M43, hate the UI.

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened

Just curious I see a few hate the UI but zero details on why?

So far it has been getting heavy use, two others are also using one and they all like the UI since they always know what to expect when using it. They know if it has charge/ready for action, and they know clicking the power button gets them on LOW which is what they are using and it provides a real nice level and beam pattern for work etc..

So far the evaluation is going well. I am going to write up a one sheet brief operators sheet for the M43 flashlight not sure if anyone would be interested here or how I would even post it here but it would be a PDF single sided 1 page sheet.

Looks like I will be ordering more lights they are great little task lights with a punch when you need it and simple to operate/foolproof.

Now the UI on the LD75 is drives me nuts :)

I noticed the little touches like when you run in moonlight, the button backlight drops down to a lower level VS when you double click to run in low you see the backlight illumination level goes up.

I will be checking out the other UI's

the lockout/safety feature is real useful, 6 clicks and the button will flash red one time indicating the M43 is locked. If you do the six clicks again the button will flash green once indicating the M43 is unlocked When doing the 6 clicks they do not have to be timed exactly.

I like the fact that the button power reserve beacon stays flashing regardless of the M43 lockout state.

Last edited:

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened

hugodrax: Thank you for your helpful post. :)

The user interface for the Meteor is special; a lot of thought and work went into developing it. There is a lot of detailed content in the Russian flashlight forum about how the user interface for the Meteor was developed.

There has been much posted on the flashlight webosphere about the Meteors' interface.

The UI map can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WEb-DpmrKXZ3FYLTFibnYxa1U/view?pli=1

When I first saw it, it reminded me of cellular respiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration

Different, special, that is why I like it.

Do you have a link to that content? I am real interested in reading the whole thought process.

The M43 seems built like a tank, very robust I can tell this thing was a labor of love, was it a group of individuals who developed the M43? I there seems to be very little info on the company. You have companies like Surefire,Fenix etc.. with big R&D teams,budgets and this light comes out of nowhere from some mysterious company I cannot seem to find much info on :)

It would be amazing if an M43-R would come out where you just drop the light into a cradle for charging.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have a link to that content? I am real interested in reading the whole thought process.

The M43 seems built like a tank, very robust I can tell this thing was a labor of love, was it a group of individuals who developed the M43? I there seems to be very little info on the company. ... ... ... ...
http://forum.fonarevka.ru/showthread.php?t=27107 Please see the links in the first few posts, and the links in those topics, too.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened

Just curious I see a few hate the UI but zero details on why?

So far it has been getting heavy use, two others are also using one and they all like the UI since they always know what to expect when using it. They know if it has charge/ready for action, and they know clicking the power button gets them on LOW which is what they are using and it provides a real nice level and beam pattern for work etc..

So far the evaluation is going well. I am going to write up a one sheet brief operators sheet for the M43 flashlight not sure if anyone would be interested here or how I would even post it here but it would be a PDF single sided 1 page sheet.

Looks like I will be ordering more lights they are great little task lights with a punch when you need it and simple to operate/foolproof.

Now the UI on the LD75 is drives me nuts :)

I noticed the little touches like when you run in moonlight, the button backlight drops down to a lower level VS when you double click to run in low you see the backlight illumination level goes up.

I will be checking out the other UI's

the lockout/safety feature is real useful, 6 clicks and the button will flash red one time indicating the M43 is locked. If you do the six clicks again the button will flash green once indicating the M43 is unlocked When doing the 6 clicks they do not have to be timed exactly.

I like the fact that the button power reserve beacon stays flashing regardless of the M43 lockout state.

I hate the UI because it's inconsistent and even after having had the light for 2 years I still can't remember the UI, have to break out the user manual every time I use the light.

Last edited: