olight s2 baton or olight s2r baton?

germandowski

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all,
I'm undecided about which of these two torches to buy, my doubts relate to high and medium mode.

In High Mode, the s2r has about 100 lumens more than s2 but it also lasts about 45 minutes less (which is not a few).
QUESTION 1: Is it so visible a difference of 100 lumens for the human eye, in this case?

In medium mode, the speech is the same. The s2r has 40 lumens more than s2 but it also lasts about 6 hours less.
QUESTION 2: Equal to the one above. Is it so visible a 40 lumens difference for the human eye, in this case?

Ps. I know I could use turbo mode (after it drops to about 500 lumens) in s2 to have the same s2r lumens (in high mode) but so I would have a lifetime less than s2r of about 30 minutes.

You probably think I'm crazy to be so fussy but I hope you do not judge me :laughing:
If the difference of lumens perceived by our eye is almost nothing, I would surely buy the s2 (because it really lasts longer than s2r).

Thanks in advance for your time.
(I apologize for my bad ingelian but I used google translator.)

G. I.

Newly Enlightened
I have doubts that one can tell the 100 lumens difference between 1050 and 950 without an instrument. Now between 101 and 1 is a different story :D

DMS1970

Enlightened
100 lumens is nothing. If you owned both lights, you would not be able to tell which was which if you put them side by side.

I have been caught up myself in the lumens race. When zebralight introduced the mk600, I bought one. When they upgraded to the mkii and mkii I bought those as well. The lights got more compact each time, which was a bonus, but inside my house I cannot perceive the difference between mkii and mkiii. Even the 750 lumen sc600 looks very close to the 1300 lumen mkiii.

for me with brightness perception, I have not been able to make myself like hi cri (warm tint) lights. When I compare them to cool white flashlights, they look much dimmer, even with similar lumens...

germandowski

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for answering my question!

I had to try the s2 and the s30r iii last night by pointing the trees about 40/50 meters away.
Why at 500 lumens the s30r iii was brighter than s2 (always at 500 lumens)?
Because the s2 has the lith lens and instead the s30r iii does not have it. For this reason?
Or because the s30r iii has a greater lighting distance than the s2 (188 meters> 144 meters) and therefore at 40/50 meters it seems to be brighter as it is more concentrated (I do not know if I explained it). For this?
Or for both aspects? :laughing:

Still last night, I also tried the s2 at 500 lumens and 400 lumens ... the difference I noticed but really mild (visible only through photo comparison)

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight S1 Baton with 500 lumens, and my father has the upgraded one, with 900 lumens on turbo...

We just happened to be messing around with them last night shining them on the ceiling to compare. I could really tell the difference between his 900 and my 500.

But, I suspect shining them on a light colored ceiling doesn't tell much of a story... Shining them outside in the dark on trees 50 feet away tells a clearer tale of what they can really do. His appears to be substantially brighter... that's a 400 lumen difference.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it's something to help provide a comparison. I don't know if I'd be able to really see 100 lumens difference if I were asked to.

I just checked those lights out, nice!

I'd love to hear which you end up purchasing and why.

TomZ

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for answering my question!

I had to try the s2 and the s30r iii last night by pointing the trees about 40/50 meters away.
Why at 500 lumens the s30r iii was brighter than s2 (always at 500 lumens)?
Because the s2 has the lith lens and instead the s30r iii does not have it. For this reason?
Or because the s30r iii has a greater lighting distance than the s2 (188 meters> 144 meters) and therefore at 40/50 meters it seems to be brighter as it is more concentrated (I do not know if I explained it). For this?
Or for both aspects? :laughing:

Still last night, I also tried the s2 at 500 lumens and 400 lumens ... the difference I noticed but really mild (visible only through photo comparison)

S30RIII has a normal reflector so you get a bit more beam intensity in the middle
Still has a wide throw..the TIR lens on the S2/S2R (and other models) spreads the light around more it diffuses it more even spread. Been the same for every Olight I've tested with the TIR lens (which I quite like). So it depends on what you want range or a more flood type light. The optic is the key there.

germandowski

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight S1 Baton with 500 lumens, and my father has the upgraded one, with 900 lumens on turbo...

We just happened to be messing around with them last night shining them on the ceiling to compare. I could really tell the difference between his 900 and my 500.

But, I suspect shining them on a light colored ceiling doesn't tell much of a story... Shining them outside in the dark on trees 50 feet away tells a clearer tale of what they can really do. His appears to be substantially brighter... that's a 400 lumen difference.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it's something to help provide a comparison. I don't know if I'd be able to really see 100 lumens difference if I were asked to.

I just checked those lights out, nice!

I'd love to hear which you end up purchasing and why.

TomZ

The story is long, however the olight has informed me that it offers me a 50% discount on these two models. The problem is that the s2r is comprised of battery and battery charge. The s2 does not.
The s2r i would have it for about 37 € while the s2 i would have it for 25 € (+10 € battery charger, +20 € 3600mAh battery)

In the end, the s2r costs me 37 euros, the s2 costs me 55 euros.
I would say it would make more sense to buy the s2r, since with the price difference I could buy a secondary battery to keep with me.

Thank you again to everyone for your help.