Fenix Outfitters        
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Default Re: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Quote Originally Posted by Genzod View Post
    When I went back to check this, I looked at the spot/spill angles again on the H52w and H53c. Now they both have 12 degree spot angles.
    That's very funny! I guess I was a little too quick on the TRIG-ger.

But at least you and I got a little math work-out.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post

I really thought someone at ZL was yanking my chain. Turns out, mellowman also mentioned seeing the 10 degree spot angle earlier in this thread, even before I registered. I'm glad someone else here saw it, too. I thought I was losing my mind, haha! Didn't think anyone would believe me.

I concur with mellowman. ZL is only comparing the performance of the Eneloop test figures. It's hard to qualitatively appreciate an extra 5 lumens as "brighter", though.
    Last edited by Genzod; 04-26-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: word order

Flashaholic*

Also we are comparing their C model, which has always been higher CRI and lower output, to the old W model. It would be a better comparison once we see the new W model. For instance, the new SC5w is 75 lumens brighter than the new SC5c. It still wouldn't be as bright as the 52 with a 14500 though.

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Also we are comparing their C model, which has always been higher CRI and lower output, to the old W model. It would be a better comparison once we see the new W model. For instance, the new SC5w is 75 lumens brighter than the new SC5c. It still wouldn't be as bright as the 52 with a 14500 though.
    They invested into the H53c that which was earned by the state of the art LED on buying color. I get it.

Do you think there will be a dividend on economy, too? (Keep in mind, the H52 runtimes were tested with 2000 mAh Eneloops. Whereas the product page for the next generation H53's shows they will be tested with the 2550 mAh Eneloop Pros.)

Trigor mortis:

That frozen to death feeling of futility you get after experiencing a lengthy and completely pointless session of trigonometry.

Someone on the thread about the new SC5c has posted the new runtimes and outputs. The news is very good.

For the same lumens, you get considerably longer run-times--like 15%-20% longer-- even though the CRI is much higher.

Sounds like a very efficient circuit! That's good news.

old age accident, please delete.
    Last edited by Genzod; 04-30-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: blank post

Someone on the thread about the new SC5c has posted the new runtimes and outputs. The news is very good.

For the same lumens, you get considerably longer run-times--like 15%-20% longer-- even though the CRI is much higher.

Sounds like a very efficient circuit! That's good news.
    Zebralight got their first batch in and tested it.

Yeah, the new Cree LED is said to have spectacular performance gains. I'm almost sold on this headlamp. Thanks for the update.

CREE recently announced new XP-L2 leds as an upgrade to existing XP-L. It looks like its only marginal upgrade but not. Actually this is the best upgrade ever! (internal link).

Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    I am curious about this "pre-installed clip" too. If it's not a swiveling clip like on their previous AA headlamps, I am not interested.
    Same here. I was counting on the rotating clip, so I could change the angle of the light when clipped to my shirt, hat, pack strap or whatever.

Anyone else find it silly that they would put a new model up for Pre-Order on their website before they even have any photos available? Just how many individuals out there are going to place a pre-order for a product they can't see an image of? And I mean how hard could it be to have an image ready and available? Just seems backwards to me... Get your images prepared first and then list the product for sale/pre-order....
    Maratac AAA Rev5, AAA Cu Rev4, AAA Brass Rev4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05 v1, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
    Anyone else find it silly that they would put a new model up for Pre-Order on their website before they even have any photos available? Just how many individuals out there are going to place a pre-order for a product they can't see an image of? And I mean how hard could it be to have an image ready and available? Just seems backwards to me... Get your images prepared first and then list the product for sale/pre-order....
    I wonder if the factory in china only makes them, and the guys in TX do the photos/website? So they're actually waiting on them the same as customers? Seems strange, but possible. They may have a prototype for testing, but not anodized or worthy of a photo.
    GOOD TINT!

Photos are up for both version.

I was hoping the edge of the switch could be chamfered like the H600Fd III, but still solid ZL design nevertheless.

Runtimes are still not available yet. Hope they are on par with the new SC5c.

Evolutionary design. I'm cool with that.

And we can all relax about the clip design now, too.

It will still swivel to different angles if clipped on a shirt or lying on its back on a flat surface.

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    I was hoping the edge of the switch could be chamfered like the H600Fd III, but still solid ZL design nevertheless.

Runtimes are still not available yet. Hope they are on par with the new SC5c.
    Look at those curves! I was expecting they would get rid of some of those center ribs, but not the curvy way they did it.

Zebralight is waiting on the first batch to come in so they can test them.

Glad about the clip.

The shape is a bit odd to me, but that won't stop me from buying it.

ugly Design! I really hoped for something different, now I know why they kept their pics hidden for long time!

It's the same type of change that zebralight has done on most of their lights. Nothing surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    ugly Design! I really hoped for something different, now I know why they kept their pics hidden for long time!
    Looks great in a NiteIze headband.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    It's been moving around and toward this shape:

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    It's the same type of change that zebralight has done on most of their lights. Nothing surprising.
    Exactly. It's very much in line with the change from the H600 Mk II to the H600 Mk III. Reduce the number of circumferential grooves, make one central groove that is far wider and shallower than the others.

That's all fine with me--I don't much care. I kinda liked the earliest generation of H52s with a straight tube, too. My guess is that the straight-tube era lacked some of the lateral crush-strength that the groovy-era has--each of the raised ridges gives the tube more stiffness against lateral crushing. But I don't really want my ZL's built for maximum ruggedness, anyhow. ("Watch us drive this 10-ton lorry over our new torch!"). The new design is a decent compromise between strength and simplicity.

My curiosity is all about what's inside, and what comes out through the lens!

I have an early H52Fw with the straight tube and it is wonderful... the new design is disappointing, but better than the grooved H52... and at least they left the deep-carry clip alone!

Unfortunately the H53Fc has similar output (lower when using 14500 burst mode)... so I am only gaining higher CRI, which would be awesome since I love high CRI and neutral/warm tint... I probably won't be purchasing a H53F unless they release a model with significant gains in output, with good tint and decent CRI.

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    I have an early H52Fw with the straight tube and it is wonderful... the new design is disappointing, but better than the grooved H52... and at least they left the deep-carry clip alone!

Unfortunately the H53Fc has similar output (lower when using 14500 burst mode)... so I am only gaining higher CRI, which would be awesome since I love high CRI and neutral/warm tint... I probably won't be purchasing a H53F unless they release a model with significant gains in output, with good tint and decent CRI.
    Not only higher CRI but we're anticipating significant run time gains, as noted above. Another poster mentioned max output for a cool white and neutral version will be substantially higher.

The curved, de-ribbed center probably looks a little sweeter with the lamp nestled into the headband holder. I don't know why ZL omitted that extra image.

Not only higher CRI but we're anticipating significant run time gains, as noted above. Another poster mentioned max output for a cool white and neutral version will be substantially higher.

The curved, de-ribbed center probably looks a little sweeter with the lamp nestled into the headband holder. I don't know why ZL omitted that extra image.
    you seem to have a lot of weight with ZL in that you post something in this thread and then the product page gets updated. the previously ommitted extra image is up.

anyway, 10-20% gains in run time and/or lumens in exchange for a truly significant lumen boost is not an exchange most here would make in view of past posts in this thread. why don't they just stick with the original driver, the run time and lumen gains come from the newer leds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    you seem to have a lot of weight with ZL in that you post something in this thread and then the product page gets updated. the previously omitted extra image is up.
    And there it is.
    Oh Great Wizard of OZL! Post the release announcement for the ZL-H33w...!!!

(...Aw shucks, already used up my last wish.)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    ...anyway, 10-20% gains in run time and/or lumens in exchange for a truly significant lumen boost is not an exchange most here would make in view of past posts in this thread. why don't they just stick with the original driver, the run time and lumen gains come from the newer leds anyway.
    The new driver has the fully programmable UI, huge improvement over the old driver and UI.

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    The new driver has the fully programmable UI, huge improvement over the old driver and UI.
    Funny I should have neglected that aspect of it. It's exactly what I need.

Had ZL released the entire H53 line simultaneously, I don't think many of us (myself included) would be complaining about the lower max output of the CRI version. We'd probably attribute it (aside from the loss of lithium ion support) to the cost of higher CRI, and turn to the H53w and H53 for substantially higher max output. I'd still pay an extra $5 if I could have my 1-3 minute 500 lumen boost back, because burning up the forest with light ROCKS, haha.

For those who want higher power in a compact headlamp, like me, the CR123 version of this lamp (crossing my fingers it is coming) will probably excel in that regard. The H32w could reach 446 lumens without the higher voltage lithium ion battery, if I understand correctly, the data provided was said to be derived from the lower voltage Panasonic primary battery.

But when it comes to headlamps, it's just our "Veruca Salt" nature (myself included) to "want it NOW!" Not having recourse, we attribute our dissatisfaction to poor ZL design selections instead of noticing what it more than likely really is, our version of this headlamp just hasn't been released yet.

I've decided to curb my own dissatisfaction until I see the full H53 line. Then it's "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick asterisk, and I'm all out of bubble gum!" time.

For you newbies on planet Earth who think the world started when you were born, I give you Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, 1971:

Last edited by Genzod; 05-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

Funny I should have neglected that aspect of it. It's exactly what I need.

Had ZL released the entire H53 line simultaneously, I don't think many of us (myself included) would be complaining about the lower max output of the CRI version. We'd probably attribute it (aside from the loss of lithium ion support) to the cost of higher CRI, and turn to the H53w and H53 for substantially higher max output. I'd still pay an extra $5 if I could have my 1-3 minute 500 lumen boost back, because burning up the forest with light ROCKS, haha.
    Based on the new SC5w/c I would expect Around 350 Lm for the H53w.

There will be H53w an H503w?

I have the early H52w with the smooth body, and H502w with ribbed body. I prefer the ribbed body because it feels more secure in the hand when I hold it. Looking at the pictures above, I am not in love with this new design -- half smooth and half ribbed. I wrap Velcro around my Zl headlamps. The Velcro won't wrap well around this uneven, half smooth and half ribbed, body. But I suppose I will have to live with it.

I think the design comes from the sweatshop contractor they hire to make these new lights for them. It's the latest shop that won the manufacturing contract.
    Last edited by davidt1; 05-05-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast