Acebeam        
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Flashaholic

Default Re: New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    There will be H53w an H503w?

I have the early H52w with the smooth body, and H502w with ribbed body. I prefer the ribbed body because it feels more secure in the hand when I hold it. Looking at the pictures above, I am not in love with this new design -- half smooth and half ribbed. I wrap Velcro around my Zl headlamps. The Velcro won't wrap well around this uneven, half smooth and half ribbed, body. But I suppose I will have to live with it.

I think the design comes from the sweatshop contractor they hire to make these new lights for them. It's the latest shop that won the manufacturing contract.
    That's a pretty bold claim that Zebralight is using a sweatshop to make their lights. Where did you get this information from?

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    The new driver has the fully programmable UI, huge improvement over the old driver and UI.
    what you consider "fully" programmable UI and what I do are not the same. besides I've spent the last 4 years building muscle memory of the different modes...why would I want to reorder them now and frustrate myself.

edit: the only useful thing in the new driver I see is lower beacon mode...which I never use but it is nice to have.
    Last edited by mellowman; 05-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.

I don't think the new UI would be frustrating to current users. G5 sounds like the usual UI. G6 and G7 are the programmable modes that allow you to customize it. I think it's great since you can now use H2a and H2b instead of always be locked into H1, which just kills the battery and gets too hot for 99% of my uses.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I don't think the new UI would be frustrating to current users. G5 sounds like the usual UI. G6 and G7 are the programmable modes that allow you to customize it. I think it's great since you can now use H2a and H2b instead of always be locked into H1, which just kills the battery and gets too hot for 99% of my uses.
    if by customize you mean reorder the existing modes then yes customize.

well given the new H1 is the old H2a you don't need to customize!

edit: of course I'm referring to boost mode, just being cheeky.

Quote Originally Posted by NPL View Post
    That's a pretty bold claim that Zebralight is using a sweatshop to make their lights. Where did you get this information from?
    I came up with that using deductive reasoning.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    you seem to have a lot of weight with ZL in that you post something in this thread and then the product page gets updated. the previously ommitted extra image is up.
    I don't know if Genzod has any special relationship with ZL (I doubt it), but I do think it is pretty clear that someone at ZL is reading this thread. For instance, I pointed out a typo on the GoogleDocs spreadsheet, and a bit later the typo was fixed.

It's okay--I appreciate the fact that people at ZL are listening to us, and sometimes making the changes that we request.

(And sometimes not making them, but that's life.)

Flashaholic

I came up with that using deductive reasoning.
    "Deductive reasoning is a logical process in which a conclusion is based on the accordance of multiple premises that are generally assumed to be true."

Claiming that ZL are made in a sweatshop because the design doesn't suit your functional and aesthetic requirements is far from deductive. I find it misleading and unfair as it has absolutely zero evidence supporting your claim. If it was meant to be a joke, my apologies for not catching on to the humour.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    I don't know if Genzod has any special relationship with ZL (I doubt it), but I do think it is pretty clear that someone at ZL is reading this thread. For instance, I pointed out a typo on the GoogleDocs spreadsheet, and a bit later the typo was fixed.
    psssst...hey, HEY! (looks left...looks right...leans into ear with a hand cover gesture) green shapeshifting lizard eye kitten eating aliens from the Draconian star system live in underground bases and control world governments through covert infiltration. They arrived in 1947 and thwarted an effort by JFK to unmask the deception in 1963!

Don't believe me? WHY DO YOU THINK ZL'S FLASHLIGHTS ARE GREEEEEEEN? ......HUH! HUHHHH?

"Deductive reasoning is a logical process in which a conclusion is based on the accordance of multiple premises that are generally assumed to be true."

Claiming that ZL are made in a sweatshop because the design doesn't suit your functional and aesthetic requirements is far from deductive. I find it misleading and unfair as it has absolutely zero evidence supporting your claim. If it was meant to be a joke, my apologies for not catching on to the humour.
    Sounds like you work for them. Provide irrefutable proof that your lights are not made in sweatshops and I will believe you. Otherwise, your post means nothing to me.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Sounds like you work for them. Provide irrefutable proof that your lights are not made in sweatshops and I will believe you. Otherwise, your post means nothing to me.
    Can we take things down a notch here ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Can we take things down a notch here ?
    Let's all agree that the burden of proof is always on the maker of potentially damaging accusation. That's the way it is in the USA and most other reasonable places on this planet.

Discussion is fine, but (legitimate) concerns of shilling and similar should be privately directed to staff, not posted on open threads to argue and discredit.

Thank you all.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Discussion is fine, but (legitimate) concerns of shilling and similar should be privately directed to staff, not posted on open threads to argue and discredit.

Thank you all.
    I didn't mean to encourage further discussion--the discussion was off topic, libelous and pointless. I meant simply to end it with the thought and hopefully agreement that no one should be expected to prove any denigrating accusation as unfounded.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Genzod View Post
    Let's all agree that the burden of proof is always on the maker of potentially damaging accusation. That's the way it is in the USA and most other reasonable places on this planet.
    Totally agree!

Taking things back to the H53c, I personally like the design tweaks that were made and looking forward to feedback on tint and runtimes from those who pre-ordered.

Taking things back to the H53c, I personally like the design tweaks that were made and looking forward to feedback on tint and runtimes from those who pre-ordered.
    ZL pulled the H32w from the product page. No intentions to reorder. I'm hoping that's a signal that the H33 is not too far behind. The extra voltage from the CR123 seems to boost the max output to 446 lumens on that lamp, and if I can get that or more in a soon to come H33w or c, that would be my perfect headlamp. Gives me a little extra oomph for finding trail blazes on trees and rocks. Better than 285 lm anyway.

I'm not all that concerned about the loss of 14400 support on the H53. It's simply because my needs are a little narrower than most. I take lithium primaries to fastpack on trails and replace them at mail drops every 2.5-3days. I'd never have the 500 lumen max output there where I'd need it anyway. At home, I usually don't run with a light, but when I get my trail replacement, I'll use the NIMHs to lower battery cost. I wouldn't need 500 lm there.

There's only a perceptual increase in brightness of 20% going from 285 to 500 lm using Steven's Power law--not much at all--still a deal at $5 though, haha. Comparing the potential gain the H53w might have over the H53c, 285-360 lm, the perceptual margin shrinks to about 11%. Neutral tint is good enough for me. I just don't want to experience cool white psychosis again after a long night of trail running with that kind of office light.

I want a compact headlamp with temporary boost to 500 lumens. If the H33w increases from 446 to 521 like I think it might, we're even-Steven, and that's my lamp. It doesn't have to be the H53c.

Since we seem to have a silent troll on the thread, I'd like to say, I sure would like to see ZL come out with a infinite rotary dimmer with variable travel and some kind of click in the knob at certain outputs so I can have an idea where I am in the scroll. Just saying!

Last edited by Genzod; 05-06-2017 at 09:12 AM.

you missed a better meme give the today's date.

May 6th....Sith...get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    ugly Design! I really hoped for something different, now I know why they kept their pics hidden for long time!
    I certainly don't care for the design of the body...
    Maratac AAA Rev5, AAA Cu Rev4, AAA Brass Rev4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05 v1, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
    I certainly don't care for the design of the body...
    I can't wait to press my undulating thumb against that ergonomically delicious curve...mmm! That or play chess with it. Looks like it would make a great substitute for a King piece. (You know it's true...)
    Last edited by Genzod; 05-07-2017 at 12:31 AM.

you missed a better meme give the today's date.

May 6th....Sith...get it.

May the sith
    be with you!

I noticed over at the Armytek site, their high CRI Tiara only has an output of 280 lumens even with lithium ion support, whereas their other lamps in this line push up to 610 lumen in turbo. I'm wondering if ZL was likewise restricted? Heat limitations maybe? Experts please reply!

Default New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

That's an older, much warmer (2800-3000K) LED. Not nearly as efficient. Their other lamps are xpl.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    That's an older, much warmer (2800-3000K) LED. Not nearly as efficient. Their other lamps are xpl.
    There's quite a few others with older XML LEDs and their OTF lumens still push the upper 500s.

Not high cri 3000K xml2.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Not high cri 3000K xml2.
    Well, the XPLs aren't hi CRI's either. And I know the lower you go in temperature, the more inefficiency arises. I was suggesting this trend of inefficiency is the reason why it's pretty pointless to even have lithium ion support...it doesn't seem to get you the boosts of the more efficient temperatures when comparing orange to orange in the same family of LEDs. I'm wondering if heat limitation is possibly the reason why even with lithium ion support, the boosts aren't (or don't seem to me to be at least) possible.
    Last edited by Genzod; 05-07-2017 at 07:50 PM.

It would have been nice if ZL had provided a reason why no boost rather than giving me a simply No when I asked them. Would end speculation and maybe better acceptance of this limitation for H52 series successor.

I think the inefficiency argument is a bit exaggerated as the inefficiency is already reflective in the reduce lumens. The runtimes and temps should be similar as compared to the cool white LEDs. You seem to be reducing lumens, reducing run time and increasing temps and that isn't the case. Given cool white, neutral and hi-cri version of same LED and applying same voltage and current the only difference will be the lumen output as some of those lumens are lost by the additional phosphors that broaden/shift the wavelenghts emitted.

Maybe the reason no boost besides previous speculation of new driver not fitting is that boosting the Hi CRI version of the new XP-L2 LEDs in the H53 reflector gives a horrid beam or spot profile with obvious tint rings. Which makes me a bit worried even the non-boosted output may not look that great either but be acceptable to the masses.

It would have been nice if ZL had provided a reason why no boost rather than giving me a simply No when I asked them. Would end speculation and maybe better acceptance of this limitation for H52 series successor.
    It costs less at full price than its predecessor at full price right. I'm guessing its boost only driver is less expensive than the buck + boost driver in its predecessor, hence the reduction in price.
    Imalent, Armytek, Gearbest, and Banggood are still in business for the same reason Logan Paul is still making money.
    Imalent, Failure Imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    It costs less at full price than its predecessor at full price right. I'm guessing its boost only driver is less expensive than the buck + boost driver in its predecessor, hence the reduction in price.
    That might answer the question, "why no support for the 14500?"

But it does not answer the question, "how come the H53c maxes out at 285 lumens, when the new SC5c puts out 485 lumens *with this same emitter* (i.e. XPL2 Easywhite, 4000k, 93-95 CRI), running the same cell (AA Eneloop), and with what sounds like the same driver circuit (same voltage specs, same revamped, programmable UI, etc.)?"

Somebody upthread suggested that the SC5c's larger head might accommodate a larger inductor, and thus greater output, and the H53c is limited by the size of its head.

That might be right!

Or it might be that they have the same inductors, but ZL wants to throttle the H53c back for heat-management reasons.

Or there could be other reasons I can't even imagine.

But one thing we can rule out is that it is impossible to get 485 lumens out of *this* emitter with an AA Eneloop. We know it's possible, because they are doing it in the SC5c.

I think the inefficiency argument is a bit exaggerated as the inefficiency is already reflective in the reduce lumens. The runtimes and temps should be similar as compared to the cool white LEDs. You seem to be reducing lumens, reducing run time and increasing temps and that isn't the case. Given cool white, neutral and hi-cri version of same LED and applying same voltage and current the only difference will be the lumen output as some of those lumens are lost by the additional phosphors that broaden/shift the wavelenghts emitted.

Maybe the reason no boost besides previous speculation of new driver not fitting is that boosting the Hi CRI version of the new XP-L2 LEDs in the H53 reflector gives a horrid beam or spot profile with obvious tint rings. Which makes me a bit worried even the non-boosted output may not look that great either but be acceptable to the masses.
    Lot of that flew right over my airspace! I do at least understand both parts of N-O in your response from ZL, but not why they remained silent on it.

All I'm really saying is, even with lithium ion support, the AT hi-CRI had a miserable output ceiling. The ZL does not have the advantage of the Li-ion battery, but has slightly better max output as you might expect with a more efficient LED. Sure the AT has an older LED with lower temp tint. I'm not saying they are equal. Neither am I saying inefficiency is the problem. I'm just thinking that even if they still had some lumens they could squeeze out of the LED in reserve due to the efficiency of the LED, heat issues would result that couldn't be handled by the small casing, so they cut it off there as a design constraint, as wrong a speculation as that might be. I'm really just surmising to set up the question--to explain where I'm at with this in hope some clarity might come of it, not trying to assert a viewpoint or make an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    That might answer the question, "why no support for the 14500?"

But it does not answer the question, "how come the H53c maxes out at 285 lumens, when the new SC5c puts out 485 lumens *with this same emitter* (i.e. XPL2 Easywhite, 4000k, 93-95 CRI), running the same cell (AA Eneloop), and with what sounds like the same driver circuit (same voltage specs, same revamped, programmable UI, etc.)?"

Somebody upthread suggested that the SC5c's larger head might accommodate a larger inductor, and thus greater output, and the H53c is limited by the size of its head.

That might be right!

Or it might be that they have the same inductors, but ZL wants to throttle the H53c back for heat-management reasons.

Or there could be other reasons I can't even imagine.

But one thing we can rule out is that it is impossible to get 485 lumens out of *this* emitter with an AA Eneloop. We know it's possible, because they are doing it in the SC5c.
    Exactly! I was expecting the H53c to perform close to the SC5c stats--reason I was so disappointed in the 285 figure. I thought perhaps the lighter weight smaller case of the H53c made thermal management difficult. You need a good cross sectional area of conductor metal to carry away heat rapidly, and a lot of surface area to be in contact with cooler air.

Maybe *2*85 is a TYPO.....!!!!! (It wouldn't be the first time, you know. )

The H52 series had boost to 500+ lumens. The SC5c has boost of 475 lumens with same LED and presumable same or similar driver as H53c. H53c has the same head size as the H52 series. If the H52 size head could manage the heat then an even more efficient LED with less lumens will work as well for the H53c. So heat management reason is NOT the reason for lack of boost.

covered this back a page or two.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast